1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD projectors: not for long use?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CptBill, Oct 28, 2005.

1. CptBill

CptBill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,
    Not sure if this has been discussed before. A retailer (and friend of mine) told be that i should avoid choosing any LCD projector because after a while i will be facing problems with the picture. I dont remember the technical details he gave me but in few words he told because of the nature of the lcd panels the colours after months get really meshed up or something.

I remember a long time ago a demonstration from Texas Intruments showing the superiority of DLP against LCD (after months of usage) but hey..i didnt expect something different from TI.

Anyone here that can give me more info? I think the guy is totally wrong..otherwise noone would buy any LCD projector.

PS: I own a panasonic 700 and after 150 hours/1+ years of usage i havent noticed any problems with the image quality.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I remember that but also took it with a pinch of salt as it was TI who carried out, or funded, the experiment.

This is the only thing i think that i have seen on it, i have had my LCD PJ for nearly two years and clocked over 1,000 hours up and have not suffered from those issues.

One member on here, Calibos, has clocked up pver 5,000 hours on his lcd pj and i dont remember him mentioning these problems either. So i would say it is nothing to worry about imo.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Total bo11ox, part myth, part ignorance, part propoganda. I'm not saying LCD is bullet proof and perfect, there are pro's and cons with all technologies. But these are spook stories usually put about by retailers with no LCD PJs on their books...PJ

4. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    "Hot Air" leaps to mind. I read an article shortly after the report was released and - if I remember correctly - the projectors were set up in an un-vented room with each projector venting it's hot air into the one next to it, causing heat to be an issue.

With the vast majority of projectors, regularly cleaning out the air filter should ensure years of trouble free service.

5. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Whilst the quality of the panels will worsen after 5000 or so hours, several optical components will fail first causing an image problem. Normally 20 - 30 quid for the parts to bring the unit back to life, but if you let the optical parts totally fail (colour filters been the main ones) they will start to destroy the LCD panels resulting in 300 - 700 quid for the parts.
    Understnad you are dealing with UV light and what damage this does to you are long exposures and you will understand what damage it does to the projecoter. The filters act like a sunscreen, as well as seperating the colours, and after a while it fades leaving you vulnerable.
    Work out your hours of usage and times that by how many years you are planning on owning the unit. You will probably have had enough after replacing 2-3 bulbs.

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    same with most things, if you take care if it then it will most likely last a very long time and probably perform as well even 10 years on.....if you dont look after it well, then there is a good chance it could suffer problems, usually overheating is the biggest issue for appliances that use high power processing chips to perform....

then of course you get ones that just wernt made quite so well as the rest of the batch and will die within a few years, but the same again applies to anything you buy that moves/heats up......