Lcd philips 30pf9975

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by cajovcm, Jun 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. cajovcm

cajovcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, this is my first post.
    I'm from Portugal so please forgive me my english.
    I have a Lcd philips 30pf9975 and on the manual says that "EXT5 Y-Pb-Br 480p, 576p,1080i."
    I have my dvd player (also a philips dvp720sa) connected to the lcd with Y-Pb-Br and i have progressive scan activated, and in the lcd osd shows that i have 576p.

My questions are:
    1- What is the diference between the "p" and the "i"?
    2- What is better, the "p" or the "i"?
    3- How can i get 1080i?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cajovcm,

Welcome to the forums :) .

The 'p' means that your LCD is receiving a progressive signal from your DVD player. If it were 'i', that would mean an interlaced signal. There are lots of info on the net that explain the difference between progressive and interlaced scan (maybe you can check out the Progressive Scan forum where I believe there's an introduction on the subject).

Technically, a progressive image will always be better. Your LCD display will always display a progressive image, so, either it receives a progressive signal from the source (DVD player) and display it, OR, it receives an interlaced signal, converts it to progressive, and then display it. Therefore, you should check which item converts the image to progressive better: the LCD display or the DVD player.

You have a 576p image because you're displaying a PAL disc. To 'have' 1080i, you either need to have some HD source (Euro1080 ?) or a scaling device that upscales a 576 signal to 1080 lines.

NS