1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD problem image pictures?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dinoprada2003, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Has anyone got any pictures of LCD *problems* like screen door,
    VB, stuck pixel etc.etc.I want to know what im looking for when I demo replacment PJ :thumbsup:

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    To be fair.....

Screen Door is not a "problem", it's how the technology works.
    That's like saying one of your cars problems is that it uses petrol.

The others however quite definatly ARE faults.

Iffy pixels are easy to spot as the size of pixels on a projector are MASSIVE
    Just make sure you look at the whole screen as Black, White, Red, Green, Blue.

If there are no funny odd dots anywhere on the screen on any of these coloured backgrounds then you don't have any bad pixels.

Also (in the dark) look at the screen totally black, and see if you see any faint fuzzy blobs (circles) on the screen. ASk him to turn the focussing ring to it's maximum in both ways and see if the faint blobs become any clearer, if there are some, these are probably dust blobs. Not major serious as they should be movable from a puff of compressed air inside, but something that would be nice not to have fron the start anyway (Many many people have them) and to be honest I don't know if you can really avoid them with the way cheap projectors are made these days.

VB, I have not see, but from what i recall it's in large solid bands of colour, very faint vertical lines, not definate lines as such, just fractional differences in colous repeating every few inches across the screen.

Some on here may be able to advise you on a particular DVD film that shows this to good effect.

By the way, the screen door is really down to how many dots your projector has. The lower the number of dots combined with the closer you sit to the image combined with how BIG you are making the image will all have their effect on this.

Don't sit too close, don't project too big and it won't be a problem
    Sit 6 feet away from an 8 foot picture and you will notice it a lot.

3. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I know one thing that really highlights VB, well it did for me. Bring Finding Nemo with you. Play the film when you just have the ocean in the background and Marlon, yes yes the daddy goldfish against it. A good place is when he meets Dory.

He appeared very very blocky with very apparent veritcal bands measuring approx 1 cm per band. But that was on a NEC VT560, on my HS50 there wasnt anything visible.

4. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Been reading through the threads about projectors - some intresting stuff in there.

My own opinion on LCD & DLP and thier inherent problems is a bit complex so will just say for now -I easily see rainbow artifacting on DLP, it took maybe 100hrs of viewing for it to happen but as soon as you see it it's there for ever!! However the colours are dynamite compared to LCD.

Vertical Banding on LCD systems is caused by smoothscreen technology and its oiutrages that reviews in magazines don't mention it! However whats worse 'chicken wire/screendoor' or vertical lines?

Before purchasing my projector I was fortunate to see around 25 projectors playing the same movie and I instantly went to the screen that I enjoyed the most -what was the projector?,A pany 500 and although it's saturated with VB the picture quality is dynamite and background details like in LOTR are lost on other projectors.

Even high end machines have VB which shocked me - so in this case you don't get what you paid for and I even noticed it on a Hitachi D-ILA projector which shocked along with its price!!

Having bought an LPZ2 for the mother-in-law (ease of instalation) I can say that the Pany is definetly the nicer picture (render far more colours) but the Z2 has far less banding. I love picture quality over anything else and now feed the projector a wide720 (DVI) image which is just dynamite!! As for just watching movies on it - eh no, I watch everything on it averaging 40hrs a week.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Is VB a fault or a weakness of LCD? I always viewed it as the latter....PJ

6. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thank's People,

Im sending back my Epson tw10h for the reason that the image is so blocky and well, pixely!? I never noticed this on my old data DLP PJ even though I saw rainbows, I prefer them to a "pixelated looking image".Im hoping to upgrade to the Sanyo z2 and run at higher res via HCPC: in an effort to minimise this :confused::(

7. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    To be honest if you go in looking for all these things you're gonna find it hard to commit to one projector! Its always good to know what youre dealing with but as the guys said earlier some of these things are not faults, merely shortcomings in certain technologies. Buy the one that looks the best to you.

8. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not so sure about this as only panasonic projectors have smoothscreen technology, yet others like Sanyo Z2 have been said to be affected by Vertical Banding. I'm guessing that it's possible that Panasonic's smoothscreen technology may make Vertical Banding more apparent.

9. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Good point, after all im not throwing down £10'000 on a CRT so I cant really moan :) I just want know what the "blocky pixely" images correct name is? so I can see if the model I go for has more or less of this annoying LCD trait :D

10. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Blocky pixely" images can really only be cause by either lack of resolution or from compression artifacts (e.g. DivX). The Espon dosen't have a particualty high res LCD panel, but having said that, I'm projecting my TW10 onto an 82" diagonal screen, and whilst I can just about see the screen door if I look for it, the picture is certainly not pixelated. Everyone that's had a viewing so far has commented on what a good picture it is.

Are you sure you don't have a problem with your source?

11. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I dont think so mate, It's via a 5-7 metre VGA lead from HCPC to PJ. tried loads of diff dvd's, set native res to 852x480 via powerstrip which by the way the OSD of the PJ claims is 1024x480???!!! and dvd's are all blocky :( I use a 5ft screen and view about 7.5ft from the screen
    .It's most visable around the edges of figures and highly visable in background scenes.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Blocky and pixelly? That HCPC may well be the culprit. Why not try "downgrading" to a basic regular DVD player (perhaps, a borrowed one) connect component or (at worst) SVideo, and see what, if any, difference there is........

13. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I thought as much myself LV426 but to no avail :confused::(

14. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Zoolap,

I thought all the Epson chipsets employ smoothscreen technology - this stops the chicken wire effect.Which you can't see on the 500,Z2 and TW20.

I've viewed higher resolution machines like Sony's - who use hexagon pixels and the picture just looked like a honeycomb!

I could be wrong in my thinking but i'm sure thats what I picked up on through Japanese discussions about the VB effect.

Will make more enquires to try and clarify - sorry for any confussion if it turns out to be something else.