LCD picture problem

wafc

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a strip about an inch wide on my lcd which appears to be a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen, however I'm not sure if it is a problem at all because I have now seen it on 2 lcd's which I've had and its in the exact same place.

Its not easy to spot and I only usually see it on football/cricket pitches etc where the picture is the same colour throughout. Basically if you look at the screen from an angle, say sat to the left of it, I seem to notice a vertical strip from top to bottom and its in about the position of the Sky Sports logo on the right of the screen, this strip just appears to be a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen.

I have noticed this on the Samsung LE26R41BDX which I had and now also on my new Panasonic TX-26LXD52.

I cant even see this strip when looking at the screen head on and I can just about see it on football pitches etc when I look at it from an angle.

Has anyone else seen a simlar thing or knows what this is? I'm quite sure its not a fault with the screen because as I say, I've seen it with two different lcd's and its in exactly the same position. I dont think its just the Sky feed either as I can also notice it on an RF feed for normal tv.

Any info will be greatfully received.

Thanks. :D

No it's not the lcd.

You said:

I have now seen it on 2 lcd's which I've had and its in the exact same place.

Some other element of your kit, then. Common to all 3 of the lcds

I dont see what other element of my kit it could be though, as I say I can see it on sky which is through RGB scart and also on other inputs such as the tv feed through RF.

I'm at a loss to be honest. :confused:

So has anybody else noticed this on their lcd's or have any idea what it could be? :lease:

ok, You need to connect an imput that you have control over

Get hold of a PC or laptop and feed it different colours by changing the Desktop or by moving an open blank document window around the screen
You should be able to work out the problem then, and if not You know its
not the panel but an Input/Driver issue

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this new Panasonic does not have a pc input so I dont think I would be able to test it in that way.

I just find it strange that I could see exactly the same thing on my Samsung lcd as well as this Panasonic one, which is why it makes me think that it isn't a fault with the screen. Its easier to spot when the picture is moving and can only be seen when I am say watching it from an 8 o'clock position and even then its not an easy thing to spot as its just a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen.

wafc said:
I have noticed a strip about an inch wide on my lcd which appears to be a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen, however I'm not sure if it is a problem at all because I have now seen it on 2 lcd's which I've had and its in the exact same place.

Its not easy to spot and I only usually see it on football/cricket pitches etc where the picture is the same colour throughout. Basically if you look at the screen from an angle, say sat to the left of it, I seem to notice a vertical strip from top to bottom and its in about the position of the Sky Sports logo on the right of the screen, this strip just appears to be a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen.

Is it near the very edge of the screen? Could be backlight seepage?

No its about 3/4 the way over to the right, sort of in the same position as where you would see the Sky Sports logo etc. You cant even see it when looking head on, only from an angle to the left. Its just the fact that I've seen it on 2 different LCD's now that baffles me.

wafc said:
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this new Panasonic does not have a pc input so I dont think I would be able to test it in that way.

I just find it strange that I could see exactly the same thing on my Samsung lcd as well as this Panasonic one, which is why it makes me think that it isn't a fault with the screen. Its easier to spot when the picture is moving and can only be seen when I am say watching it from an 8 o'clock position and even then its not an easy thing to spot as its just a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen.

What !!!
Stick a Composite or S-Vhs from the PC up IT
It must have One of them

FYI none of the LCD tv's are perfect in the way the old 4000th generation CRT Tv's were ! I think we are on about the Third generation and all the panels I have looked at have some sort of backlight / Diffuser unevenness
None of which You will ever notice before You Buy them ;)

I had the same problem with my hitachi 32ld7200. Went to repair a week ago and i'm still waiting for it to come back.
Do u know if by any chance, it could be caused by unneveness in your electricity flow ?

Ah so you had the same problem too!

So do you think it is a fault with the screen? What I find so strange is that I have now seen it on 2 different lcd's and it is the same problem in exactly the same place?!

How would I check if it was caused by uneveness in the electricity flow? And if that was the problem, how can it be rectified?

Thanks.

I'm not sure it could be due to unneveness in electricity flow ... I live in a vey recent apartment and have no other problem. It's just that i was so dubious it could be a fault into my brand new one-month-old lcd screen that i tried to look for another explanation.

A far as i'm concerned, it's a fault from the panel, even though your problem doesn't sound as bas as mine was. Coz on my lcd, i had several "stripes" (colourless, just different shades than the rest of the screen, visible during horizontal movements especially on light backgrounds). A technician came over, watched the phenomenon and agreed that it was not normal, hence the screen later being shipped back to the manufacturer (and i'm still waiting to get it back).

I thought about 2 possibilities : either the backlight was uneven (VERY uneven !!!) and therefore faulty; or there was a problem with some of the liquid crystals, not properly positioned hence the difference of shades. Or something else and whatever it is, i hope my problem will be solved.

How long have you had your screen ?

Yes it does sound like yours was much worse than mine as I can only see one strip which is a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the screen and it can only be seen when viewing from an angle.

I've only had this latest LCD since Saturday. I may give the shop a ring tonight to tell them that I also had the same problem on my Samsung which I'd bought from elsewhere and see if they have any ideas about it. I'd rather not have to replace this one if I can help it.

I just cant imagine 2 different lcd's having exactly the same problem thats all but I really cannot think what could be causing it. :confused:

Take my advice : if you've just bought your screen, take it back to the store and have it changed, no matter how painstaking this is. The mere flaw will inevitably make you squint for it everytime you turn you TV on (at least, that's how I was and I bet i'm not the only one !), so you'd better change and start anew. And at least, with your new screen, you'll be able to instantly upon unpacking it, see if you see another stripe on it ...

I have the same TV as you, Wafc, and I can't say I've seen the problem you're describing even when looking at the TV from an acute angle. I'm sure I'd have noticed if my TV had the same issue unless it's barely perceptible. And since I haven't seen it, I'm loathe to actually look for it incase I notice it and then it starts bugging me!!!

Incidentally what is the make of your Sky box? I ask because there is a problem with some Pace ones as people on here have reported faint vertical stripes visible when using it. Could that be your problem?

Cheers for the replies.

You have the Samsung dont you Doctor? I used to have that set but had 2 faulty ones (1 due to this strip!) so I replaced them and got the new Panasonic which I'm very happy with apart from this lighter strip. To be honest this strip is not easy to spot, it doesn't jump out at you by any means but I do see it at times when viewing from an angle. I only looked for it because I had previously seen it on my Samsung.

I had also read about the Sky box problem but I also see this strip when just viewing from an RF feed. My Sky box is Grundig and like you say I think the problem was on a Pace box.

I will definitely ring the shop tonight but I just keep going back to the point that this has now been apparant on both a Samsung and a Panasonic LCD and the strip is in exactly the same place, I find that very strange that I could have the exact same fault on 2 tv's.

I sometimes think I look for errors too much! :confused:

Sorry Wafc I misread what you wrote and I thought you said you have the same Samsung TV as me, which as you correctly stated is the LE-26R41BD.

Anyway I'd agree with what others have written that it's not the TV that's at fault but something else you have is causing interference or whatever.

Can you not try a console game with RGB SCART and see if the problem occurs with them? If you have an Xbox you could turn it on with a disc to access the Dashboard which has plenty of even green tones.

WAFC what was the outcome of your problem with the vertical strip. I too have a Panasonic (32LXD500) and have a faint vertical strip that shows up usually on a light background.

Did you get your problem resolved?

I have a fairly similar thing with my new WLT58, I've posted about it in the Tosh WLT58 thread. I think it's common to many LCD's - my monitor does it in the office.

Graham-do you have an idea as to the cause of this? In your case is it a solid line/strip or a series of lines with movement which I believe are caused by interference? Thanks

HI

Well I think it's a fairly common LCD trait really. You can't see it unless the room is dim and there's a dark image on the screen. Unless I'm sat just slightly to the left, the left 15% or so of the screen is fractionally lighter in the black areas. Watched the miniseries of Battlestar last night and in the space battles there's a bit more grey in the blacks on the left side than the right. As I say, it's much more noticeable if you're sat to the right of the set than the left. But even sitting dead on to the centre, it can be seen if you look for it. TBH it's not a solid line, and there's no movement, more a vague area from top to bottom left. If I sit to the far left of the screen, then it's lighter on the right side of the image.

I had a rear projection CRT set years ago and it did the same thing, although that was far more noticeable. I guess it's just a fractionally uneven distribution of light on the screen, but still exists when the backlight is turned off.

Searching through the forums, the Philips sets have also been criticised for uneven brightness, searching on the net shows that this is seen as a common issue too.

Thanks for that. Seems to indicate that rather than a fault (which I was becoming concerned about) it is an endemic problem with LCD screens. On mine it appears as a solid line about 1 and 1/2 inches wide running from top to bottom and I assumed it was to do with the backlight.
Overall I'm really pleased with it and guess that's one of the issues with relatively new technology

P.S. What do you think of Battlestar. Really enjoyed the new series :smashin:

Hi stridley

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion as you. All types of TV have their ups and downs, this happens to be a weakness of LCD along with the black levels which are good enough but can struggle at times. However, moving from a 28" CRT to a good 32" LCD is a revelation - with no scan lines, pictures through DVD / XBox hi-def look stunning, without a doubt.

Re. Battlestar - top stuff! Was amazed by the special effects for a TV show. Very dark themes too, I was impressed.

its a bit hard to know what you mean, can you take a picture?

Hi

I'lltry and get a pic in the next day or so. Watched a dark film last night and it was fairly apparent, even from the dead on central position. Apart from a couple of us here, does no one else have this issue? I guess the difference in brightness is around 10-15%.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom