1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD projector & how to get the best from it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alaric, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi there,

I'm really more of a large CRT person, quite well versed with the Barco 800 series....however i've recent picked up a Barco 6300, which from what i gather is a 3 chip LCD machine.

My intentions are to use it side by side my BG801s for things where i don't really need the crt or its limitations...ie games, tv and computer based work as the lcd is far sharper with windows nativly, so should make a good monitor !

Anyway, alas this BG6300 didn't have its installation manual, or instructions...so tips and help are useful.

I've managed to hook up a PS2 on a video input and my PC via the 'computer' VGA input....i've even not got a bad picture, but the top right geomety on the pc is a touch out

Also any idea what you can use the Firewire input for or the SDI connection ???

Running the pc with a X-card-PDI combo.

Ta,
    Lee

2. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hiya,

Lots of views but no pointers at all !!!

Seems like i've solved the PC geometry issue by fiddling with resolution and refresh rates. I'm curently using 1024x768 as reading around this is the PJ's native resolution, though sites also mention its max resolution as 1280x1024, whatever that means ???

Suprisingly its not as bright as i'd expect, particularly if you haven't got full light control....i always though LCD's were so bright you could use them in the daytime without problems, however CRTs you could...apears actualy both work best in complete darkness...so much for the 2200 lumens and the 'Digital Light Cannon' monica.....so remind me again, whats so good about an LCD projector ???

cya,
    Lee

3. Seahorse

Seahorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The first thing that is good about an LCD projector is it is not the size of a small car.

Bright LCD machines tend to be for business use, death by PowerPoint etc.

1280x1024 is what I run both my PC monitors at, 19" & 20" respectively. No point using on a 17" monitor though. If the projector actually supports this resolution, you should get sharper images. Assuming the scaling is up to scratch.

Firewire would most likely be used for Digital Video camera input.

Pass on the SDI.

Oh, make sure you check out the HCPC (HTPC?) forum...

4. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi there,

The barco is not the smallest LCD by a long shot....like most of Barco's kit its *WAY* over engineered. I'd guess its 60x 30 x 30cm !!

It was certainly a business machine before i purchased it, but i've not noticed any screen burn by PowerPoint...its only got 3700ish hours which i don't see to be that large for a 4 year old machine. I guess the downside with this particular model is the bulbs are only good for 750 official hours - Though i have two spares and the one in it is only half used. The LCD chips are huge at 1.8" each and there are three of them, so i'd guess its suposed to be a heavy use machine.

I may have to try 1280x1024 'cos thats the max res, however i thought there was something to do with using the native size of the LCD panels ???

Had a surgestion in the HTPC forum of getting a SDI mod kit and applying to the PDI from the X-card !

Cya,
    Lee

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd ascertain the "native" resolution of the panels & just send the PJ that. Sending a higher resolution will just result in downscaling by the PJ anyway & it's unlikely it has a very high quality scaler (data origins).

Try a software DVD player (Power DVD "trials" available for download) with hardware acceleration on your graphics card (Radeon preferably).

Theatre Tek worth a shot too.

6. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little pointer Alaric - You won't suffer screen burn on LCD, DLP or LCOS. CRT, Plasma, etc do suffer screen burn.

Regarding the projector, manufacturers design their two models as follows:
    Business - High brightness, low to average contrast because the majority of signals inputted will be using bright colours and not much black (Thats the theory anyway).
    Home cinema - Low brightness, average to high contrast to handle all colours and most importantly, deal with the black levels.

The projector has 1.8" panels which I imagine would be at least 4 years old as most projectors now have 0.7" panels. The size of the panel does not reflect how the projectors are to be used.

The problem with your brightness could be that the LCD panels have almost reached the end of their life. Depending on the make of panel (Only 2 manufactures), if it has an Epson panel installed the life would be no more than 3,500 hours before problem appear, if it an Epson panel installed the life would be no more than 5,000-6,000 hours.
    The other problem you may have regarding the brightness is that the panels have already been replaced before, but the optics, UV filters, etc have come to the end of their life.
    I assume you have tried one of the other spare lamps and this has not increased the brightness.

Hoipe this infor is useful.

7. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi there,

I got the LCD because it doesn't suffer from screen burn so much, hence i save my CRT from static game graphics and nasty TV station Logos.

Specs for it state 200 ANSI contrast, with 350:1 full on/off...don't know how that really relates. It does do 2200 Ansi lumens brightness though - from specs.

I've not tried one of the two new lamps i have, they are very delicately boxed and still sealed (though i have opened one up briefly just to look at what one of the light bulbs look like !). The brightness i have is more than ample for my light controled room, i was just expecting to need to wear sunglasses !

I'm not sure its set-up to its full capability anyway as i don't have either manual.

As for age, they were first produced in OCT99...I know mine has a date, but can't recall when, but that makes only just 4 at the worst.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Barco-BarcoGraphics_6300_DLC.htm

cya,
    Lee