LCD quality vs best CRTs

Bluestraw

Established Member
Reaction score
Something I read this morning made me wonder... In the 'New Sony LCDs - When' thread, the following comment appeared :

Just checked out the V32 in my local Sony Centre. The experiment I conducted was simple. I watched Michael Palin's Himalaya DVD at home on my 28" Sony WEGA widescreen (2005 model) then went in and tested on the V32 in progressive mode via component. Result? Identical. Maybe a tad better colour on the V32 but basically identical. I think that's an amazing result for the V32. That an LCD can deliver a picture via DVD as good as my top of the range CRT is remarkable really.
I am also in a similar position - I have a Sony FQ80, and with DRC100 mode I already am pretty impressed wth DVD playback. However, I was expecting that, once I connect up my new 9830 (if I ever get it!) to a HTPC, and watch a properly upscaled progressive DVI image, this difference would be noticeable!

Is this a reasonable assumption, or am I hoping for too much?!?! Has anyone else 'upgraded' from e.g. a Sony DRC CRT to a LCD, and could share their experiences?

Anybody?? Surely plenty of people here have upgraded to LCD from a decent CRT?!

For an LCD TV to produce a picture on par with a top of the range CRT when displaying SD material is indeed an amazing accomplishment.

Don't forget, the LCD screen is made for HD sources, and anyone with an LCD monitor will know the problems these screens have when displaying non native resolutions.

Your HTPC setup will provide superb DVD images, but HD material will look stunning. :thumbsup:

Ben

Just upgraded from a 28 inch Sony FQ70 to V32 LCD seriese.

The screen is beyond my widest expectations (after reading this forum and having no real knowledge of teh technology first hand) with both off air digital (on par with old ctr and external box) if not crisper and remembering that this is a comparison with a crt that is 4 inches smaller.

Dvd's are big bright bold solid picture... forget the upscaling toss that every one else talks about and use your eyes to judge the picture.... god we're not pixel counting cyborgs yet!!!

bobbytoad said:
Just upgraded from a 28 inch Sony FQ70 to V32 LCD seriese.

The screen is beyond my widest expectations (after reading this forum and having no real knowledge of teh technology first hand) with both off air digital (on par with old ctr and external box) if not crisper and remembering that this is a comparison with a crt that is 4 inches smaller.

Dvd's are big bright bold solid picture... forget the upscaling toss that every one else talks about and use your eyes to judge the picture.... god we're not pixel counting cyborgs yet!!!

Thanks. Sounds promising... Has anyone else upgraded from a Sony TV with DRC, e.g. FQ75, FQ80, FQ85? I think the FQ70 was not a DRC model (resolution enhancement), so a comparision on that would be great to see!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom