LCD recommendation for £700 - Watch mainly SD content

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by parmsuk, Feb 6, 2009.

1. parmsuk

parmsuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Looking for some opinions. Buying either an LCD 40" or Plasma 42" for my father who watches at the moment SD materials (freeview, ntl and dvd). However, in the future he will probably upgrade to a blu-ray and also HD receivers so I want to make sure the TV we purchase is still suitable.

Any recommendations from the LCD forum? budget is approx £700 for an 40" screen size

I'm still not to sure if I should go down the LCD route or Plasma route hence the same posting in the PLASMA forum....

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Although this is called the "Which LCD TV Should I Buy" forum, I think it's fair to say most contributors treat it as a "Which Flat Panel TV Should I Buy" forum - so you should receive fairly impartial LCD/plasma advice...

...That said, get a plasma :D

Seriously though - for SD viewing, and assuming he's coming from a CRT, I'd recommend stretching an extra £50 & getting the 1080p Panasonic TH-42PZ80B (Blu-ray will look better on this)... Or save yourself £150 & get the 768p Panasonic TH-42PX80B (SD will look better on this) :)

3. Jixes

Jixes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Panasonic TH42PX80, excellent on SD broadcasts. Or you could wait for that models replacement expected to be avalaible in the UK in March. But expect a higher price.