LCD Poor picture

M

MBaby

Those of you in the know:

Yesterday was annual bonus day at work so a bit of it is heading towards a new TV but I'm not very impressed with the picture quality I've seen on some of them.

The mother in law has just taken delivery of a Samsung 32" model last week which on paper looked a very good specification. Trouble is, the texture is all wrong somehow - people's faces look false like they're covered in wax or something. I've noticed in our local pub that one or two of the TVs on the wall have the same thing, though not as bad.

The TV I have is a decent Toshiba 28" widescreen CRT with surround sound but it's huge. I just want a new thin one. I'm looking at the Toshiba 37" 1080 model but don't want to blow the cash if the picture is going to be worse than I have now.

Has anyone else come across this picture problem and know how to solve it?. I've googled for LCD poor picture etc. and not found anything which might explain it which makes me think it might just be a setting or something.

??

andrewfee

Out of the box, most LCDs tend to be oversharpened, and have a lot of noise reduction going on, which is (mostly) what gives people this "waxy" look. As a starting point, I would try the following: (note: you may not have all the same options on your TV)

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 50/50
Colour Tone: Warm 1
Backlight: 5
Digital NR: Off

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: -1 or -2 (whichever you prefer)
Leave White Balance / My Colour Control alone
Edge Enhancement: Off
Colour Space: Auto

I would also put energy saving on Medium/High, whichever you need to stop the image looking dull in your current lighting conditions without being overly bright.

This should hopefully give you a much more natural image.

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
Firstly, out of the box settings on the majority of TV's are awful. They have been set up for Showroooms. They will usually be on a 'Dynamic' or 'Vivid' setting (or something worded similar). This is very high contrast, brightness etc, and usually full sharpness and has all of the picture enhancements on.

The first thing you need to do is set up the TV correctly. Gone are the days when you took the tv out of the box and it's ready. Also, you will proballys have to set up different inputs (if the TV has individual input memory - most new models do) for games consoles, dvd, sky/virgin etc.

Also, you need to take into account your distance from the TV. On SD (Standard Definition) sources, if you are close to the TV it will more than likely show some graininess (is that a word? :rotfl:) or 'blocky' artefacts. Therefore, you need to take into account the distance you will be viewing the TV from before deciding on what size to go for. This is different for HD sources as you can sit much closer before the picture starts to deteriorate.

I was unhappy with my 1st, 2nd and 3rd LCD's - but now I have the Sony D3000 and am more than happy. It is a match for my previous Panasonic CRT in all areas. Picture quality is fantastic.

You have to remember, you pay for quality :thumbsup:

Steve1951

Also assuming you have DVD. Maplin etc sell set up discs that are supposed to make changing settings easier.

NB I havent tried one myself though.

Regards

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom