LCD quality using NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by heyzy, Nov 7, 2005.

1. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a panasonic lx52 it got delivered to my Dads house.I set it up there and was well impressed using NTL via scart(rgb).When i took it home the difference in quality using the same setup/settings also using NTL via scart(rgb) was a shock.The picture quality was no where near as good.I then had a closer look at the quality using my old sony CRT and compared it with my Dads and i could see his TV had a slightly better picture than mine.
    Reading posts on this forum suggests that an LCD will look worse if there is a problem with the source.Has anybody else experienced this and is there anyway i can improve my NTL incoming signal as i am sure if i complain to NTL they will try to blame it on the LCD.

2. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you checked that RGB is the selected scart output in your NTL settings and not composite/svideo? Are you sure you're connecting via the TV scart (and not the VCR scart) of the set-top box?

3. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Rgb is selected and i am connected to the Tv scart output on the box.

4. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check your scart cable. In some cheap cables not all 21 pins are fully RGB wired. (As I once found out the hard way :suicide: )

5. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers i will try that later.But to be honest i dont think it is that as i used an old cheap scart cable at my Dads.

6. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a new Scart lead QED P2110 which should arrive tomorrow.Hope i see some improvement but i still think its an NTL quality issue

7. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Afternoon,

I had the same issue with my Plasma screen, when i first switced it on I was totally shocked at the quality i was getting (Sony KDEP42XS1) subsequent phone calls to NTL (two engineers visited!) and they could not improve it!

Bad pixelation on faces, blur on the footie etc

Apparently the pq can be dependant on how far you are away from the transmitter/signal booster.

needless to say, I binned it and got Sky, which is so much better! (and you get more channels for your money)

Good luck!

8. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the same problem with my NTL even on a CRT, the PQ from NTL boxes can be a tad "variable" to say the least

9. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is my only option to bin NTL and get Sky Digital, or has anybody experienced thes problems and had them resolved as the picture quality is much better at my Dads house.

10. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Do you both have the Silver Samsung boxes ?. I noticed a considerable improvement from the black Pace one when I upgraded to 1 Meg Broadband. it does seem that, for some reason unknown to me, there appears to be better quality results in some parts of the Country. Perhaps this is due to the infrastructure of the system locally. Some depend on older cabling etc.

11. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes both boxes are new silver samsung ones.

12. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think that NTL is absolutely diabolical in almost every respect. If I wasn't in a NTL-only block of flats, I'd be off to Sky in a shot.

Anyway... what does the 'Guide' look like? That is coming straight from the box, so you can tell if the PQ issue is the box/scart lead or what is actually being broadcast. Flick between RGB and composite and see if you can see the pic difference. If there's no difference, you've probably not got a RGB scart or there's a problem with the box. If you can see the difference (RGB should be perfectly crisp), it's just down to the quality of the feed to your house, ie. not much you can do about it.

Make sure you're using a RGB scart input on your screen too, not all are. Eg. on my Hitachi scart 1 is composite and s-video only, scart 2 and 3 are RGB.

13. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    You could call NTL and see if they will send an Engineer round...I recall reading another member did that.

I did the same Jamie 110...bined it and got Sky (NTL piccie was pretty good on CRT too, but horrid when I home tested an LCD on it)......and it was just another reason really to get Sky+....the sky picture quality is far superior.

14. sherbert79

sherbert79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have NTL in my flat with a JVC LT37DS6 and when i change from RGB to composite there is a major difference in the picture RGB being really clear and crisp as opposed to composite which is blurry.Let me know how you get on.

scot :thumbsup:

15. heyzy

heyzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new Scart lead and cant really tell any difference in quality improvement.
    My conclusion is if you are thinking of buying an LCD to run on with NTL.Have a really close look at the quality of the picture with your CRT if it looks pretty much perfect you should be alright.If you see any pixelation problems aound faces etc think again.
    I have even spoke to an NTL engineer who said he had run a check to my box and the signal was fine.This still does not explain why the picture on my Dads NTL is superior.Guess it just varies depending on where you live.
    Roll on HD.