1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd Or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dan M, May 28, 2004.

1. Dan M

Dan M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right here goes,
    Missus just gave me the go ahead to buy dream TV. Have around £2K (can go higher). I thought about getting a Sharp 30" LCD. I already have a LCD 17" monitor for my pc, i don't rate it for fast moving images, but i'm led to believe the new LCD tv's don't suffer from this. My understanding over a plasma is:

-LCD don't get really hot (i have a 2 year old who loves to touch the tv)
    -life expectancy for a LCD is much longer
    -LCD has a sharper picture

BUT - i went to see a few sets in my local comet, and found that the sharp didn't really have a good picture, whereas a plasma set i saw looked really good (Both running the same distributed video).

Question
    Which one?

PS.

Would love one with dolby digital built in (less space and wires). Have seen a samsung lcd with this but this goes back to my original question - plasma or lcd?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Dan

Both types have their merits and disadvantages. If you do a search you will find that this has been discussed many many times before. The general consensus seems to be that 32" or less go for LCD but above 32" (37", 42", 50" +) then plasma is still the preferred choice (not by everyone I must add but generally). One of the biggest deciding factors is usage type

Mainly TV/mixture - as above
    Mainly DVD watching - go plassma
    Mainly games playing - go LCD

Your search results will throw up much more detail. Happy buying and happy vieiwng. And do not forget do not buy on recommendations. Go and view.

:hiya:

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Messiah has covered it pretty much that is that.

I like the 'quality' of Plasma better then LCD. This is TOTALLY personal preference. I don't like the look of LCD for TV. DO NOT JUDGE on animated stuff. ANYTHING looks good on that.

Remember crap signal (normal tv through aerial) will result in crap output with any source.

Koing