Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LCD/Plasma help - Sharp or Panny?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Matt F, Nov 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys – I’ve built up some pretty good knowledge on the sound element of home cinema over the years but when it comes to display devices (LCD/plasma etc) I’m stumped. I’ve been reading up on it but the old brains hurting so I could use some help.

I’ve been looking at the Sharp 37” LCD (GA3 or GA4) or the old favourite Panny PW6 plasma. I will probably change my ancient DVD player and that’s where the confusion starts as I’ve seem some reasonably priced models with DVI out (Denon/Samsung) etc.

Now, I understand such players have 720p/1080I scaling (whatever that means) but I also understand that if you use these scaling setting on PAL DVDs you introduce judder – is this always the case or does it depend upon the DVD player?

Also, apparently there’s no point using the 1080 setting with the PW6 as it doesn’t have enough pixels to take advantage of the extra lines – presumably though, the Sharp with its greater resolution (1366 x 768) will look great on the 1080 setting?

I just don’t know whether the DVI input is worth bothering with at all – perhaps it would be better to stick with component in (with progressive scan).

Finally, one of the best screens I saw picture wise out there was the Hitachi 42PD4200 (I guess the 42PW5 series would also be really good) but I read that the way their ALIS screens work means that they can do progressive scan properly – the picture looks great but switching prog scan on or off makes little or no difference.

So, I could go for the Sharp which comes with everything and then add a DVD player with a DVI out.

Or, I could go for the PW6, work out what input boards I would need – still not sure whether component or DVI would be best (and I’d need the SCART input board too for freeview). On top of this I’d need to buy the table top stand (it’s living in the corner until we move to a new house in 12-18 months time) and sort out some speakers – it sounds as though a little crappy pair will do for now (again, new surround system planned for new house).

So, can you fellas please help.

Many thanks,

Matt.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I waited until the PW7 came along then had a look and was very disappointed with the picture. there was a 37" Sharp along side and I was sold. Ended up with the GA4E and ditched the speakers.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem and I have decided to go for a GA3 and get the Denon 1910 (Review in WHF says the DVI out picture is stunning although SCART isn't that impressive...don't care about SCART!) in the new year. As far as I understand, prog scan can still be used through DVI not just Component.

The Sharp can show 720p HD signals since it has 768 horizontal lines, but the 1080i would be a little wasted as it would overscan. Still, the picture would be better than SD.

What I will be waiting for is a cheaper AV amp with DVI switching after that. Cheapest one is £700 I think.

4. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    i dont know how much the sharp costs,but you should also consider the loewe spheros. its the same panel but many would agree its electronics and inputs are superior!
    the product is also quite well discounted in certain stores up and down the country