LCD or slimfit CRT?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by pault2007, May 6, 2007.

1. pault2007

pault2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,387
  2. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The SlimFits come in a 21" 4:3 and 32" widescreen only in Europe. In India they have a couple of other 4:3 sizes as well.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Go for the LCD. The quality of them is much better than it was a couple of years ago and CRT is history anyway.

4. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Sorry totally disagree. LCD is never going to get anywhere near CRT quality especially at the price of a SlimFit.

CRT has still got plenty of mileage, it's just for some reason the major players decided that they wouldn't sell CRT's in Europe anymore except Samsung who are actively promoting it.

In the USA, CRT sets are still big sellers with HD CRT sets from Philips, Samsung, JVC, Sony, Toshiba and other manufacturers available.

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,483
    CRTs are cheap and the technology is as far as it’s ever going to get. You may get convergence errors especially with widescreens where the image to the sides may have trouble displaying vertically correctly. CRT’s are also bigger and heavier and usually SD only unless you can find a HD set. The figure quoted for size isn’t correct either. A 28” screen is usually only 27” corner to corner. The other inch or so of the tube is under the fascia. Any speakers placed near the screen must be shielded.

LCDs are lighter and slimmer. They can go to a far bigger size than CRT and you can mount on the wall. They can be used as a PC monitor or display HD pictures from your PS3, 360, Sky + box etc. LCDs may not handle deep blacks or motion as well. A 28” screen is genuinely 28”. They aren’t affected by convergence errors and can display a very sharp still image. There is no problem with sticking hi-fi speakers next to the screen.

6. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,LCD's reign won't be as long as CRT's(at least with out individual pixel illumination etc etc),so get ready to take a sting on your purchase when SED's & OLED's start appearing(thats assuming there good).Size & moveability don't bother me,& no prob with SWMBO.

Cheers BOB

7. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    CRTs are better than LCDs as LCDs suffer from motion blur, Plasmas are just as good as CRTs but some like the Panasonic PX60 and PX600 suffer from purple snakes......... a fault which CRTs never suffer from.

8. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,483
    Bear in mind if you post in a CRT forum you are going to get biased responses.

9. gixxerman

gixxerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I don't think anyone has to be "biased" to see that CRT (in widescreen form at least) has it's strong and weak points......and that LCD TVs do too.

Obviously those of us that have chosen to stick with CRT (for now at least) simply have weighed this truth up & choosen the CRT over the LCD.

That's not to say that CRT is utterly perfect in every way but it is merely an informed choice given that each have their strengths and weaknesses.

I can easily see how a LCD might appeal in certain situation (space saving being prime, for instance with a TV in a bedroom - but then again with a slimfit HD TV in a corner in a living room.....well, what else would you do with that corner anyways, it doesn't seem such a big deal to me).

I do find it odd that one must be "biased" to still prefer CRT.
    I looked at both last spring/summer, preferred the CRT and bought one.
    I went to look again this spring to see what improvements there had been in LCD and still came away without seeing anything that made me feel inclined to buy an LCD.
    Sorry but that's the truth of it, my Samsung CRT HD TV shows a superb image and I don't want to spend more money on something that looks worse.
    IMHO of course.

Sure there are a few of 'issues' with CTRs sometimes......and often ones that can be adjusted away, either completely or in large part.

But the idea that LCDs (especially given the price of the better quality ones) are without 'issues' themselves is a perfect example of 'bias' cos they most certainly do have 'issues' to this day.

......and no doubt some of the LCD's 'issues' can be tuned out with careful set-up too. ;)

10. Spartacus

Spartacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Spot on. I recently bought a LCD PC Monitor. Paid about £400 for what I was told was a "decent one". The motion blur is awful.

There is no way I will buy an LCD TV until this is fixed.

I may be tempted by a plasma if they don't suffer, but I was under the impression that they too suffer from Sample and Hold effects?

11. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    All the plasmas i saw in currys etc never suffered from motion blur, on my plasma
    i've never seen motion blur at all.

12. pelago

pelago

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some people just don't notice it, I guess.

13. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    My LCD certainly doesn't have any motion blur.

14. macguffin

macguffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I recently purchased a 32" version of the Samsung 26" LE26R74BDX/XEU. I had it one day before sending the LCD back for a refund. My reasons for sending it back was:
    1. disappointing black levels even when viewed in a darkend room. Star Wars ep 3 was terrible even after calibrating with THX optimizer.
    2. Terrible SD playback. It was like watching a copy of a VHS on some dvds. One of my favorite western 'Shane' (1953) that looks perfectly fine on my 32" jvc crt was absolutly awful.
    3. terrible motion lag/jitter
    4. and finally when viewed in a darkened room the LCD was lit up like a christmas tree due to light leakage.
    I must admit though that high resolution sources did look good such as a pc and HD but the above points of 1 and 3 did still persisted. The samsung also looked fantastic aestethically
    I must admit the Samsung is the lower end of the LCD market and maybe higher end makes and models would would fare better.

I am currently looking into the new samsung hd crt, when they are released
    hopefully in July. Hopefully there design problems are sorted. It a shame that the UK does not have the same choice and range of televvision esp. HD CRT as do the States and Japan buts that market forces for you. Also i am looking at the Panasonic plasma range that has very good black levels, although not as good as crt.

Please take into consideration that these are my personal expierences and opinions, my intentions are not to bash one or the other, just to be as objective as possible in this subjective world. A contradiction in terms, I know!

15. baseline

baseline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD TVs offer very poor image quality...........

yes, they are large, and look nice ( Switched off ) and for many, this is enough.

but the motion blur, artificial colours, mosquito noise ( etc ) creates a horrible ( IMO ) image quality....

I would much rather stick to a 25" CRT ( I have ) then have ANY Lcd tv, or indeed plasma...

though plasma is MUCH better than LCD, but still has issues, all these grid based displays do, and the resolution re-processing can make poorer quality sources ( VHS - Freeview ) look far worse than they actually are..........

Ive never understood why anyone would buy a LCD tv, when Plasmas are clearly superior.

then again, CRTs are even better.

a slimline 36" HD CRT v LCd / plasma ?

no contest.............crt is miles ahead of them all......dont take my word for it, just LOOK at HD images on HD lcd / plasma

and then look at SD on SD CRT, the lower res CRT is 100s of times better. u dont watch CRT and see any motion blur , or dithering noise, or mosquito noise............

try watching snooker on LCD / PLASMA !!! :suicide:

16. sidyal

sidyal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't have an LCD in my living room.
    Occasional use tv (kitchen, bedroom etc..) would be ok.

I dislike the motion blur and general all round picture quality.

I have my own business repairing sets and see plenty of different types.
    I'm seeing more faulty LCD sets now that spares aren't available for.
    Always buy a known big brand otherwise you might end up with a binner after a couple of years.

17. chrissyman

chrissyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i now have a sony s series bravia and was watching the cricket last night on c/5
    and the picture was fantastic, NO motion blur' wonderfull and i used to have a CRT wega. which was great, i find that you only get problems with lcd's when its either a poor quality channel or just a low bit rate feed like news reports etc.

but i would not spend anymore than 600 for one'(which is what mine cost) because in a few years there maybe something better