1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd Perfect Geometry?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bodcod, May 20, 2005.

1. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just been to a local Richersounds store to have a look at lcd tvs.Iv'e read in magazines and on forums that lcd tvs have perfect geomatry, as i have had 4 differrent crt sets with horrible geomatry i thought i'd take a look at lcd's.

I tested a Sharp LC26GA5E wich had finding nemo running on it and was quite impressed. I then asked the assistant to hook hook up a dvd direct to the set rather than the shared feed they had, so i could get a good look at the pic.

Well i got Gladiator put on and started to watch a few scenes ad to my amazment a horizontaly scrolling shot showed the same compression and expansion effect i have on my current philips crt, this came as a bit of a shock so i ran the scene again and there it was the same effect.

This has got me asking if lcd's really do have perfect geomatry a i had benn led to belive.

Does ay one here have a lcd with dodgy horizontl geomatry?

Bod

2. pro510

pro510

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I'm aware, you should get perfect geometry if using a digital connection, e.g. PC with DVI into LCD with DVI. If analogue is used, then I'm not sure.

Graham

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds like the screen settings was in 'Panorama' and not 'Full'

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The most likely reason for this is that the DVD player was set (incorrectly) to 4:3 output. The TV would then display that using whatever Sharp sets use to expand 4:3 to 16:9. This would give stretching at the edges of the picture.

The other possibility is that the sample of the set you saw has horizontal linearity errors but that is very unlikely .

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another possibility would be whether the actual film was supposed to have this effect in there for a dramatic feel? Maybe the lense used created this effect?

Ben

6. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

The dvd player was set up to ouput widescreen and i set the tv to widescreen as well. the assistant did ay 1st set it to 16:zoom wich i tols him was incorret and set it to widesreen myself as Gladiator is an anomophic print.I also noticed the very top of the screen was kinked slightly i.e dorr frame at the top of the screen were slightly bent to the left, This was with the sixth sense dvd.

Woul it make any difference if i was to use a digital connection rather than r.g.b. scart?

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There should not be geometry issues on a lcd screen, can an owner of this particular set clarify this issue so i know if i need to be careful with geometry when buying my lcd :rolleyes:

8. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just to update my situation i have just played the same secene from Gladiator that i saw on the sharp and the geometry was fine on my tosh widescren crt(32w8db).

I guess it the sharp could have been faulty in some way, and i am going to check some more screens at john lewis at the weekend as long as they can hook up a dvd as their tv feed is not to good.

Does anyone know what ps2 games look like on the Sharp LC26GA5E.
    Also does it have a good r.g.b. pic as when i saw it at richersounds it looked more like a compisite pic, the set was hooked up to a cambridge audio dvd payer with a r.g.b scart lead connected direct into scart ext 1 ( not going through a scart slitter box).

Thx for any advice :)

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I started a topic on the Thomson 32LB220, looks decent

10. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can only comment on the SHARP 32GA5.
    I currently have everything connected via RGB scart.
    Picture quality is excellent with Xbox games, so should look equally effective on PS2. (no, i'm not going to start a 'which is the best console' debate ;))
    It is my understanding that LCD screens are incapable of displaying poor geometry. ie it should always be perfect due to the technology involved. :confused:

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    They aren't exactly incapable; if the incoming signal has curves in it, or if the scaler is doing something odd (like the "Panorama" setting does) then, yes, clearly, bad geometry can result. It would be more accurate, I guess, to say that a direct view LCD (or Plasma for that matter) screen is not predisposed towards geometry errors, and properly driven, will produce a geometrically perfect image.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    An LCD cannot have geometry flaws. Full Stop. Geometry flaws on CRT's are caused by misalignments and deformities within the tube - an LCD cannot have this problem.

Any flaws with alignment on an LCD screen can only be caused by processing faults or, as mentioned above, input faults.

Don't rush out and buy the Sharp or the Thomson until you have researched them fully. The Sharp you are talking about has no HiDef capability and Thomson have earned very little credit with their LCD efforts so far.

There are a new raft of LCD's coming soon from the markets leaders (Philips, Sharp and Toshiba) and I would look very carefully at what these sets will be able to do before plumping for an inferior TV. Take a gander at the Hitachi's too - they are at least making an effort.

Jimmy