1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD/Plasma for bright room

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by barnclos, Sep 28, 2004.

1. barnclos

barnclos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've just moved into a house with a room which seems ideally suited for TV watching - solid walls for hanging an LCD/plasma and even an underfloor trunking for passing the rear speaker cables. The problem is that it is also south facing with huge windows and therefore gets lots of sunlight.

My problem is that I haven't seen an LCD/Plasma working in a brightly lit room, and I don't have the opportunity to test-drive anything - I rely on mail-order as I live in a remote-ish part of Switzerland where the latest technology seems to arrive 6-12 months later than the rest of Europe.

My question is: how good are the latest 32/37" LCD/plasma in bright rooms?

Tschüss (as they say here in Switzerland)

p.s. excuse the duh-basic nature of the question

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Normally I'd advocate you viewing both and making your own choice as the two technologies produce a subjectively different "look" and you may prefer one over the other.

However, the following may sway your decision:

1: The major "failing" (if I may use too strong a term) of LCD is the greyness of black. This is typically completely undetectable with high levels of ambient light.

2: LCD screens typically have a matt or semi-matt front surface (some have a glass cover - avoid these) whereas Plasma typically is glass and therefore reflective. The matt of LCD will tend to reduce reflection of background lighting.

3: Plasmas (varying hugely with manufacturer) tend to age when driven very brightly (as would be the case in your environment) and aquire burnt-in after-images of static objects (like logos). LCDs do not burn at all.

For your particular case, then I'd advocate LCD as the preferred choice. You will find a good LCD produces very good results in high levels of ambient light.