1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dr.Scanlan, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm thinking of investing in an LCD projector. I have a budget of 2,500 quid.

Anyone got any suggestions of a best buy in that price range?

Any info good or bad much appreciated :smashin:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The Sony HS10 get s rave reviews from its owners here, so that should be worth a look.

Gary.

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanx guys,

Not big on research..lol...to be honest I've been looking at HS10 and the Tosh MT7, among others, but I've always been a TV man, and hadnt a clue what to go for...always best to get it from someone who knows what they're on about, and actually has one up and going.

Checked out nexnix..looks the bizz!! Anything I should know, or be aware of before I take the plunge? Like cable config or anything?

Thanx again :smashin:

5. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing especially that I can think of if you want to go the nexnix route.

Russell, he of nexnix, is a genuinely helpful guy and will take view from your requirements and expectations and not his own sales figures. He opened outside normal hrs of business just so I could have a demo, er of plasmas ! Have no fear from purchasing there.

I have just checked the website and it seems the pj is selling at a marked discount with a 6ft screen chucked in (unless I read this wrong!). Damn !! Wonder if I can have a 'loyalty' screen !! :)

When I bought mine it came with all the connections for composite/SVid/Component, a spare airfilter, and a cinema lens. I didn't need to buy anything else. These all come as standard bundled with the machine and I see no reason this will have changed.

My advice to you would again be to read lots of the threads on this borard. There are some very knowledge people and probably most topics have been discussed and debated at one point. Other popular models are from Panasonic (AE100), Sanyo (Z1), and good offerings from NEC and toshiba - models no.s escape me !

With LCD projectors the two discerning issues are pixel drop out and the black levels. I believe the former is becoming less an issue as technology moves on and for a small fee, nexnix will do a complete pixel check on your behalf. I would recommend this, I did it myself as all 3 million of them are functioning fine.

The black levels are down to an individual's taste. Some see blacks as greys and are put off by this while others don't notice the less that deeeeepest daaarkest absence of colour ! Myself, I was wary of this and having read so much about this, when I demoed the HS10, and saw it, I thought 'What is everyone on about?' Black looked bloody black to me but then maybe I'm not as fussy !! Ofcourse all pj settings can be changed and light blocking filters added to adjust colours. Supplied cinema filter makes big difference.

My own experience was rather strange in that I spent months (and I mean months) deciding between a Panny and Pio plasma so I went down to nexnix to see the side by side demo they have of the popular selling machines. I thought I might have a look at what a home cinema projector was like as well never having seen one but read the threads out of interest. In isolation the plasmas looked good and quite mean. I turned round, saw the HS10 projecter firing this unbelievable 7-8ft image, said Jeeeezzzzuzz, and bought one on the spot. Never looked back since and is probably the most satisfactory piece of kit I have in my collection.

Best Regards.

6. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Additionally, what exactly will your viewing source be through your projector ? If using a conventional DVD player, or these new Home Cinema PC things, which I knowt about :blush: you won't have any problems at all. However as you said you are a 'tv' man, if you are going to be watching through sky and the like, you may find you need additional equipment such as a line doubler or a scalar due to the poor quality of the feeds.

Best someone who knows what they are talking about advise you on this, should this be your case.

Regards.

7. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info..most helpful ;)

When I said "tv man" i just meant i was into tv's...dont watch alot of it to be honest.
    Id be using it solely for DvD playback, and PC very occasionally...I have a Pioneer DV-717, but was thinking of changing to the TOTR Toshiba 900 or whatever it is...I have quite alot of synch trouble with the Pioneer, pal and ntsc.

Nexnix looks like a good option...I'm in Belfast so hope they deliver here !!

Actually, had a quick look on pricejapan site, and they have the HS10 for aroubd 1545 quid...any idea on their import laws, or if I could expect to pay some kind of duty if I ordered it from there?

Many Thanks.. :smashin:

8. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    From Price Japan you'll pay VAT but no import (since they mark the product as computer display IIRC).

The negative points are that they won't check the PJ before you buy it (so you might have a dud, or it might have stuck pixels etc). You'd then have to ship it back (at your expense) to them to get them to replace it. Also, any warranty issues and you have to return it to Japan.

Their price is very temping...

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I believe they'll do a dead pixel check for about £20 for you, so you won't have that worry.

Gary.

10. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Also have a look here for good reviews and info on all types of projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com

As an HS10 owner I can not recommend this projector highly enough, the hires widescreen image is superb once tweaked a little.

The other LCD projector I thought about was the Epson TW-100 it has roughly the same spec as the HS10 but a good bit more expensive.

Try and have a look at a few makes of projector before you buy if you can just to make sure you are happy with what you see.

Once you have seen the bigger picture you will be hooked.

Klippie.