LCD projector and scaler

Alan Westy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to LCD projectors so, is there any advantage in using a scaler with them as I presume they have an in built scaler of sorts and are therefore already progressive scan. The projector I intend to use is a Panasonic AE500, and I was thinking of an Iscan or similar

I use a Lumagen DVI with my Sanyo Z3 and the improvement from direct component to scaler-assisted-HDMI is marked to say the least. If mine's anything to go by expect about a third to a half fold increase in sharpness and clarity. Though these things are quite difficult to judge or quantify for sure.

It's especially useful on TV feeds such as Sky which can be quite poor if it's one of the low-bitrate channels, whereas DVDs are pretty good already, though even they improve. But then it's what you'd expect, and hope for, seeing as the damn thing costs about as much as the projector itself does.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be without it now.

Regards

Mark

DVDO's Silicon Image Iscan's are really very good.
Not sure if Faroudja make their own external scalers, (im sure they licence their own chipsets to third parties) but ive never seen any.

Have you thought about using a PC?

I've got a AE500 and I'm feeding it via DVI from a home built PC and I find it to be great with the S-Video feed from Sky+ and outstanding for DVD playback.

They can be pretty cost effective and obviously they have a few other uses if you can manage a dual display (just so you don't have to power up the PJ to type a document listen to some MP3's).

Hi Alan

you are right, they do have in buit scaling and video processing, but the problem is that most of the time it isnt very good..You can be certain that you can improve an AE500, a PC gives the best price performance ratio, an external video processor gives the best absolute performance and ease of use.

In both cases well worth trying - your display is not working at its best without one.

David PluggedIn said:
an external video processor gives the best absolute performance and ease of use.

Ease of use, yes. Best absolute performance, open to debate :D.

:smoke:

I thought most (all?) PC software based DVD players gave absolutely shocking images, failing most of the progressive scan tests on hometheaterhifi...?

personally I'd up the quality of my projector before investing in something like an iScan.

Would an iScan at £750 be a worthier upgrade than the same amount spent on buying a better projector in the 1st place?

I've used a cheap line doubler (ProV) on my Panny AE100 for a few years and it's made a big difference on Sky programmes. But for £750 I'd have gone for the Z3 that's been on sale cheap and stuck with the ProV just for SKY programmes.

I'd imagine the Z3 will be markedly superior to an AE500, more so than an iScan powered AE500.

Fluffy-Bunny said:
I thought most (all?) PC software based DVD players gave absolutely shocking images, failing most of the progressive scan tests on hometheaterhifi...?

That sounds like you haven't seen an HTPC in action then.

Gary.

Chris Lamle said:
Would an iScan at £750 be a worthier upgrade than the same amount spent on buying a better projector in the 1st place?

They were my thoughts exactly. I think the Z4/AE900/TX200/TW600 would look much better than for example a Toshiba ET1 with an external scaler...PJ

Don't forget connectivity; I can put 8 sources through to my PJ on one cable. I also 'upgraded' 5 sources at a stroke - even VHS looks good. It always strikes me as curious that people who have really good PJ's get scalers when its those of us with the lower end kit that reap the biggest benefit.

It may also be noteworthy that the scaler is on its third PJ and still hasn't been shown up by the onboard on any of them. When I finally get a thin display it'll be hooked up to that as well and I'll be looking at a high res panel thats let down by its processing to get a bargain.

If you can bypass your PJ's own scaler then there really isn't much of an argument against getting a scaler - unless you have something against having a better image.

Thanks for all your comments, I realise that the AE500 is only a budget projector, but for what I want it for and the price I paid it will do. I was only wondering if a cheap secondhand Iscan would significantly improve it for not much outlay.

binbag said:
Don't forget connectivity; I can put 8 sources through to my PJ on one cable. I also 'upgraded' 5 sources at a stroke - even VHS looks good.

That's a good point. Which scaler are you using?
binbag said:
If you can bypass your PJ's own scaler then there really isn't much of an argument against getting a scaler....

...other than the cost! If it were sub £200 then I think most people wuld dabble with one...PJ

I'm using an I-scan HD. I tried a sub £200 scaler and it was deeply unimpressive. You've spent more on your kit than me so I guess it boils down to choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom