LCD picture quality

dezmaas

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung LE32S71 the other day and the picture was abysmal. I tried all sorts of connectors and nothing helped. Very blocky images and white lines down the screen every 4 inches, even via Sky Digital. (Picture on my old CRT was perfect)

I am returning the TV as the store says it must be faulty. Anyway, that is for another thread.

The question I have here is that when I go into all the stores, the quality of picture on the LCD's is very poor compared with CRT's and the plasmas. I assumed that this was due to the signal being split between many TVs. Most of the assistants in the stores tell me that the picture quality should be even better than a CRT when I get home. A few have said that there can be problems with LCD's and the only way to get a good picture is with HD.

I read reviews of LCDs and most of them say that the picture is crystal clear etc etc.

I would like to know from experts (you guys, not the money-grabbers in the stores) should an LCD tv produce a crystal clear picture as good as a CRT? I don't need it to be better, just as good as. I don't want blocky and blurred images, the red dot on SKY actually becomes a square!! I want a clear picture.

I am not going to spend hundreds and hundreds on a TV with a picture 100 times worse than my 14" portable CRT.

I am taking my LCD back to the store on Thursday for a replacement. Should I ask for a refund or will there be an LCD which I can take home and enjoy?

Thanks!! :)

I hear the Philips LCD's have great SD IQ.
And I own the latest Sharp set and I can tell you the SD image is the best I've seen on an LCD.

Far crisper and cleaner then any other I've used.
Even up close and personal.

Check my thread on it with pics on the front page.

Will it produce as good an image as CRT?
I doubt it. From what I hear CRT's are still superior, but at the cost of size.

should an LCD tv produce a crystal clear picture as good as a CRT?

yeah, they should, but unfortunately they dont. but dont be put off, have a good read about on the threads here. theres some great info on which screens perform best on SD.

many screens out there have awful performance on SD, but its getting better and i'd say the new panasonic, phillips and toshiba offerings would be the best bet.

my s series sony isn't great. im going the toshiba route soon for the same reason.

I've seen a few posts lately saying that Samsung are ace with HD, but poor with SD.

i aint an expert but i know a fair bit, yesterday in currys i realised something.

the advise the people in shops give wont always be correct. i was looking at a 26" r74 that was blatantly running a HD demo disc ( teleewest) so asked - "is this running HD source" to which i was told nah HD will look even better than this. i think some will say anything to make a sale.

anyways iwas looking to buy a r74 but when a saw the sharp 26 sd1e alongside the others on the same source it blewthem away. thank god i havnt had any of the probs the original poster described.

The photos of the Sharp look superb, especially compared with my disaster. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range. :rolleyes:

I hear the Philips LCD's have great SD IQ.
And I own the latest Sharp set and I can tell you the SD image is the best I've seen on an LCD.

Far crisper and cleaner then any other I've used.
Even up close and personal.

Check my thread on it with pics on the front page.

Will it produce as good an image as CRT?
I doubt it. From what I hear CRT's are still superior, but at the cost of size.

I would like to know from experts (you guys, not the money-grabbers in the stores) should an LCD tv produce a crystal clear picture as good as a CRT? I don't need it to be better, just as good as. I don't want blocky and blurred images, the red dot on SKY actually becomes a square!! I want a clear picture.

I am not going to spend hundreds and hundreds on a TV with a picture 100 times worse than my 14" portable CRT.

I am taking my LCD back to the store on Thursday for a replacement. Should I ask for a refund or will there be an LCD which I can take home and enjoy?

I have recently bought an LCD TV and am still getting used to it, for sure you can get a superb picture quality out of them, but only as good as the source. For example if you put a digital TV box through it via scart the picture will be sharp but at the same time show all the bad artefacts of the signal quality, so as far as I am concerned it will look worse than a crt, but this is just my opinion. As far as DVD is concerned I have a Sony DVD player with upscaling that can produce fantastic quality images, also once HD takes off the picture quality will without doubt be superb! The only other issue I have is with Motion Blurring/Ghosting, but again this is something some people notice and some people don't. Dunno if that helps or not.

I've seen a few posts lately saying that Samsung are ace with HD, but poor with SD.

Had mine for about 18 months now and have no problem with the SD pic quality. No artefacts/blocking, smearing, etc etc. HD superb when used...
We use it as the everyday TV and all enjoy the results.:)

I bought a Samsung LE32S71 the other day and the picture was abysmal. I tried all sorts of connectors and nothing helped. Very blocky images and white lines down the screen every 4 inches, even via Sky Digital. (Picture on my old CRT was perfect)

I am returning the TV as the store says it must be faulty. Anyway, that is for another thread.

The question I have here is that when I go into all the stores, the quality of picture on the LCD's is very poor compared with CRT's and the plasmas. I assumed that this was due to the signal being split between many TVs. Most of the assistants in the stores tell me that the picture quality should be even better than a CRT when I get home. A few have said that there can be problems with LCD's and the only way to get a good picture is with HD.

I read reviews of LCDs and most of them say that the picture is crystal clear etc etc.

Which stores? I haven't seen a CRT in Currys/Dixons for months!

It was in Dutch stores. I've been living in Holland the last few years.

Robbing bassas won't take it back. They tested it and the picture was just as mince as all the other TV's in the store. They then say that is what you get with LCD's and blamed my Sky Digital for producing a crap picture. That's garbage, the picture on my CRT is excellent via Sky.

This idiot that I spoke with was the one who I bought it from and he told me at the time that the picture would be just as good as a CRT when I took it home. Of course he now denies ever saying that and got all angry and upset when I accused him of being a lying bassa.

The day after I bought the damn thing I asked another assistant at the store if LCD quality should have been as good as CRT. He said it should be even BETTER. Of course they all claim that they would never say that to a customer.

They are now sending an engineer to look at the tv in my home. Surely to Christ when he looks at the crud LCD picture next to my CRT picture, he'll see that there is a problem.

As you can imaging, I will never buy anything else from that store as they obviously mislead their customers to get a sale then don't want to help you afterwards.

I am going to call a consumer advice line in the morning to see if I have any comeback on this. I am not satisfied with the product, faulty or not and I don't want the damn thing!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good for you - if you're not satisfied, they've lied to you, and you're buying as a non-expert and making your decision based on their advice, then you've every right to return it as not as described and more importantly, not fit for purpose. When you tell a store that you want it for some particular purpose and they say that will be fine (for example, the purpose of having a picture just as good as the one on your CRT) they are bound by that.
They have no leg to stand on.

I'm no expert on the law, but had a similar problem with my HDLCD TV & needed to return it.

When you say purchased it 'a few days' ago then you have the right to reject it, and recieve a refund. Most of the 'big' retailers give a nominal 14 days.

If the reason is one of image quality, then a court (not that I suguest that it may or will progress to that stage) would probably concur that a TV of such cost and design ought to produce better image quality than that of a 14 inch portable CRT TV, so to reject it for that reason would be wholy acceptable.

see http://www.retra.co.uk/consumer_info.asp?p=12 for some advice. It helped me.

Good luck.

also see the paragraph concerning REFUNDS here

http://www.uknetguide.co.uk/Shopping/Article/Your_Consumer_Rights.html

I called the consumer line this morning and the law here in the Netherlands is different from back home. If it's broken, then I can get it exchanged, if not then tough luck, and the retailer says it isn't broken.

Hopefully I can get the engineer to somehow get a good picture or maybe he will say that it's crap and needs replaced but I won't hold my breath. I'm sure he will be on the side of the retailer.

If all else fails, I will contact the retailer head officer and make a very long winded and loud complaint about their sales staff misleading their customers to get a sale then lying about it afterwards, giving the sales assistants name to boot. Hopefully If I complain long enough and threaten to badmouth them to the entire planet, then something will happen. :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom