1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or Plasma???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Kwozzii, Jul 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Kwozzii

Kwozzii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello all,new to this forum so please bear with me.......
    I'm being made redundant in a few months as was just wondering,in your opinions,which I should squander a good slice of my wedge on.
    Not sure whether to fo for a plasma or an LCD,and are component inputs better than RGB as I'll probably upgrade my aging AV set-up while I'm at it......

Cheers

Kwozzii

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Kwozzii,

Well, I've just "squandered" some of my redundancy wedge on a Pioneer 433MXE - go for it, you won't regret it. ;) I'd try to stick to component video if you can, so something like a Pioneer AX10i amp would be an excellent partner to a plasma. Saying that, I have Sky in to the VGA input via a superb JST converter. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    You should definitely compare for yourself. The subjective qualities of LCD and Plasma images differ. Really, only you can decide which you prefer the 'look' of.

Not that I'm recommending these items specifically, but Sony have a 30 inch LCD, and a 32 inch Plasma. Similar sizes. So, to get a feel for which technology you like the look of, try find a well endowed Sony centre.

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

IMO the 32 plasma is far superior than the awful 30 inch LCD.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the opposite is true in the case of the Sony's.

You will find a plasma bias on these forums so beware.

6. Glauco BruZZi

Glauco BruZZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasmas for me.

Blacks on LCDs still not up to with the better Plasmas Displays. There's a feeling I'm watching thru a "fog" with LCDs.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Yep, like I said; peoples' opinions differ hugely, mainly depending on what shortcoming (and all technologies have some) you find most intrusive. You really can only choose for yourself. The Sony suggestion was simply made as a convenient way of comparing, side by side, similar screen sizes of both technologies. You still have to recognise that, within each technology, the standard varies hugely. But it should give you an initial feel for the differences.

BTW - I would be much more likely to choose LCD over Plasma. But that is my choice - not necessarily yours.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion is that a good plasma will most times beat an LCD for PQ. Trouble is there are so many plasmas out there with such hugely varying prices that it's hard to pin them down. I have seen both the Sony screens and I felt the LCD was better by some way, although I did not get a chance to fiddle with the settings (another problem when comparing).

For me, the lightness, low energy use, cool running and lack of any burn problems swing it for LCD. Probably 80% of people will tell you to buy plasma but you must decide for yourself.

I just can't get my head around the stream of posts on here talking about screen burn worries and how you can avoid it. Myth or not, I don't want to be wondering if I need to turn the PC off yet in case I get a permanent taskbar on the screen!

9. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree with Nigel that it's a matter of personal choice between LCD & Plasma (although anyone that has already spent the £££££ on a plasma will tell you one thing only).

IMO LCD is the winner at the moment and most likely what I will be choosing between the Sony 30MR1 and Hitachi 32PD3000 plasma. Both great sets but the styling of the Sony is exceptional and I'm more than happy with the picture q. The only issues are contrast regarding black levels but I think it make up for it in other areas incl HD feeds and the better display qaulity of digital photos. Costco (American wholsale) have the Sony LCD & Plasma setup next to each other and I think the LCD had the better picture and stunning looks are the bonus.

John Archer (one of the better mag testers) is reviewing the SONY LCD 30" in this months HCC and seems bowled over by it. But then you read last months What Vid and it's reviewer wasn't as impressed with the picture quality. So if the pro reveiwers can't agree on these sets then it shows how much it is down to personal preferences. Although saying that I sometimes wonder how much bias there is from some of the reviewers towards certain brands/Technologies, it would be interesting to know what their choice of TV is at home :)
    JA mentions that testing the set with 1080i high def signals were outstanding and it would be well up to High Def DVD's when they arrive. So I guess!! that this future proofing helps out on the lack of contrast issues.

Cheers
    Muzz
    :smoke:
    I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things and I'm so far behind I will never die.

10. kuisless

kuisless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks this site (Compare LCD Plasma), you'll get a lot of information about LCD and plasma. Image quality is better on plasma screens, but lcd has some advandages...

11. Wally West

Wally West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You haven't specified how you intend to use your new tv. Are you mainly watching sports or films? Do you have a HD source such as Sky HD/Blu Ray or HD DVD player? Will you be playing games on a PS3 or X-Box 360?

These can all influence your decision. I watch Blu Ray discs, plan to get Sky HD and have a PS3 for gaming, so despite the fact that plasma probably offers better pictures in terms of colours and motion handling, I went for an LCD screen as the HD pictures are good enough for me and I wanted to avoid screenburn.

12. SDMDAM

SDMDAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    I have both - a Toshiba 32" LCD and a Panasonic 37" Plasma. Both are really good although the Plasma is probably better with SD and motion so football and sports looks better on that. I have tried HD through and HD-E1 and a PS3 and it looks good on both. Personally, I think the Plasma has the edge due to the fact that I don't have Sky HD so most of my viewing is SD and Plasma is definitely better for SD.

Ironically, I had ordered a 37" LCD - Samsung R87 but it was faulty so I opted to go for the Plasma so I am not a Plasma snob as had the LCD been okay I would probably have bought it.

My wife thinks the Plasma is the best by a mile mind you.

Try to have a look at both and judge for yourself.