LCD or Plasma.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by duracell, Nov 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. duracell

duracell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Been looking at Plasmas for a while now but this morning wandered into a Sony centre whilst killing time waiting for the other half. :rolleyes:

Whilst in there I got a demo of the new 40" BRAVIA Sony LCD panel. I must confess to being pleasantly surprised. Compared to a 50" Sony plasma running the same footage right next to it, the LCD seemed "cleaner" and the whites were "whiter". Combined with the lower power consumption etc this could be a winner. I know you are limited to 40" and plasmas run to 50" at reasonable money, but if the LCD is better..........................

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Can you use a scaler with the LCD? Is there any advantage?

Thanks. Dura.

2. duracell

duracell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    duracell

I'm currently looking at the 40" bravia as well. Yes you can use a scaler with it, which is what I'm considering. I'm hopefully gonna spend an hour or two with one midweek, using my DVD player and cables.

There will be a distinct advantage to using a scaler. Firstly is that the quality of scaler and deinterlacer in a dedicated scaler like the iScan (which is what I'm considering pairing with it) is going to be far better than anything Sony can integrate. Secondly I've heard that programs like football looked better when displayed in HD and progressive than from a Sky box. An external scaler would do the deinterlacing and provide a progressive signal to the Sony, so it should be a killer combo. Not seen anybody on the forums yet who's already doing this though.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Regarding scalers, keep in mind that the Sony Bravia LCDs don't accept the native resolution over the HDMI input (only video resolutions, so 720p will be the closest match).

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yes, thanks Lyris. Shame they decided not to put a DVI on this panel, that would be a clincher for more people than me I'm sure.

EDIT - As an addendum, I'd be likely to get the scaler to work the image up to 1080p then let the set scale down to 720p. Any thoughts on this?