1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD, Plasma or Projector for 1000 notes

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dan Gleebitz, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, I'm new here so be gentle... :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure which forum to post this thread in as it's not specific to any particular area but I decided on this one as I hope there will be someone in here who knows what they're talking about. ;)

Ok, so I'm looking for a new Plasma, Projector, or LCD and I have 1000 big ones to spend (£'s). I will be using it for DVD's, maybe some TV but mainly for gaming. I've just pre-ordered an Xbox 360 which has HD support via component as standard with support for 720p and 1080i. So basically I need something that will give me the best possible performance for my money.

I've been leaning towards projectors recently as I've had one before and so I have a little knowledge of what they are capable of and I like the flexibility of the size etc. I used to own a Panasonic AE200 about 2 years ago and I used it for DVD's and some gaming. It performed OK for gaming but my room had to be very dark to get good results and I'm not sure I want to sit in the dark for hours on end during a long gaming session. Now I know PJ's have come a way since then but are there any decent one's available within my price range that will be bright enough to perform well in room with at least some light? My other worry is that there maybe some instances when the image becomes blurred or flickers when playing some games. On my AE200 I use to notice this on driving games etc. Is this still a problem with the latest PJ's or can they handle this type of thing now?
    Of course the plus sides of having a PJ is that I can have any size picture I want with excellent quality. PJ's seem to be better value than plasma/LCD etc. I already have a screen from my AE200 so wont need to buy a new one. Lastly PJ's seem to be more versatile when it comes to connection types and HD support.

If I did go for a PJ then I was thinking maybe a Sanyo Z3, an Infocus X3 or another Panasonic probably the AE700. Any advice?

Now I've seen LCD and plasma displays and some are very impressive. My friend has a 42" Sony which cost him around £2500 and it is stunning. :eek: However I'm not prepared to pay this much but I have noticed there has been a huge drop in prices lately and there seems to be some fairly decent displays for around £1000 now. I noticed these on Ebuyer all have decent spec but I'm a bit sceptical if it's not a well know manufacturer. Anyone seen these before and can comment on performance: Plasma TV Haier
    Plasma TV Hyundai

These are a couple of major brand LCD don't know if they're any good though:
    LCD Philips
    LCD Samsung

So any ideas what I should do to get the most for my $$$? Would these plasma's and LCD compete with a projector to the same value? Or would I need to spend a lot more money to get a plasma or LCD of this quality?

Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You're not going to get very much in LCD's/Plasmas for £1000, but £1000 will buy you a very nice projector, like the Benq 7230. However, you will have to consider the running costs of a pj (£250 for a new lamp every 3000 hours or so).

3. Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm starting to think that maybe £1k isn't enough for a decent LCD or plasma.

Anyone regularly use their projector for gaming?

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sharp P50 or GA6 for £1000-1100, so yes you will get a decent LCD 32" for your money.
    A few hundred more buys you JVC DS6, Sharp GD7 or Pannasonic DX500.

5. emu

emu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you forgot the hitachi :)

awesome set with every connection u could ever need

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    No I didn't, I've not seen one to even hazard a guess as to how it might fair with a decent signal thrown at it.
    And I've never been a Hitachi fan. Same for Philips - they crossed me once before many moons ago over a product of theirs costing a 10th the price of their LCD TVs, and I've held to my vow of never putting money in their pockets ever again.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Hello Dan Gleebitz (keep em hanging low!!!)

Your budget says Projection - what does your room say? To see a projector at its best you require a Totally Dark or
    near Dark room; if that is achievable then your choice is down to what projector to purchase.

Best regards

Joe

8. Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've just been reading in the LCD forum and there's a discussion about how the latest HD compatable LCD's i.e. 32" will have to scale their resolution (1366 x 768) to match a signal coming from a 1280X768 device (Xbox 360). Someone posted some images showing the difference between the scaled and native resolutions coming from a PC and it seems there's quite a lot of ghosting on the scaled version.

Having seen this I'm thinking of waiting a bit longer to see what kind of developments there will be in the future. I know that all these issues don't matter with projectors because there are many types of resolution to choose from. I just can't see me having to set up my projector and screen then switch the lights out everytime I want to have a quick gaming session.

Why don't they just keep 32" LCD at a native 1280X768 for now? :rolleyes:

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    1280x720 or 1366x768 - both 16:9 aspect ratios. 1280x768 is a computer 15:9 aspect ratio.
    So, as you can see, keeping the computer res's vertical resolution fixed, all they need do is stretch the
    horizontal, which most people won't complain about - and that's if the screen caters for that resolution at all. Some top out at 1024x768, so black bars left and right. Equally, if the screen only does 1:1 mapping with PCs, then there'll still be bars L&R at 1280 res.
    Ultimately, these things are TVs first and foremost, with PC usage an added bonus. If you want 1280x768 filling the whole screen natively, then buy a computer monitor - that what it was designed to do.

Xbox will output 720p and 1080i, but there's mention that FF XI has been let off the hook with 480p - the current NTSC Xbox prog output.
    Personaly, I don't think they should've but, I suppose they need Square/Enix to help them garner Jap support for the machine. Still, developers knew the scoore before they signed on the dotted line!