LCD or Plasma

famousbarrys

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right, I am new here so apologies if I am asking the age old question that has been done to death on here. If it is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it

I am looking to buy a new large-screen TV. I don't want to wall mount it, want a nice stand. Probably looking at a 37 inch or something similar.

Should I go for LCD or Plasma?

I have heard the new Samsung full-HD range is good. However I have been told that LCD isn't as good on large screen sizes (is that a hangover from previous generation screens?)

Any way any help, gratefully received

Hi, I was in a store today checking out Flat Panel TV's Plasma or LCD. I went to Samsungs new (6) A Crystal range. I must say the picture was terrible; the Colour looked over done, cheap and plastic. The shadowing in some scenes was awful, black screen did not impress with it's 50,000 Contrast. I could have burst into tears as I was certain this would be the TV to be had. There was a Panasonic next to it 42 if I am not mistaken, plasma. Blew the Samsung away,in so many aspects. Sony Bravia was a great looking picture and I was assured (sales pitch, alert) that Sony would be the right choice. So here are my facts, basically what I'm wanting it for, looking for: Well it has to have full HD, 100 Hertz Tech or above, 30.000 Contrast or more. I watch Sky TV and normal Cable, DVD'S and then Blu Rays. I also watch a lot of Sport hence the 100'Hrtz Technology if I am not mistaken. By the way I live in Germany, so if something is not clear (pardon the TV pun) please let me know. As I wish to learn, about my stuff and not just pose. I am also building my Surround system up from scratch with it, I have 2 JBL's Stand Speakers t600 (awesome sound) I want 7.1 so a few missing Speakers there and obviously a new receiver (got my eye on a Denon 1908, upscales video signal as well) I have a Month to go before we move into our new house so I do not have to buy tomorrow so I can wait. More than 42" would be a waste. So Plasma or LCD? Any thoughts? By the way tis my first post and first in English in a while, so stay with me on this, lol and Hello to everyone by the way.:hiya:

Oh and the price well lets say it has stop the Missus Magic and Genius Question (used for just about everything) do we really need to pay THAT much for a telly.. so no more than 1,500Euros which is 1,192.GBP however cheaper works, NO! not for the missus, for me. Then I can justify spending more on Speakers or a receiver you see oh ;-)

Hi, I've just moved from a 42" panny plasma (SD) to a Sony 46" LCD and to be honest I prefer the picture from a plasma, the only reason I went for the Lcd was the wife wouldnt let me have a 50" but agreed to compromise and let me have a 46" :rolleyes:,plasmas dont usually come in 46" the only other option at the time was the new 46" panny plasma but it was too expensive.

I find the blacks nowhere near as good as the plasma , the whole image brightens considerably if viewed from a side angle and then theres the issue of backlight bleed (very slight in my case but still there) , the plus sides are that the image is crisper than the plasma and colours seem to be more vivid . Overall I would still go for plasma if I could have the size I wanted :mad:.

seems strange to me you would ask this question :confused: isnt it a case of going to look at the lcd and plasma range that you are interested in and you buying the set you prefer ? at the end of the day its you who will have to pay for it and you who will be watching it ....... the plasma v lcd debate will never end....... and at the end of the day your personal preference will decide surely :smashin:

seems strange to me you would ask this question :confused: isnt it a case of going to look at the lcd and plasma range that you are interested in and you buying the set you prefer ? at the end of the day its you who will have to pay for it and you who will be watching it ....... the plasma v lcd debate will never end....... and at the end of the day your personal preference will decide surely :smashin:

Alien V Predator LCD V Plasma Agreed ongoing, but who's edging it? And as I listed up above that's what I will be aiming for with my buy. But I thought it would be prudent of me to ask here as I am well aware of the help some of you guys can give me honest answers, with no sales pitch. However I am just stuck at the moment. Thing is The New Samsung 6 Range really disappointed me, to the extreme were I was completely knocked off course. Heard so much about Plasma this Plasma that, Thought to myself LCD, then after yesterdays LCD display from Samsung I was down and out. Sonys Bravia looked cool but pricey..At the end of the day YES I am paying, so why such a Forum if I can't pose such a question? Samsungs designs are sweet, Sonys well nuff said, Sharps looked really good, then so did Philips..catch my drift here? I want to be up to date with my buy and not "look what I just bought". At the the end of the day I shall way the odds and pro's and Cons, just need a few nudges in the right direction.

Alien V Predator LCD V Plasma Agreed ongoing, but who's edging it? And as I listed up above that's what I will be aiming for with my buy. But I thought it would be prudent of me to ask here as I am well aware of the help some of you guys can give me honest answers, with no sales pitch. However I am just stuck at the moment. Thing is The New Samsung 6 Range really disappointed me, to the extreme were I was completely knocked off course. Heard so much about Plasma this Plasma that, Thought to myself LCD, then after yesterdays LCD display from Samsung I was down and out. Sonys Bravia looked cool but pricey..At the end of the day YES I am paying, so why such a Forum if I can't pose such a question? Samsungs designs are sweet, Sonys well nuff said, Sharps looked really good, then so did Philips..catch my drift here? I want to be up to date with my buy and not "look what I just bought". At the the end of the day I shall way the odds and pro's and Cons, just need a few nudges in the right direction.

Well asking the question in this Forum will point you towards LCD and asking the same question in the Plasma Forum will point you towards Plasma. :rolleyes:

So all in all it's a pretty pointless exercise. I agree with the previous poster go and have a look for yourself!

ATB

Max

errr. Fine. So if I may? What advantages will I have with Plasma concerning Blu Ray and Sky HD. Same question with towards LCD. Has the so called Plasma Burn been sorted out? And I heard that 100HZ can be turned off via Plasma, any truth in that and if so what would be the reason for it?

errr. Fine. So if I may? What advantages will I have with Plasma concerning Blu Ray and Sky HD. Same question with towards LCD. Has the so called Plasma Burn been sorted out? And I heard that 100HZ can be turned off via Plasma, any truth in that and if so what would be the reason for it?

LCD is brilliant with Sky HD, I don't have Bluray so can't comment. Nor can I comment on your Plasma questions, you'll have to ask them in the Plasma Forum! ;)

See what I mean, pretty pointless all round eh? :rolleyes:

ATB

Max

Max, the fact that people have replied and stated Plasma is better blows a hole in what you say. As I said in the initial post I didn't know where to put it - there wasn't a forum for LCD and Plasma.

I thought LCD may be better so put it in here.

If any admin or mods thinks this thread is better elsewhere, more than happy for it to be moved.

Thanks everybody else for the advice though

As mentioned I am from Germany. Got you however Plasma or LCD...that is what I was getting at, thought this was the place to be, seen as they are both mentioned, helping a thicko like me to think, I would be helped here.:thumbsup: I shall now bugger off to the the other side of the street, if somebody sends us back over here I will be annoyed and go green:hiya: Cheers though.

Max, the fact that people have replied and stated Plasma is better blows a hole in what you say. As I said in the initial post I didn't know where to put it - there wasn't a forum for LCD and Plasma.

If any admin or mods thinks this thread is better elsewhere, more than happy for it to be moved.

Well I am none the wiser, and you post was fine, in fact I found the title fitting. Being a newbie I obviously don't want to step out place, but A little help would have been more thoughtful other than go there, no go there. But I appreciate every ounce I can get.

LCD is best.

The Samsung 6 series in the shop would've been very badly set up and probably displaying a poor signal like analogue TV or a DVD.

Cheers,

jah

Thing is it was smack bang next to Pan. Plasma and the Plasma had the same feed (Display) now this plasma cost 1,250€ where as the Samsung 1,650€. Thing is I am not sure about how the TV's were tuned, this could be a factor. However, the guy in the Shop slagged the Samsung something chronic. He really give it a bit by bit going over. I guess I need to take another trip down and get a few more Demos before I make my choice. As this is a LCD or Plasma Thread, thought I might get some quality feedback, Plasma burning is this still an issue with Panasonics new range? Thanks thus far.

Thread got moved then! :thumbsup:

ATB

Max

Thread got moved then! :thumbsup:

ATB

Max
glad to see you are happy Max, now I can wait for insightful answer to my problem. Mind you, with you not having a Blu-Ray bit of stalemate there then.

The room which I will be setting up shop in will painted darkish (Cappaucino Brown, just a touch darker perhaps and the side walls Creamy white) and the Plasma or LCD will be fixed to the wall (with a motorised arm, possibly) there are 2 sets of Windows to the side, which will be covered. Question begging will the LCD full Colour effect be better in such an environment or Plasma? Plasma which I find so far to be more subtle. There will be a glare from the windows I am sure, although the New LCD compensate for this I believe.

glad to see you are happy Max, now I can wait for insightful answer to my problem. Mind you, with you not having a Blu-Ray bit of stalemate there then.

The room which I will be setting up shop in will painted darkish (Cappaucino Brown, just a touch darker perhaps and the side walls Creamy white) and the Plasma or LCD will be fixed to the wall (with a motorised arm, possibly) there are 2 sets of Windows to the side, which will be covered. Question begging will the LCD full Colour effect be better in such an environment or Plasma? Plasma which I find so far to be more subtle. There will be a glare from the windows I am sure, although the New LCD compensate for this I believe.

Yes it is, I might buy into BD when it's a finished format, but for now Sky HD gives me my HD movie fix. Plus the bonus of great films in HD that haven't been released on BD.

I also don't have a Plasma TV, as most of the people in the LCD TV forum don't either. Which is why you'd be better off researching LCD & Plasma TV technology separately and then making a decision as to which type of TV will best suit your requirements. Which was my original point anyway.

Good luck with your choice. :thumbsup:

ATB

Max

Which LCD would you suggest at the moment , or upcoming? As mentioned I have a months time. To be honest I am not Hip to be square on the LCD-Plasma thingy. And my original rant was LCD. However after be disappointed with Samsungs new range, I haven't given up hope. I actually liked a model from Sharp, now don't quote me on it, but it was ultra thin, looked impressive. And Philips did have one or two eye catchers. Sony expensive plus the customer care from Sony Sucks to be quite frank (who ever Frank is) LCD works better in a lighter environment am I correct?

Which LCD would you suggest at the moment , or upcoming? As mentioned I have a months time. To be honest I am not Hip to be square on the LCD-Plasma thingy. And my original rant was LCD. However after be disappointed with Samsungs new range, I haven't given up hope. I actually liked a model from Sharp, now don't quote me on it, but it was ultra thin, looked impressive. And Philips did have one or two eye catchers. Sony expensive plus the customer care from Sony Sucks to be quite frank (who ever Frank is) LCD works better in a lighter environment am I correct?

I purchased LCD because I primarily intended to use it with an HD source. I didn't like the Sony range at the time, too much motion blur and smearing for me, but I have no idea what the current range is like. I bought initially the Toshiba 42WLT66 as it was 1080i and 1920 x 1080, this was directly compatible with Sky HD. This set developed a fault outside of the warranty period, but Toshiba customer service were more than helpful and agreed to a replacement. Because of that customer service and the fact that up until the fault I had been very satisfied with the WLT66, I had no hesitation in buying the Toshiba 42Z3030. This set is even better and I have no regrets at all.

So you have my opinion on my LCD, but it's not at all helpful to your original question because there's no comparison to Plasma TV's and I have no idea whether my TV is better than a Plasma or not. :confused:

As to your final question, I can only tell you that I don't have to draw the curtains on a sunny day to watch my TV, but I don't know if I'd have to with a Plasma either!

ATB

Max

Insightful as I had browsed a couple of Toshi. Looked fine, but I must declare never took them into consideration. However I shall do so now. 1080i you say 1080p is the upgrade version is it not? for Hdmi interconnection?:suicide: I enjoy technical advances I really do but the jargon is getting way above me at times. As for your customer service input, Thanks. Sony seem to not care less. and after reading around, they seem not to have changed one bit since. I just want to justify my buy and not be stuck with the Technology now with my buy, and hope to purchase something a little ahead of it's time 1,300€ is not peanuts, and I don't want it to be wasted. As mentioned I thought this would be quenched with Samsungs new range but after the one on one I was well let down. Cheers Fella.

Hi, I was in a store today checking out Flat Panel TV's Plasma or LCD. I went to Samsungs new (6) A Crystal range. I must say the picture was terrible;

Someone sent me this PM, after tweaking his set from stock "shop" mode to my settings.

"Ive had my LCD on your recommended settings (Movie mode) for a few days now. I switched back to Dynamic mode and to be frank, Dynamic looks practically revolting in comparison as it seems to crush a lot of fine detail in the picture. The custom settings on Movie mode make for a much better picture, more Plasma/CRT like."

Sometimes I'm happy with my LCD pictures, other times I'm not. That's probably to do with SD, high compression and low quality film.

At my place of work we have a Samsung 6 series on a Freesat demo section. I've mucked around with the picture as much as I can, putting it into Movie mode, taking down sharpness and backlight etc, but it still looks very poor to my eyes.

Insightful as I had browsed a couple of Toshi. Looked fine, but I must declare never took them into consideration. However I shall do so now. 1080i you say 1080p is the upgrade version is it not? for Hdmi interconnection?:suicide: I enjoy technical advances I really do but the jargon is getting way above me at times. As for your customer service input, Thanks. Sony seem to not care less. and after reading around, they seem not to have changed one bit since. I just want to justify my buy and not be stuck with the Technology now with my buy, and hope to purchase something a little ahead of it's time 1,300€ is not peanuts, and I don't want it to be wasted. As mentioned I thought this would be quenched with Samsungs new range but after the one on one I was well let down. Cheers Fella.

Yes my current TV is 1080p, although the only 1080p input I have at the moment is XBox 360. Regarding technology, TV's are no different to computers, in that whatever you buy will be outdated almost immediately. It's best not to get hung up about it and enjoy.

ATB

Max

Right, I am new here so apologies if I am asking the age old question that has been done to death on here. If it is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it

I am looking to buy a new large-screen TV. I don't want to wall mount it, want a nice stand. Probably looking at a 37 inch or something similar.

Should I go for LCD or Plasma?

I have heard the new Samsung full-HD range is good. However I have been told that LCD isn't as good on large screen sizes (is that a hangover from previous generation screens?)

Any way any help, gratefully received

For TV and movie viewing a quality plasma will tear strips off any LCD TV currently on the UK market. Better black levels & shadow detail, better contrasting/picture depth, better motion and more natural looking picture.

For TV and movie viewing a quality plasma will tear strips off any LCD TV currently on the UK market. Better black levels & shadow detail, better contrasting/picture depth, better motion and more natural looking picture.

:rolleyes:

That's the reason why I chose my avatar. :D
Although I do agree plasma does some things better. I disagree with black levels if you reduce backlight. As for black crush yup got that. LCD blurs, but plasma might have phosphur lag. And then screenburn, I watched a couple of TV series and it had logos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom