1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD/Plasma Likelihood of dead/faulty pixel?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by reckless, Sep 17, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just as a matter of interest, I know about the dead pixel tolerances set by manufacturers but is there more likelihood in getting a dead pixel on a plasma, a lcd or the same likelihood for both.

I appreciate that LCD screens often have more resolution/pixels and so the odds would appear to indicate that they would be more likely to have a dead/faulty pixel.

Is it as simple as that or is one technology more likely to end up with a problem? (Have no idea if the two technologies share any similarities in manufacture).

Don't want to start another lcd vs plasma thread, it's just something I was thinking about.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've had 2 plasmas and, including PC monitors, about 7 LCD screens and I've only had a problem with 1 pxel on one of the plasmas and you could only see that with a completely white background and you knew where to look.

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have seen only a few dead pixels in my entire time in the industry, they are extremely rare. Most of those were on 'B' grade stock, but try searching for 'dead pixels' or something like that on this forum, there are a few threads discussing it.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Do you mean "dead" pixels as in not working at all, or does that include "stuck" pixels?

The question initially arose because it occured to me that I've seen hundreds of lcd screens, at work, at friends and and at home and only ever saw one faulty pixel that was stuck on white for months. As it wasn't my screen I didn't pay much attention but I ended up having to work with it for a few weeks and it was driving me beserk (yep, I am that sad to let something like that get to me). I remembered reading somewhere that pixels can be unstuck sometimes by rubbing the screen gently. I thought, well, it's not my screen so what harm can it do? tried it and it worked and has been fine ever since.

However, I've only seen two plasmas running in a home environment (as opposed to retail establishments) and one of those had a pixel stuck on red. I just wondered if the sheer volume of lcd screens being manufactured meant that they'd improved the success rate with lcd screens more than they had with plasma.

Had a look on the search but the threads were primarily concerned with the amount of pixels faulty before replacement.

Cheers anyway for the input!