1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD PQ faq

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jimr, Dec 31, 2004.

1. jimr

jimr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys n gals

Forgive me for posting this but I'm sure there are a few more like me. While pondering my replacement TV I have spent many a long hour reviewing posts on this board, trudging round showrooms and staring at screens.
    Take for example what is generally accepted here as a 'good' screen ie Sharp LC26GA. Why do all the demo screens that I have seen give 'blockyness' with moving images? Is this a setup issue, I've played with the settings in the shop but to no avail, is this a function of Sky digital feed? can't say I've noticed it on CRT. This seems to be common problem with most LCDs that I've seen with the possible exception of the new Toshiba 30 and 27WL screens which seem to be let down by slightly inferior contrast range.

Todate the only set that vaguely interests me is the Sony 26HG2 (lots of contrast like Sharp) but unlike its American version is less a DVI connection. Please don't suggest Philips, they seem to spill backlight when viewed slightly off and the colours don't look right.

I look forward to your comments :lease:

Happy New Year to all

2. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK - I won't mention the fact that my Philips displays no blockiness on moving images.

I won't mention the other good stuff relating to Philips either, as you don't want to hear it....like sensationally good overall picture quality, etc etc

3. Supernatural

Supernatural

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What model Philips Tony?

Paul

4. jimr

jimr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh go on then Tony, I promise I'll check one out properly as soon as the shops open!

5. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    every DLP/Plasma/LCD screen i hjave seen in high street shops have crap pictures on the screen due to em not beeing conected and set properly.

only recently have comet suprised me when it began displaying the sagem dlp's with a hi def demop disc.

you would have thought sony/phillips/panasonic/sharp/pioneer etc would be sending reps around to stores who would then set up the screens properly

6. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Its a 37pf9986.

I chose it after a ridiculous amount of magazine trawling and shop visiting.

Watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" (from my other new tech toy, a Denon 3910) last night.

The pictures were consistently excellent - including the many action scenes. Towards the end there are a number of scenes in a superbly lit cave and the pictures are stunning. The Denon was outputting 576p direct DVI to DVI. Although player and screen are both capable of 720p and 1080i, subjectively I think that 576p is practically as good as 720p (and better than 1080i) whilst presenting a larger screen image.

Only one moment of MB - I am sure this was a flaw on the disk itself as there was little movement at the time. Interestingly the disk has a calibration section to it, which I used to set brightness, contrast, sharpness etc. It also covers audio settings - I did not bother with this, as it is the one negative aspect of the set - its audio performance.

This is why I have bought (but not yet received) a Denon 3805 A/V receiver. Speakers are next on my shopping list...

I reckon that the most important thing to consider when auditioning these sets is the quality of the input material. You should get the store to use the set manufacturer's demo DVDs (I now have the Philips one, but have not tried it out yet with the denon player), fed through the best input port. You will then see what these sets are capable of.

Unfortunately, most digital broadcast material suffers from far too much compression, which is quite noticeable at short viewing distances (which you typically use in-store). The better the display, the MORE noticeable are the compression artifacts - the set is just being more faithful to the original source.

There was a Sony 32 inch (I forget now which model) which I compared side by side with the 32pf9986. The performance on the same source material (this was in Selfridges) was very similar. However, when I saw each set displaying its respective demo DVD (the Sony puppies were rather cute) I chose the Philips (in 37 inch form it was cheaper too, even than the 32 inch Sony).

Don't judge any of these sets on basic broadcast material - it is way too variable.

HTH

Tony B