LCD over gas fire - living room plan

P

phil short

Being impressed by some of the DIY builds on here, I thought I'd seek the forums advice.

We're looking to remodel our living room shortly, and I want to get the TV into a more AV friendly position. Currently we have a 33" 4:3 set stuffed into a corner, with the attendant surround speaker compromises.

I'm planning to rip out the faux Adams fireplace and install a low profile "slot" type hold in the wall fire, build a "chunky" shelf above that to house the centre speaker, and fit an LCD screen over the top. The shelf will be built in Supalux board and about 4" high and deep (just big enough to swallow the Monitor Radius 180 centre), and the plan is to have it as a floating shelf painted to match the wall so it looks like an extrusion of the wall itself.

I'm trying to get the TV as low as possible. Here's what I want it to look like:

tvlayout.jpg

I missed the front speakers off, currently Monitor Radius 90's, but I'm hoping to upgrade those to 225/250 or 270's (though my REL Stratus doesn't really need the help!). The box on the right is a window!

Approx dimensions:
  • fire as close to the floor as possible, about 8"
  • low profile fire, ideally about 1 ft high opening
  • 4" gap to 4" shelf then further 4" gap to LCD screen

On a 36" LCD that puts the centre line about 3ft6in off the floor, which should be comfortable.

I'll bury the cables, and I'm not too bothered about flush mounting. Not sure where to put the DVD (Pioneer 717) amp (Denon AVC-1D) and NTL box yet. :rolleyes:

Anyone see any any problems in this proposal? Perhaps more importantly, anyone know where I can get a suitable gas fire (Class II flue BTW) ;)

Just wondering if the shelf would be to deep if you built it to hold the dvd, amp and ntl box, giving the shelf a removable lid.

barge and pole spring to mind.

Not worth the effort, your in effect slow roasting your LCD.

putbinoot said:
Just wondering if the shelf would be to deep if you built it to hold the dvd, amp and ntl box, giving the shelf a removable lid.

I think so, and at that height probably take out a few kneecaps!

I'm having exactly the same quandry regarding fire/lcd placement.
I've looked at just about every fire in the country and can't find one that is low enough to allow an lcd panel above it without the prospect of melting the tele.
So, what I've decided to do instead is move the fire into the corner of the room by building a false chimney breast at a 45 degree angle across the corner, kind of where you'd traditionally have put a tele.
I'm gonna use a tall think fire, like this one.
http://www.westcountryfires.co.uk/fires/products/175.asp
Then that frees up the wall for my lcd that I can put wherever is best for it, rather than were it fits with the fire.

Phil,
How about putting a support down to the floor from under shelf, just to left of fire (you could make it look as if the one support was holding the shelf up if you painted it the same colour etc.)
You could then put your DVD player, Amp etc. to the left of the support away from the heat & still hide cables in the wall?
Just a thought.

Nige

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom