LCD over fireplace?

garagekru

Standard Member
has anyone mounted a lcd over a gas fire?

am having a gas fire in my lounge which has a large stone surround. i was wondering if it is possible to put my 46 inch lcd tv above

my wife reckons it will be alright but am getting paronoid that it will kill my tv.

i am a plasterer so can do any work my self and and advice would be great

inzaman

I will try this in LCDs for you :)

Phil_1080

Standard Member
you SHOULD be okay, if it was a plasma, i'd say definately a no go. But LCD -should- be fine.

I wouldn't though, just to be on the safeside, plus I think it looks a bit tacky!

KUBBY

Novice Member
Hi

There was another poster making the same enquiry.

My question to them was,Do you know how wide your flu is and, indeed,How far behind the brickwork and plasterboard it is?

I know that when I have my gas fire on,the wall above gets warm from the flu.The long term effect of this heat from behind,and any from below May have a detrimental effect on your set.

Another poster also pointed out that if you damage the flu you would have carbon monoxide leaking into your room from behind the tv.

So,what with the crick in your neck from having to look upwards at your screen and the chance of being poisoned while doing so,is it worth it?

Im not going to bother.

KH

evo7

Novice Member
i have had a 42" plasmas above the a working fire place and never had any problems at all.i now have 46"lcd again no problems at all.personaly i dont think it looks tacky at all,if anything i think it looks more tacky being on a stand.lets face it a flat screen should be on a flat wall.anybody who has seen mine in the fleash has aways said how good it looks wall mounted.and as for getting a stiff neck well thats just daft as you dont at all.

dont take any notice of the wires in my pics as they will be hidden soon

Attachments

Phill1978

Novice Member
i have had a 42" plasmas above the a working fire place and never had any problems at all.i now have 46"lcd again no problems at all.personaly i dont think it looks tacky at all,if anything i think it looks more tacky being on a stand.lets face it a flat screen should be on a flat wall.anybody who has seen mine in the fleash has aways said how good it looks wall mounted.and as for getting a stiff neck well thats just daft as you dont at all.

dont take any notice of the wires in my pics as they will be hidden soon
looks good, my 47" philips lcd will be above the fireplace soon also.

what is the height of that fire surround out of interest ?

evo7

Novice Member
looks good, my 47" philips lcd will be above the fireplace soon also.

what is the height of that fire surround out of interest ?
132cm to the top.and we sit 10feet away from the screen.the great advantage for me aswell as the looks is the fact the kids cant get there sticky fingers on it:thumbsup:.

apart from the people who want a flat screen so they can take advantage of hd why do people buy a flat screen tv and then stick it on a stand in the corner of the room where it takes up just as much space as there old crt?

KUBBY

Novice Member
yes,Ive got to admit that does look good.

Phill1978

Novice Member
132cm to the top.and we sit 10feet away from the screen.the great advantage for me aswell as the looks is the fact the kids cant get there sticky fingers on it:thumbsup:.

apart from the people who want a flat screen so they can take advantage of hd why do people buy a flat screen tv and then stick it on a stand in the corner of the room where it takes up just as much space as there old crt?
would you have let it rest on the stand ? i dont have kids yet (although im finding it hard im under preassure :rolleyes:) but my firesurround is quite deep with a lip on the front so i could probably get away with placing it on there with the stand attached ( 3.5" stand height and about 20cm depth) its very heavy though + my model is about as deep as a plasma due to ambilight system so might not make much diffo wall mounting it..

will have to wait and see

PioneerKuro

Standard Member
Hey... i have just put mine up over fireplace... initially it feels high and i find it uncfomertable.. do you get used to it.... ;) im giving myself 4-6 weeks.. if still uncomfertable then i will take it down

evo7

Novice Member
Hey... i have just put mine up over fireplace... initially it feels high and i find it uncfomertable.. do you get used to it.... ;) im giving myself 4-6 weeks.. if still uncomfertable then i will take it down
i think what you have to take into account is not just how high it is mounted but how far you are away from it,as if you sat 2 foot away then yes it will continue to be uncfomertable but if your sat at the sort of distance i am then you get use to it in no time(when you look at a mountin at a distance it doesnt hurt your neck doest it but stand at the bottom of it and look at the top and it will).what i find is when im watching tv and relaxing i rest my head on the back of the sofa a so my head natrualy rests inline with the tv if you get what i mean.

evo7

Novice Member
would you have let it rest on the stand ? i dont have kids yet (although im finding it hard im under preassure :rolleyes:) but my firesurround is quite deep with a lip on the front so i could probably get away with placing it on there with the stand attached ( 3.5" stand height and about 20cm depth) its very heavy though + my model is about as deep as a plasma due to ambilight system so might not make much diffo wall mounting it..

will have to wait and see
personaly i wouldnt put it on the stand as i would worry that i might knock it down.put it this way before i had this 46" lcd samsung i demo,d the 52" samsung f96 (39kg) and i had that up on the wall and it was on there solid.the bwall bracket i have is very good mind as i have had it now for about 4-5 years and it has fiitted 11 differant plasma,s that i have had.but to make it secure i put in 6 x heavy duty bolts type screws with very meaty plugs.the other good thing about it is when the tv is put on the bracket it has 4 small bolts that secure the the two parts of the brackets together so if anybody gets into my house and wants the tv it cant just be lifted off the wall and in order to get the small bolts out you need the special key that comes with the kit.

Lt. Dang

Novice Member
Hmmmm, not sure about any problems from additional heat.

But what about having your LCD TV directly above a source of warm rising air (the fireplace) carrying a constant stream of dust and any particulates of combustion? Not saying that this will definitely cause any problems but all LCD and Plasma TVs do have air vents and some have fans (even LCD ones) and may suck in any crud rising up from the fire?

Just my five pence worth.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

evo7

Novice Member
Hmmmm, not sure about any problems from additional heat.

But what about having your LCD TV directly above a source of warm rising air (the fireplace) carrying a constant stream of dust and any particulates of combustion? Not saying that this will definitely cause any problems but all LCD and Plasma TVs do have air vents and some have fans (even LCD ones) and may suck in any crud rising up from the fire?

Just my five pence worth.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
my last plasma was above the fireplace for 2 years and it never missed a beat and never got hot for that matter,as for dust there was no more than you would normaly get.

mike7

I really cannot see why people persist in doing this. When flat screens came out one of the selling points was "you can hang them on the wall like a picture". Well hardly, its not just a case of banging a hook in the wall and hanging it up. There are usually lots of wires to consider. Still people seem obsessed by the idea. Of the ones I have seen you have to sit with your head at an uncomfortable angle to watch the picture. After years of watching a tv a foot or so off the floor, suddenly people want to be looking up at something near the ceiling ! Why ? Unless you have a pretty large room it looks really naff. I have yet to discover a cinema with a nice fireplace where the orchestra pit would be. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

evo7

Novice Member
I really cannot see why people persist in doing this. When flat screens came out one of the selling points was "you can hang them on the wall like a picture". Well hardly, its not just a case of banging a hook in the wall and hanging it up. There are usually lots of wires to consider. Still people seem obsessed by the idea. Of the ones I have seen you have to sit with your head at an uncomfortable angle to watch the picture. After years of watching a tv a foot or so off the floor, suddenly people want to be looking up at something near the ceiling ! Why ? Unless you have a pretty large room it looks really naff. I have yet to discover a cinema with a nice fireplace where the orchestra pit would be. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
like i have said in my other post i have got 3 kids and being able to put the screen up on the wall and out of there way is great.trust me 3 kids and s 46" screen on a swival stand would not go together.at the end of the day its each to there own and imo it looks best up on the wall and every body who had seen mine in the flesh has said the same.

evo7

Novice Member
i dont get what your trying to get at with the cinema fireplace thing:confused: every time i have been to the cinema the screen goes above the hight of your head

Lt. Dang

Novice Member
The height at which an LCD panel is mounted is a factor to consider. Since LCD screens have a limited vewing angle the "experts" say that the screen should be mounted at head-height whilst viewing - pesumably whilst sitting down?

Screens viewed from a large lateral or vertical angle may therefore present a degraded picture.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

Fox McCloud

Very nice my friend.
But do something about those cables will ya! I want em gone by the end of the week ;) lol

My new 40XF355 is going to have to go in the bay window because of my stupid decision when buying the house (didnt think id keep it) of putting a radiator in the cheapest place. But in my other house which has the exact same layout as yours mate, im going to put it on the chimney breast :) Ive been practicing looking at it by staring at the mirror thats their now for awhile.

I find it more comfortable looking there than I do now of looking in the corner at a ****ing Sammy 419D no a simple stand.
Might be just preference. Plus, big TVs look ***** in corners dont they.

evo7

Novice Member
The height at which an LCD panel is mounted is a factor to consider. Since LCD screens have a limited vewing angle the "experts" say that the screen should be mounted at head-height whilst viewing - pesumably whilst sitting down?

Screens viewed from a large lateral or vertical angle may therefore present a degraded picture.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
yes you have a good point there as some lose alot of quality.as you can see by my pics below mine seems to cope very well off dead center and i dont notice any differance in picture quality from sitting down to standing up.

evo7

Novice Member
Very nice my friend.
But do something about those cables will ya! I want em gone by the end of the week ;) lol

My new 40XF355 is going to have to go in the bay window because of my stupid decision when buying the house (didnt think id keep it) of putting a radiator in the cheapest place. But in my other house which has the exact same layout as yours mate, im going to put it on the chimney breast :) Ive been practicing looking at it by staring at the mirror thats their now for awhile.

I find it more comfortable looking there than I do now of looking in the corner at a ****ing Sammy 419D no a simple stand.
Might be just preference. Plus, big TVs look ***** in corners dont they.
i will get them hidden just for you:D
i have to wait until the cables i want come in stock as its only short runs i can get hold of and i need 4-5m runs

Fox McCloud

Can i just ask what sort of unit you have to the left of the chimney? Presuming some sort of cabinet for all your av equipment obviously...
Since your room is exactly the same as mine...i may aswell see what looks good before i take a plunge

evo7

Novice Member
Can i just ask what sort of unit you have to the left of the chimney? Presuming some sort of cabinet for all your av equipment obviously...
Since your room is exactly the same as mine...i may aswell see what looks good before i take a plunge
i bought it from argos a few year back but the unit only comes with 2 shelves as standard so i bought another one just for the extra shelves.it is very strong as i use to have a pioneer vsa ax10i amp sat on the top and the was 30kg.i will post a pic for you

Fox McCloud

Do you live up my road or somet ? Its the same room lol!

Nice PS3 and BT Paragon you got there :) An a Netgear router i beleive, is it the Sky one ?

Atleast your fire doesnt have the cable coming out of the front of it! Whoever had my house before me was retarded in the DIY department.

evo7

Novice Member
Do you live up my road or somet ? Its the same room lol!

Nice PS3 and BT Paragon you got there :) An a Netgear router i beleive, is it the Sky one ?

Atleast your fire doesnt have the cable coming out of the front of it! Whoever had my house before me was retarded in the DIY department.
no i dont have sky mate.i have just started to rebuild my set again as i sold the lot to fund my evo purchase but now getting back into it all.started with the ps3 and now the 46" samsung and as soon as it goes on sale i will get the new topfield TF5810 pvr with 500gb hdd.and soon to follow will be the replacment for the pioneer vasa ax10ai amp which is the SC-LX90.as for speakers i have still to make my mind up.

evo7

Novice Member
i have looked in the new argos catalogue and i cant see that stand anymore but like i said it was a few years back.i think for the money it looks good and does a great job,total for the two units to make the one was around £40 plus because i only used two of the shelves out of the second unit i have a load of spares for if it gets scratched.