LCD or PLASMA?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by spiderman999, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. spiderman999

spiderman999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dear All,

Want to spend a under £1000 on a. 42" screen, and be able to play Xbox 360 on it. Would like to know advantages between LCD & Plasma please? Quite like the look of the following.....but open to ideas please:-

TOSHIBA 42C3030D 42" HD Ready Digital LCD

SAMSUNG PS42Q96HD 42" HD Ready Digital Plasma

Philips 42PF5521 42" High Definition Digital Plasma TV

Philips 42PF5421 42" High Definition LCD

Thanks

:lease:

2. nstokes

nstokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i work with tv's day in and day out giving tech support. My opion is LCD over plasma. LCD is harder to get screen burn. LCD picture is better and sharper. LCDS last longer. Plasmas have to have the gas changed every 3 or 4 yeats. Trust me LCD is loads better. Out of the tv''s you have listed i would choose the Tosh LCD.

3. scoob111

scoob111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry but that is rubbish. :nono:

Plasmas last approx 60,000 hours thats 6 hours a day for 27 years!

4. thehughes69

thehughes69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    tough one , reckon in the lower price range the plasma has the edge but to be future proofed u want 1080 p and unfortunatley u hav eto be rich to afford plasma with 1080p the new sam lem86/87lcd needs to be looked at

5. nstokes

nstokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Ok i was told wrong then, thans for correting me. But i would still choose LCD

6. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    There is no such thing as "future proofed". Before long they will be selling some "amazing 2160x" or whatever and telling you 1080p is yesterdays dog doo doo.

You cannot future proof. Its impossible - by definition.

7. Mayhs

Mayhs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    True...but you get the theology behind his idea, it is only natural

personally i suggest you take a look at the samsumg M86 and M87 series...theyre perfect for you...if there is such thing as perfection;)

8. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Jesus! :eek:

This post is a mickey take isn't it? If not, can you elaborate who the hell employed you as tech support?...... just so I know to avoid the company.

Possibly the most ill informed and clueless post I've seen in a long time, just who still believes the urban myth on plasma gas replacement these days.

9. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Oops! just reread my post above and I think I was a bit over the top. Too much red wine last night and a sore head this morning. So apologies to all concerned.

10. nstokes

nstokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    thats ok ill let you off this time, lol

11. chrissyman

chrissyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    well i have just got a bravia 32 s series and i am very pleased with it.

but i do like plasma's and was very tempted by the panny 37 px70
    but i was put off by the fragile nature of these as my neighbour bought one
    at easter and when it arrived guess what, somebody had laid it on its side
    and most of you will know the damage this causes.

he's spent the last week on the phone trying to get it replaced and been let down so far :mad: :(

this is just one tale of woe but i think they are too sensitive to damage
    so for me its lcd

12. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    spiderman if you can get to a sevenoaks hi fi then do. They usually have a wall of tvs and they will set them to the same source, let you watch sport or films (they usually have a load of sky+ sd and hd material recorded). Nothing beats being able to see plasmas and lcd side by side displaying the same source. only downside is they don't stock sony. but by doing this one saturday afternoon and then popping to a sony centre to see their tvs it made my mind up (sony 40w2000).

13. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    LCD, Sharper Resolution, picture looks better on 360 deffinatly.

14. chucky_uk

chucky_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have you looked at the Sharp Aquos LCD's?

I have just brought the 42-xd1e and am extremley happy with my purchase.

The TV can be brought online for a little over 1k.

The 360 looks lovely on it and im very happy that i went for the 42xd1e screen.

Only downer is my sky+ box has decided to give up so cant watch tv on it:mad:

15. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The answer to the question is easy.

In order to make sure you get good PQ on all sources, under 37" buy LCD, 37" and over buy plasma.

Big LCDs are crap with SD sources.

16. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Actually its not that easy. I was in John Lewis (Oxford St) yesterday looking at the Panasonic TH-37PX70. Right next to it was a same size Toshiba or Hitachi 37" LCD (cant remember the brand).

Both screen were showing the same freeview and to be honest, both my wife and I though that what we saw on that LCD was marginally better, with a slightly sharper pciture. Both were decent but that 37" LCD was actually slightly better.

Also watching football on SKy SPorts HD going into the Panasonic 32" LCD, it was a revelation. Sharp picture, fantastic black levels and no motion blur during the 15-20 mins I was there comparing various screens. If not for the fact that I want 37" screen, I would have bought that Panny right there and then.

So I think the old assumptions no longer hold - at least not automatically. It is getting harder to decide and you really have to speak of comparisons between performance of specific models these days, rather than to just make generalisations about LCD and Plasma.

17. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Unfortunately you can't necessarily tell anything by comparing TVs side by side. The staff may have just plugged one in with out-of-the-box settings and may have optimised the other quite a bit.

All HD panels look spanking with a HD feed as that's what they are designed for.

I bought my TV based on the SD performance I saw on a display model in Empire Direct. I figured that if that was the best the picture got with SD that I'd be satisfied.

If the Panny PX70 had been available at the time I probably would have bought that instead.

18. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    If you cant tell anything by looking at the TVs side by side then there would be no need for stores and we could all buy off the internet based on dodgy recommendations from anonymous people on forums.

Point is that 37" had a fantastic picture on SD. Simple as that. So there is no point pedlding old generalisations.

19. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    im thinking tech support would be for comet,currys or dixons :rotfl: i even hit the thanks button on your post as it made me laugh :thumbsup:

20. nstokes

nstokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    im not going to name the company but it is 1 of them 3

21. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If I buy Plasma it's because of this reason:
    http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/myths/production/
    since Bravia is made in Taiwan :D

The reason I bought LCD is because my lounge is so bright with wide windows and open doors. With LCD the ambient light reflection on panel surface is reduced, this is at the cost of less black level in the night/dark ambient which is not good on LCD.

But tbh I think LCD and Plasma are the same, they will coexist for long-long time, each has its pro and contra.

In the future a TV will be a total combination of Plasma and LCD,
    when the backlight of the LCD is the Plasma cells
    (similar to LED or OLED but better resolution of backlights)
    and the price of the set is less than £100 :eek:

_

22. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    i always preferred LCD. i started working in sales six months ago and everyone told me plasma was better...

i now believe them.

37" and over i would go for panasonic or pioneer if you can afford them

23. EmThor

EmThor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The problem is the resolution for me. Now the best buy panny 42px70 is only 1024x768... so I'll have problems with connecting my pc and get a working resoluion above the native... And also for ps3 everyone sais, better the lcd.
    All I want to watch movies (h264 720p movies) and some net browsing from pc + ps3. But have and will have SD tv for a couple of years...

And lcd has clouding and dead pixel problems aaaaaaaargh I just can't decide:

Panny 42PX70 VS. Samu 40R81

24. langbarb

langbarb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you cannot make a decision based on what you see in a store unless you are allowed to play with the setting or a (rare) competent member of staff guides you through the setting of the picture. The 42TX70 in JL in Oxford street looks 3/4 times worse than mine at home. I owned a 42XD1E Sharp Aquos before and I can assure you that on SD the panny wins hands down. You may want to consider LCD if you are a gamer or watch mostly HD programs. But if you buy a 1080p LCD screen to watch SD you are not making a wise choice. The picture will look worse than on a plasma and you will never enojoy the potential of the 1080p panel.

25. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Why? If you see the picture on the TV and it looks good to you - it looks good. There is no other debate to be had. You can make arguments that "plasma doesnt look good in store" bla bla, but if the LCD there has picture quality that is acceptable or good to your yes, that is all you need to know.

Its fine to have all the debates of LCD vs plasma, but the fact is that there are many LCD's today that you can go to the store see it with freeview and realise that yes, they are worth the money.

For this reason I think too many people are peddling all these generalisations. People need to see these things themselves as much as possible.

This is misleading because almost those 32" and 37" LCD's out there are......720 resolution (1366 x 768 pixels), the are not 1080p or even 1080i. So debate on 1080 is not relevant to these and these smaller screens are the bulk of LCD TV's sold.

26. EmThor

EmThor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw the panny 42px70 next to a 40F71, same 720p component source, and from even 3m I saw very minor plus details for the samu full hd.

But in a 720p movie, it was irrevelant -> same picture, better colors for the plasma.

Ok here is the deal for the next 4-5 years, as I plan:

20% SD tv watching (news, 1-2 series, 1-2 movies), no digi tv here, 'til 2012
    40% browsing and 720p/1080p movies, DVD-s from PC
    40% PS3.

8-11ft viewing range, depends on, that if my bed is open or not :p

Which one should I choose?

panasonic 42PX70 - 900£ (prices -> here in Hungary)
    samsung 40R81 - 900£
    samsung 37m87 - 1030£

THX

27. h0stile

h0stile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm in a similar position, except I will have to choose between the panny 32LX70P or the Samsung 32R81B as LCDs or the panny 37PV70P as plasma. my viewing percentages should be the same as yours, except I watch more SD during weekends (discovery science, civilisation, history, etc). If I buy the plasma I'm concerned with its performance with the PS3 (green tinges) and if I buy the lcd I'm concerned with the SD quality. the viewing distance is also similar to yours, 8-11ft.

28. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm also looking for the best 37" display and £700 is about my limit.

Being that i use my XBox 360 quite a lot - and also intend getting a PS3 at some point - Plasma screens seem a bit of a risk (screen burn) so i am seriously considering the Samsung 37" r87 - especially after reading this review...

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Samsung_le37r87bdx.htm

Looks like it excells with HD material but is also very good with SD too - which seems perfect for my needs (and is quite rare it seems).

Might order it from here...

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk

...who are doing if for a little over £700.

It looks damn sexy too imo. :)

*Edit*

Just noticed that the 40" version is only £70 more...decisions decisions !!

29. doubleup_dan

doubleup_dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

if the main thing you wil be doing is playing xbox look at this to help you watch the video of xbox on a plasma (puts me off a plasma for sure)

http://www.*/news/2007/04/20/whats-your-perfect-gaming-companion-to-ps3-xbox-360-or-nintendo-wii/

30. EmThor

EmThor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, saw this green phophor lag movie, very disappointing :( and others have confirmed this fault @ ps3's Resistance:FoM too, though they said its not what you'll be looking for, but a bit noticable :/

The problem is the pc connectivity, between the pc and the Plasma, so I won't get 100% my h264 720p movies @ a 1024 panel :(

I'm a bit afraid of clouding and pixel faults (can't check it in the store, out of the box -> we're speaking of 40" :)

Frankly, I dunno. I'll wait till July, very hard, but I want to make a good decision for the next 3-4 years or maybe more!

Oh I love watching Discovery and History Channel too ^_^

So will check the new HD Ready and Full HD samu LCDs but beware: they have very different panels, and the R series have panels not from Samsung as I've heard... :/