1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd panel for new conservatory

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by polecat, Sep 1, 2005.

1. polecat

polecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, first post so here goes,
    I am looking for a lcd tv for use in the new conservatory we are having built at the moment, i am torn between two right now,the 26" duel available at asda for £489 and the 30"haier at ebuyer for £550.
    At this time i am tempted to go for the duel,it seems to slightly better connectivity,asda is just a mile or so down the road so easy to pick up or return if faulty (no costly posting back to online supplier) plus wall bracket is supplied.
    On the plus side for the haier,bigger screen,better looking (from the pic ive seen anyway)
    Both seem to have good reviews on these forums.
    Not to bothered about hd tv at this time,ive read sky is only rolling out sports and sky one maybe a few movies, anyway its only a second tv for the kids and wife to watch,ill have to stick to the heavyweight 36" panasonic crt in front room.
    just another quick question, while the conservatory is in the building stage i will be chasing the cables into the wall eg power,coax pf100, scart,should i also put dvi cable in and maybe speaker cable for surround sound as the tv will be mounted on the wall and iwant all cables to be hidden if poss.
    Thanks
    Oh great site by the way

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Make sure you read the manufacturers instructions regarding positioning in sunlight and next to heat sources. Some displays will shut themselves down when they get too hot, say 40C which is easily achieved in direct sunlight, some may prematurely fail. Now is a good time of year to test, so maybe you could put a max-min thermometer on the wall where you intend to mount the display. Conversely, LCD's don't work so well in cold conditions - the LC's don't move so rapidly.

-Ian

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Beware ! LCD displays are not "insect proof" !

If you happen to be in one of the areas in the south east or east where a lot of wheat is grown, you may come across "storm bugs" or "thrips", which are tiny insects which live in the ears of wheat. The have an uncanny ability to get inside very narrow places, and die. I have 3 dead ones in my Toshiba LCD screen, and I've only had it 4 months, and it looks like 3 dead pixels.

4. polecat

polecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes seen these tiny critters knocking around, as i do quite a bit of work in the countryside,i will have to get one of those electric bug zappers mounted near the screen :D but seriously i dont think i will be effected by these, There are no fields where i live for a few miles.
    But what i really wanted to know was about the duel tv (at asda) and the haier L30 CV6 comparisons etc. also about the cabling as my previous post.
    cheers
    polecat :smashin: