1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD/Plasma + Games = ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sjallen, Sep 23, 2003.

1. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm less a Home Cinema enthusiast and more a Home Gaming enthusiast. I currently have a 14" Sony Wega (great little TV). I have managed to save quite a bit of money though, and am really keen on getting a sexy tv. I am a student though, and as such space is at a premium.

What I'd like to know is this - what would you guys recommend to play games on? Is screen burn really a problem on plasma? Is blur really a problem on LCD?

The Phillips 30" LCD is appealing, as are the Sharp/Samsung offerings.

A 32" Plasma would be ok, 37" is probably overkill given the size of room the TV would be in.

Apologies if this has come up before, a few searches haven't really come up with much results!!

Thanks for any advice,

Steev

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Console or PC? There are some great new LCD's if it's PC, but they're maybe not so easy with consoles, you need a video friendly one, the Iiyama 32 would fit the bill but maybe not the budget! Unless you play the same game all day or leave the menu up and go to the pub, screen burn is not that likely with plasma, so a 32" bargain would be a reasonable choice. Can't think of a 32 you can drive at native res though, you need an LCD to do that in smaller sizes.

3. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be using a PS2/GC/Xbox setup, and being a cretin I'd use the PS2 for DVD's :)

It would be a real bonus if I could stick my PC in to play Half Life 2, though it's not essential.

I use a 17" Samsung TFT on my PC and I don't notice blurring, though I have no idea if this is more apparent on bigger sets. I'm really after a nice big slim screen with a good picture and good connectivity. The Philips 30" LCD has 4 SCARTS and that's why I'm quite tempted by it!

Steev

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you're up for that kind of money, see if you can see the Iiyama, it'll take RGB and sync on composite, ie scart, with the right lead made up, and DVI, + s-video. Presumably you have some form of sound already?

5. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got some relatively decent speakers around and am willing to part with some cash for a nice 5.1/similar setup. I've saved a fair bit of money due to not drinking all that much at uni, so if the right setup shows its face to me cash shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling that LCD/Plasma will hold its value relatively well and also last me longer than a CRT too.

It'd just be nice to play in more than 14 inches of screen :)

[edit]I can't seem to find any mention of an Iiyama bigger than 22inches on the interweb - any pointers?[edit]

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Avoid LCD like the plague for playing games. Its just not upto it yet. I looked into this in great detail and Plasma is your only real option.

Neil.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can no longer agree, neil. You need to see the newest panels.

8. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Which panels? I'd love to replace my Eizo CRT but I've found nothing near as good.

Let me know and I'll go view quake3arena cd in hand.

Neil.

9. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems I've opened a large can of worms. It also seems there's a lot more to buying a plasma than meets the eye... just noticed a post on lip syncing and all sorts. It's a shame there aren't any guides to buying a plasma/LCD TV!!

Anyway, I'm going to browse and read a bit more. I've just noticed that Hitachi do a rather cheap 32" Plasma. Still like the look of the phillips though, the 4 SCARTS would be dead useful...

Just out of interest, is £3000 a worthy budget for buying a nice setup (<37")? Or should I stick to my Sony 14" :)

10. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For games, especially the likes of Half-Life 2 with all it's dx9 beauty, you can't go wrong with a monitor made for a pc. From what I can tell you're looking for something 30" or bigger, but how about 23" or 24" such as the 23" Apple Cinema HD (LCD) or the 24" Sony GDM-FW900 (CRT)? Not sure what type of connecter the Apple uses though.

I use the Sony one, and although being anything but light and slim (very heavy!) it's picture is excellent with very high resolutions and frequencies. Connections are rgb bnc's and normal d-sub, games look awesome and with computer work you're never short of screen space! Fixing the convergence every now and then is necessity though, you won't get that with plasma or lcd. At the moment I'm looking into how I can connect other stuff to it, probably using converters..

11. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, my post was badly worded - I'm after a TV, and if it had connectors to allow a PC to be plugged in I could wack my computer in for certain games. My PC isn't quite good enough to run HL2 in Dx9 mode so the loss of detail outputting to TV wouldn't worry me :)

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    3000 will get you the best gaming TV money can buy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil

13. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more pictures of these setups I see the more I *need* one of my own. Looks like I need to find a place that will let me view these things in decent conditions, Comet doesn't seem to do them justice...

Might see if I can get a chance to fiddle with a few LCD's if I get the chance, I could spend the extra cash on speakers or something :)