1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD PJ- bulbs; on/off or variable brightness?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nathan_silly, Jul 6, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if the bulbs in LCD projectors are dimmable? I mean if the overall image is too bright-say using a high output, £2000 LCD PJ in small room- is it possible to reduce the intensity of the light?

I would also think this would decrease the likelihood of heat soak and increase bulb life, less heat & less noise

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you can adjust brightness and contrast, atleast on my Panny, and I belive it's possible on most PJs.
    Many HC PJ's has economy or low modes to reduse light ouput and increase black level.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You could also achieve this through the use of a filter (CC30R, CC40R, etc) but whilst this will increase contrast whilst reducing brightness it does not alter the intensity of the bulb so no power or heat gains will be had.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Projectors which have a "Cinema Black" or "Economy mode" feature will allow the bulb to be dimmed. If lamp life and heat output are important issues then you should look at projectors with these features (Sony, Panasonic etc) or ones with cooler running endurance lamps like some of the Philips models

Contrast and Brightness have no effect on lamp brightness (magking), these adjustments simply alter the way the LCD panel handles the light and don't make the lamp less bright.