1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Rear Projection or DLP?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Suave, May 26, 2005.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi Everyone!

I was in Vancouver, Canada last week and though I would share my views on what I saw! I was able to see a 70" Sony Qualia Screen at $18000 CAD - and yes the picture was lovely, it really was but I just kept thinking is it $18k worth of picture? I am not too sure about that though!!!

What did REALLY IMPRESS me was 2 separate 60" Sony screens which were priced at $5000 CAD (about £2300) and I really have to say the picture on both of them was EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE. I genuinely thought they were both DLP until the saleman told me that Sony do not support DLP and that they were LCD sets. Just on watching the picture, you wanted one (at that price, if you know what I mean) as opposed to the qualia which left you saying, wow, great pic, but not worth the money!!

So my question is, is DLP picture even better than what I saw or has LCD now caught up? Not to be funny or anything but I have near perfect vision and colour recognition (as verified by avaition medical examiners!). I however, have not seen a really good demo of a DLP set! On a different note, I saw Star Wars ROTS at a very decent cinema there and interestingly enough, it was filmed in something called "Cinema DLP".

Suave!

2. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think lcd has improved greatly and has had more time to mature so has less negative issues "at the moment". But i think this is the wrong place to ask this question as after all this is the dlp section so expect pro dlp replys. :)

As you say you have seen both so let your own eyes be the judge !

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's so, so dependent on your own visual acuity and preferences. There is no simple answer to the "which is best" question - only opinion from people who have had happy and unhappy experiences. You can only use such opinion (of which there is inevitably more negative than positive - that's just human nature) to guide you as to what to watch for. After that, it's up to whoever is buying.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I agree with TYN. :D

Except when it comes to 65' displays. I prefer DLP's :devil:

5. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gotta get me a 65" or bigger next, I'll just blame Razor for the decision :D

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Its nice to see I'm getting blamed for something positive for once :laugh:

:hiya: LV426

I noticed you didnt mention rainbows, well done mate :smashin:

7. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi all again!

My thinking was maybe the LCD rear projection screens have caught up with the best of the DLP technology in terms of picture quality as like I said, the 60" Sonys were very impressive indeed. Its my own fault really, as I really have not had the proper opportunity to check out any of the DLP sets which I am led to believe offers a far better picture. If LCD technology has not progressed to the level of DLP sets then I guess I am in for a real treat as I can only conclude that the picture will be even better than the Sony LCD's I saw in Canada - (I cant wait!!). Ironically, I went down to my local Sony Centre today and told them about what I saw. They had on demo a 50" Sony LCD RPTV. Compared to what I saw, I have to say, it was nowhere near as good as what I saw in Vancouver - the picture just wasnt that impressive. Go figure!They told me that the set was on sale at £1800 and that the 60" version was £3500!!! I wish I could get a decent demo of a DLP set somewhere! One of the latest Home Cinema mags has a test of the Samsumg 50", Toshiba 45/50" and the Sagem 45" DLP sets so I will see what they say - but ultimately I prefer what my eyes tell me!!

Suave!

8. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is really only one way to see which technology is best for any individual and it is practically impossible to achieve.set up identical screen sizes side by side with various syncronised inputs and sit in front of them hour after hour.

9. Bombstylz

Bombstylz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [edit]
    I am alos looking to buy a new tv, probably about 56", and am leaning towards the Samsung DLP, vs a Sony LCD RP. Any more input?

I am sure I will find a thread about the Samsung DLP's. Going to check... Cya all, thanks.
    [edit]

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    [EDIT]
    I would personally stay away from LCD rear pros. To my knowledge none are HD compatible and the picture form a LCD rear pro is no where near as good as a DLP. LCD's also suffer from screen burn and poor blacks. Samsung currently make very good DLP displays and I would put their 50' DLP set as the best 50' DLP you can buy at the moment.

I have a RD65 which is a slight larger screen (65') and I am over the moon with the picture quality.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1633578&postcount=325

I would say that DLP technology has the best picture representation over all formats CRT, Plasma, LCD. This is my opinion only but I have researched this topic heavily before I purchased my current display.

:thumbsup:

The above applies to cjgpers :hiya:

Good luck to both of you :D

11. Bombstylz

Bombstylz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor.
    I will look into the 50.
    How about the 56", any info on that?

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Bombstylz :hiya:

I dont think the 56' is being released for another month or two (Europe), I'm not sure queit sure. If they use the same technology as they have in the 50' there will be no problem with the picture quality. These DLP HD projectors can produce an image around the 100' mark without loss of quality. My father has a infocus DLP HD2+ front pro at around 120' and the picture is excellent.

13. Bombstylz

Bombstylz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [EDIT]

Razor my man, :hiya:

Check it out,. http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010045232&catid=11299

Im in Canada, and thats the model im looking at. Im going to the actual store tonight to have a look in person.

What do you think? spec wise, and what not....

I am kinda bummed b/c just yesterday this set was at $2999.99 on sale, i think for a few days only, and today back up $500 ... :mad:

But, whatever, I know a guy at this store and he can give a good deal, I hope..

I got a deal on my 47" Panny RearPro Wide screen set. (wish it was a sammy dlp... :rolleyes: )

This DLP is for my dad. His old 53 incher square, BIG , set is hittin the crappers..... Time for a DLP baby... :clap:

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    [EDIT]
    Bombstylz

The spec of the samsung looks fine, :thumbsup: . Are there any posts in the US/Canadian forums on this set? Look for any reliability issues or faults, if it is the same as the 50' version I doubt you will find any real issues.

Looks a nice set, I look forward to seeing one when it reaches the UK. :D

15. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FWIW, I'm looking at returning my 50" Samsung DLP for a 50" Sony LCD RP or a 42" plasma. I know the DLP is brighter and displays blacks better, but I don't think I can live with the rainbows and the eyestrain so for me I think the alternatives will sadly be better (gutted, the Samsung is a fantastic piece of design and for the most part the PQ is great).
    I've got until Tuesday morning to reject the Sammy and although I really don't want to, I think I have no choice.

16. Bombstylz

Bombstylz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor :hiya:

I got the 56' set. It comes Monday, can't wait.......

Got a good deal on it. The sale for it ended yesterday, so it was $500 more today, but they forgot to take the price sticker down, so I got the sale price. Plus I was able to work him to get the stand, and % yr extended warrenty... :thumbsup:

So, cant wait until Monday, and see how it looks in the living room..

Cya guyss.
    till monday....

Mike, Toronto, Canada.....
    (Now with a 56' Sammy DLP, well, in a few days officially, lol)

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Bombstylz

Great news mate :clap: , you must let us know how you get on with this set. Maybe you could post a few pictures of the set in action for us UK/Euro members. Im glad you got a good price too :smashin:

:)

18. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony LCD rear projection tvs sold here in America are actually the ones that impress me the most. Those Sony screens really do stand out in quality in comparison to other brands. I suspect the original poster may have been looking at one of the same screens. They are certainly HD compatible, and as far as I know LCDs don't get screen burn. The blacks look as good as any of the rear projection screens I've seen, if not better.

In my opinion the overall best picture goes to the newest plasmas, then Sony crt, then lcds, then rear projection.

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Abit :hiya:

Hello from over the pond :D

LCD rear pros do suffer with screen burn as a mate of mine found out when his son paused a game and left it on all day and night. :eek:

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/SonyKDS70XBR100SXRDTV.php

Although I havent seen the Sony 70' I am very intrested to see it in action. One thing I will ask about the Sony 70'? Is the screen very reflective as I saw one picture of the set in action and you could see the whole room behind it. The 70' sony if it is the same set we are on about is, Silicon X-tal Reflective Display (SXRD) and not LCD, I dont think this suffers from screen burn. There is a cheaper 70' LCD Sony rear pro.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony.../sem/rpsm/oid/82156/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The only problem with CRT is they dont make them big enough. :(

You guy and girls in the US are lucky, you have such a large range of big displays to choose from. Again although I havent seen this set I would love to own a 82' Mitsubishi. Have you seen this set in action?

20. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Greetings Razor.

I had always read that LCDs didn't suffer from burn in. Could it be something to do with it being rear projection? Warning: Non-expert asking.

Two stores near me have that set on display. In one store it looks fairly impressive and the other mediocre. Stupid stores always ruin HD demos!

The smaller Sony screens are better though as I don't think 1280x720 resolution looks good in screen sizes that large. The smaller ones look noticeably brighter, more colorful, and more impressive overall as the pixels are less visible. I can't recall noticing any reflections of those screens that would interfere with proper viewing.

I'm not a real big fan of huge screens to the extent that you start seeing individual pixels. Around 30 inches would be the biggest I'd go for 720 and 50 for 1080.

When I used to do medium format still photography (roughly IMAX size) I held to the same principle of not enlarging too much. I always wanted to retain that stunning creamy smooth intense color, contrast, and detail as much as possible.

34 inch would be about it for hd crts. The best, like from Sony, are really nice. That's a good enough size for me so long as the picture quality is very high. You really don't need a huge screen to see the benefits of HD.

I also watch HD on my computer monitor and you can very easily see the difference between HD and a DVD. It's a night and day difference even on a little 17" crt computer monitor.

There are a number of huge Mitsubishis in the stores near me but I can't say for sure if one of those models is the one you are mentioning. I'll maybe check tomorrow after the race (Indy 500) as I'll be doing some shopping.

I'm sure the UK will have plenty more options available once your HD services are up and running. More HD markets mean better prices and better displays for everyone. Well, in theory at least.

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Abit :hiya:

LCD flat panel screens also suffer from screen burn but the effect only lasts a few hours. LCD rear pros a slightly different and suffer the same problems as CRT rear pros. :)

Unfortunately we dont have any 1080 DLP displays all are 1280x720 :(

I have a Optoma RD65 which is a slightly different model to your US one. I dont have any issues with pixelation and the screen size is 65' :)

There is a theroy that says you cant get the best out of HD unless the screen size is 37' or bigger. As you were saying there isnt a great deal of difference with HD on a 17' screen. The benifits of all that extra detail is lost as the picture isnt big enough to show them off.

I think it will take the UK a long while before we catch you up in the US, if ever. :confused:

Here is a link for my dream TV :clap:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=94

BTW how much of your viewing is HD? :smashin:

Sheep :hiya:

I agree. A reply would of been nice. :confused:

22. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I thought some had the higher res, no?

NQOCD ;)

:rolleyes:

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Mrmoo :hiya: always a pleasure.

I think the newer gen chips have 1920x1080 but most DLPs around today are 1280x720 ie HD2, HD2+. I just wish HD would hurry up :lease:

Theres a thread in the HDTV section about 720p and 1080p.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214300

I guess not :clown:

:smashin:

24. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just to correct something posted earlier: there is no evidence to support the view that LCDs suffer screen burn at all. Some (but not all) direct view LCD panels get a short term image retention of sorts, but unlike Plasma or CRT this is not permanent damage.

LCD RPs do not suffer screen burn any more than DLPs do (and that's nil).

25. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    lcds do suffer from something called "temporary image persistance" where if a static image is displayed on screen for a while, it may stay on the screen for a while like burn in but isnt permanent.

26. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It is not permanent and even to get the temporary burn-in would take abnormal use, like days being paused on the same image. So in the real world this is not even an issue.