LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by kbj242, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Evenin' all. I'm not on the verge of entering the LCD/Plasma fray just yet - my old 36" CRT still does me proud - HOWEVER - as and when I do, can you advise me of a few issues that I have:
    1. My seating position in 9-10 feet from the TV. Which will be best at that distance - LCD or Plasma ? (I will almost certainly be looking at a 37" screen given the size of my CRT).
    2. Is there still a problem with viewing angle on the modern sets ? The angle in the living room isn't especially wide (no more than 90*) Will the picture still be sharp and colourful at the extremes ?
    3. Sound - is the sound from the built in speakers still good on these sets - my brother has a 17" LCD in his kitchen (LG brand) and the sound is very tinny.
    The sets I'm looking at are the new JVC / Philips / Toshiba.
    Thanks for the info in advance.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have a 32" that I watch at anything between 4' and 12'. I don't like a TV to dominate the room so 32" is fine for this. The only time that a 37" would have been nice is watching wide screen films at 12". If your use to 36", a 37" will give you more picture than the 1" difference would indicate due to the LCD screen being all visible but with a CRT, visible is often an inch or so less than the screen size.

Viewing at 90% (45%) or more off horizontal should not be an issue. I often watch from this angle at about 4' and it is not a problem. You can always try this in a shop before you buy.

I can't comment on sound with the brands that you mention. I have a Loewe and sound is very good but other brands don't pay so much attention on the quality of their sound. Manufacturers also have different models at different price points and sound may be quite different between different models. I did shortlist a the Philips 9986 and sound quality was very poor compared to the Loewe but that may have been due to the NXT technology.

3. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 32" Samsung, the sound quality from the set is great, I listen through sound system though. :rotfl:

This TV does have good speakers, I think it depends on the set itself. Also I think it was good value for money. Had mine 2 weeks now and very satisfied. :D