1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Prices and Recommendations....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gurj, Nov 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon ,

Just popped into Curry's at lunch time ( ok....less of the hissing ! ).

They have a Goodmans 15" LCD tv for sale at £299 model no GTV15LCD. It looks nice ( like a PC TFT ) with Nicam, Fastext and for connectivity 1 Scart, 1 S-VHS/Composite with Audio L/R and dig this a set of component inputs as well !

I think that this is new but does anybody have any exoerience of this model ?

Also thinking about buying the 17" Widescreen Grundig. Seems like people have had a favourable opinion about it. Has anybody had any bad experiences with it ?

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have one of these in the bedroom, great little set.....only minus points the tinny speakers and the auto channel selection when tuning, puts everything in the wrong order and can't be altered later.

Still, good value at £499 now and has a cracking picture imho!

3. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way around the ordering of channels ? I mean maybe on hindsight would there have been an alternative way of tuning the channels in to get them in the right order ?

Seriously thinking about buying one for my bedroom but will definately have to be wall mounted ( missus has had enough of me doing that to her so lcd can take her place ! ).

Any place recommended for a wall bracket ?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    The place that many on this forum have recommended for wall brackets is www.unicol.co.uk as their prices seem to be good and there is a large choice of options.

Mark.

5. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I haven't found a way to alter the channel order, but it doesn't really affect me too much as I have a second Sky feed to the bedroom. I only tend to use the analogue channels for teletext.

Mine isn't wall mounted, but it is possible with this set.

6. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a way of sorting the channel order out.....by following the manual !

Went out yesterday and bought the Grundig 17" Lcd from Dixons for £449.....mate of mine works there hence 10% discount.

Then onto RicherSounds and bought a Tosh 330e m/r with RCE disabled with a 3yr warranty for £89.99 and finally to Boots and bought £51 worth of xmas presents and picked up the Philips DTR 1500 freeview box for £50. So all in all a relative bargain for all !

Set them all up last night in my bedroom....

Couple of thoughts if anybody is interested in a similiar set up.

The Grundig lcd is a piece of cake to set up and autoscan works perfectly. PQ from analogue tv is excellent ( bearing in mind i feel that all A/v kit needs to be run-in for a period ).

The connections at the back are a bit weird.......I will explain my dilemma.

I have the Tosh 330e running through the component video connections into the LCD.......PQ ( after a bit of tinkering with picture settings ) is superb. Can' t really fault it to be honest. Used Finding Nemo, Spiderman and LOTR : FOTR as test discs as well as the THX optimzer test. All fine detail can be seen on the screen and subtle nuances in colour without apparent colour bleed.

The L/R audio from the Tosh into the LCD has to be run into the L/R audio sockets that belong to the Svideo socket for sound to come into the LCD.

My problem occurred when i set up the Philips digibox to go through the LCD......i have a scart to svideo lead to handle the picture but alas as the L/R audio sockets are being used by the tosh the only solution i can think of i popping into Maplins and buying some phono splitters which allow two inputs into a audio phono socket.

PQ from the digibox is again a revelation in comparison to analogue......all channels are alot more detailed in resolution and colours are even and coherent. Sound is also crystal clear.

What i also done in respect to the sound is that i have a Mission / NXT flat panel speaker set up ( only stereo with an active sub ) which i have connected via the mini jack audio out on the LCD into the sub / satellites and placed then behind my headboard !

The sound is again crystal clear and even across all sources.

So very happy with my set up and it doesn't overpower the room with it's size......will be wall mounting all the three pieces of kit at Xmas when i'll be decorating the bedroom !

Apologoes for the long post.

7. Baloo

Baloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Any pictures of the setup?

8. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    What is the vertical/horizontal viewing like with the grundig?