LCD picture quality FAR better than plasma?

sloopjohnb

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been in Comet Torquay and Exeter recently in preparation for buying a plasma with my new interest free (FOR A YEAR!?) Halifax card......... :D

Blow me- the LCD picture HD or SD side by side with plasma was FAR better- sharper, better defined...stunning in fact.. :confused:

Was not here to compare..just wanted to decide which plasma (Hitachi42pd7200 or Pioneer or Pannypv500)..

Any thoughts?? or better places to see a decent set up in Devon?

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

In my opinion, LCDs are better. The only thing they intrinsically don't do well (and it is getting better with every new model) is black, which has a grey tendency. This is invisible when watched in some ambient light, but becomes somewhat intrusive when watched in darkness. Otherwise, they have all of the advantages (no geometry or convergence or VR instability errors etc) of Plasma, but typically with (often, much) higher native resolution, absolutely no refresh rate flicker, and no propensity to burn.

Also they typically consume only about 1/3 of the power, resulting in less heat out of the unit.
This means less blackening of wall and ceiling behind/above the TV.

(a plasma TV on a white wall has the tendency to form a dark pattern on the wall because convection circulates dust particles along the wall all the time)

I think it's purely a matter of personal preferences, as the displays are quite different in character. As has been well said here before (maybe even by LV!), plasmas are slightly softer and filmic, LCDs are sharper and video-like.

Bernard Barnett said:
I think it's purely a matter of personal preferences, as the displays are quite different in character. As has been well said here before (maybe even by LV!), plasmas are slightly softer and filmic, LCDs are sharper and video-like.

My dvd picture, especially on the lighter bits, blows plasma away, the higher resolution is all that...and no reflections on top of that, hd ready as well.

Were they 42 LCD's because I highly doubt it! Bear in mind it'll always look sharper at a smaller size, just compare the Samsung 32 LCD with their new 40 LCD. In daylight the 32 looks sublime but the 40 doesn't compare to their 42 plasma and they aren't even in the same league as Panasonic and Pioneer. LCD's have a tendency to be sharper and look better in lit conditions, a good plasma can't be beat at big sizes in dark home theatre environments imo.

was wondering what the life span is of a Plasma...is it not just 10yrs?

What about LCD's?

Plasmas are nowadays rated at 60 000 hours.

Plasmas are said by many to look better than lcds at home and not shop. Shops usually have bright lights that favor lcds.

I dont personally have lcd or plasma myself yet..:) This is just what i have read.. makes hard to compare at shop?..

I find after a year of LCD I cannot watch Plasma without seeing all those lines that cross the screen

rossyl said:
was wondering what the life span is of a Plasma...is it not just 10yrs?

What about LCD's?
You make 10 years sound like a bad thing. How long do you normally keep your main TV set for? If I've had mine 5 years, there's usually something bigger and better performing to replace it with.

At a size of 37'' and above, i always favoured plasma. I recently went for a 32'' TV however and chose LCD. At that size it just has the edge over plasma for me.

Typical lifespan for both LCD and PLASMA is usually quoted at 60,000 hours.
8 hours use a day would equate to a life span of approximately 20 years.
Although, PLASMA, like a conventional CRT TV will reduce in contrast & brightness over time so this will obviously have an impact on longevity.

I am still wondering should i get 37" plasma or 32" LCD :) they are pretty equal at price currently. Expect ofcourse better panasonic 37" that cost way more than basic new sony V-series,panasonic,jvc,hitachi 32" LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom