1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by stewwy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Just wondered .. as this is the lcd and plasma forum.
    Which is best at the moment? in the future?
    By best I mean which is likely to be the most future proof, best value for money, best technically

The best in budget class I can come up with at the moment is either a PW6 (around £2000 all in ) or the medion 30"LCD from dabs ( at about £1100 )

Opinions anyone?

Stewwy

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Stewwy,

You'll find those on here that will pick plasma over lcd anytime and vice versa. If you do a search for 'LCD v Plasma', you'll find it's been discussed mnay times.

Personally, I've got both and, at the moment, I'd pick plasma over LCD but the gap is closing all the time.

John

3. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer LCD. Slightly slower update rate, but I think LCD has a 'nicer' picture. Its all down to personal preference. Your best bet is to go to a shop, have a look and see which you prefer. Plasma has the advantage of much larger screens and as you get to the 30inch + Plasmas tend to be more reasonably priced. But its all a bit up in the air at the moment, who knows what the situation will be like in 12-24months time.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    People who've bought Plasma will typically tell you why it's better than LCD.

People who've bought LCD will typically tell you why it's better than Plasma.

The relative merits of the two have been done to death on this board, and they both have pro's and con's in about equal measure. Ultimately it comes down to your preference and viewing habits. You may choose one or the other simply because you prefer the "look" of one image over the other. You may choose LCD if you are likely to spend prolonged periods watching exactly the same channel with a logo on it (no phosphor burn on LCD). Etc.

Like phlix and unlike johndon, I'd choose LCD over Plasma, all other things being equal. But that's just my choice. If I were a betting man, for what's currently available, I'd bet on LCD technology overtaking and subsuming the Plasma market in due time. But there are other technologies just waiting to come to market - LED, OLED, Flat CRT and so on.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    plasma is bigger (and glass)
    Lcd is softer (screen is soft plastic)