1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or Plasma? Which LCD? Question on LCD Stands

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tony8377, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, I'm new to this forum so some patience may be needed. First question: I'm seriously considering buying an LCD or Plasma TV and want to know whats best. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find the answer. Please could someone answer this or provide a link to another thread? I have read around on the web but no one seems to draw any colnclusions just quotes the Pro and Cons of both so which is best? From what I've read it seems that LCD TVs are better; better picture brightness, lighter, longer life, better resolution, less picture blur etc etc. Ok so I think the main current disadvantages are slightly higher price and screen size but I think I can live with a 32" screen although 40" would have been nice.

So if we say LCD is what I'm going to go for which one should I choose? Saw a recent What HiFi review of 28" TVs which recommended the 28" equivalent of the Panasonic TX32LXD1 & Toshiba 32WL46P. Not really a fan of the looks of the Toshiba but it is a lot cheaper so may opt for that one. My max price is around £2500 but I could increase this if anyone thinks it's really worth it? What do you all think? Is one of these two the best 32" available for the price or do you recommend something else? Firstly I'm looking for excellent picture quality with no blur of high speed pictures but it also has to look good. Not too concerned about the sound as I will be running it through a £5k stereo system. I don't have sky just a freeview receiver (netgen). Should I have one with a freeview receiver in it? The most important thing here is I watch 99.9% of my TV through Tivo (I love this invention - can't live without it, why they didn't promote it better I don't know) so is it possible to send a signal to the Tivo from a freeview receiver in the LCD and more importantly can the Tivo change the channel of the internal freeview and can you record 1 channel whilst watching another?

OK so once you've recommended me a TV where's the best place to buy it from - pricerunner seems to come up with some very cheap prices but do you lot know of anywhere better? I need interest free credit preferably for a year unless it really is cheap then I'll pay cash. Also does anyone know anywhere that does really cheap extended warranties as this is new technology?

The final question. Which stand? I can't mount it on the wall as I rent. The whole appeal of an LCD is how thin they are and I don't want to ruin this by placing it on a bulky stand (I don't need anywhere to place the DVD or Video etc). Therefore I just want a paper thin stand that goes straight to the floor and stands about 4 feet high. Perhaps say two poles going down to the ground? Do such things exist and if so at what price and where do you buy them from? Many thanks in advance and apologies for the length!!!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
  3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That was quick but can I just say that link is for a review dated a few months ago. The link below seems to suggest a lot of these points are no longer valid and that LCDs now have a better viewing angel, contrast and brightness compared to Plasmas. I don't know which is right, your follow up thoughts please?

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Going by the above link, I'd say LCD.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Size matters! and money is an issue, have you seen the price of 37" and 42 LCD sets with 42" plasmas and very good ones for £2k so £3-4 on an LCD is harder to justify.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't afford either at that price, but one day I hope I can afford an LCD.

Anyway, the Medion 30in LCD is around a grand, which is getting there. Anything above that seems to jump loads in price.

:confused:

7. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always told my Mrs that it was quality not quantity :devil:

Still you are right about the price difference. £2k for a 42" plasma or £4-5k for a 37" LCD :eek:

Over the past year I have been looking at Plasmas (and trying to justify the price). Only now have the large LCDs being getting to a reasonable price and these are still falling. Only now have LCDs starting to overtake (at least in part) the quality of Plasma and this is continuing as far as I can tell. Although having said that, both have improved loads in quality and resolution.

The thing that swings the choice for me though is the ability to plug in my PC and LCD has always had the lead there. Now I just have to wait for the £5k LCD to come down in price a bit ;)

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    37in LCD's are under 3k, still too dear for me.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I think the reason you can't readily find a simple answer to the question, which technology is "best", is that there actually isn't a simple answer. LCD and Plasma have a rather different "look" to each other, and the judgement about which is best is wholly subjective on the part of the viewer/buyer. Every technology (including venerable CRT) has its plusses and minuses. Hence the predisposition towards pro and con -type answers, rather than a more simple "X" is better.

And, the reason why opinions in general shift from time to time is that technologies are always improving. For example, classic arguments about restricted viewing angle for LCD (or smearing for that matter) are less and less valid as the methods of production improve.

12. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    holy cow! those flat TV people aren't biased are they?

On measures where Plamsa take the lead it "has a slight edge" or "stuffs in development for LCDs"
    On measures where LCD takes the lead it's "considerablly better than Plasma" or "twice as good".
    Anything that on paper is better for a plasma is greeted with a "ah! but in the real world LCD is better, it says so in a white paper by a manufacturer's marketing department.

Plus you've got to look at what measures matter. Once my screen's attached to the wall in Watford, do I care how much it weighs, whether it's fragile and that it might buzz if I took it on holiday to the Alps?

Try reading a print out of that article whilst viewing a well setup LCD and well setup Plasma, both in your price range, with a variety of sources and see which YOU think "has the advantage" today. Better yet, do the above without the article.

13. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And Plasmatvbuyingguide is not biased ;) It says it all in the name!

The point of the flattvpeople article is that things have moved on in the past month so that the relative advantages of plasma and LCD technology is not as clear cut as it used to be.

And I don't know about you, but if they measure the brightness of each using different methods, it is not a good comparison. I would prefer a "real world" comparison which Flat Tv People (NEC) have tried to do.

Having said all that, I totaly agree that it is down to any purchaser to check out each technology for themselves.

PS I am not biased as I have yet to take the step of purchasing one of these monsters. But I am currently swayed towards LCD due to the higher resolution and usability with PC displays.

14. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, so I think the current conclusion is LCD is now very slightly better if not prohibatively expensive although i'm sure this debate will go on for a long time. Therefore what 32" LCD should I buy? Also do you need a scaler with an LCD TV in the same way they are recommended for plamas(I assume size of TV effects this)? Is there any point in having a freeview box built in when I use my Tivo Box all the time and can you buy long thin stands?

15. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    what would be an LCD alternative to a Pioneer PDP43MXE1?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the Sony 42" but its not very good or the new sharp 45" which is due soon. but you will be able to buy apio 505 for less than the 45" Sharp

17. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony,

Yes, I am being biased and yes I asked the same question as you a few weeks back and have been doing a relentless amount of research ever since. It's not easy but I eventually settled on a Philips 32PF9986, out at the end of month and is sure to turn some heads.

It's been reviewed in some mags and all looks good.

My conclusion at the end was that LCD was better, has less issues and is more reliable, but more expensive. Quality...not quantity.
    Although you do have to be a bit careful selecting LCD's as blur can be a bit of a problem. No problem with this one though.

Good luck and let us know what you settle your green on.

S

18. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That's the one I'm considering the moment: what the problem with it? it looked very good when I saw it a few months ago: did I miss something?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its based on a samsung commercial display panel it suffers the same as all other large LCD's, very sensitive to noise etc etc this one is also capable of "screen burn" None fading residual images. Oh and its a huge a mount of money!

20. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Don't you mean Philips 32PF9986, as it comes up as?

21. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw a review of the Phillips 32PF9986 yesterday and they seemed to rate it although the lack of component Video (I think that was it) was a bit of a pain (why manufuacturers insist on doing this I will never know). It would appear they have fixed a lot of the problems with Pixel Plus and the backlight (aimed at reducing eye strain) could provide a few hours of tinkering fun. I think I'm going to try and look at that and the panasonic together - I really don't like the looks of the new toshiba otherwise that would have been a serious consideration as the price is around £700 cheaper in the shops. The new Sony is supposed to be amazing but the price is just too high for a 32" TV.

22. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The post recall versions of the Phillips 32PF9986 have component via the DVI-I connector.

23. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er...yes....it's a Philips, just had the Tosh xs32 on my brain since I'm buying that too, thanks for the heads-up.

Tony...as mentioned the post recall 9986 has component via DVI cable supplied, confirmed from Philips. I guess the reviewer would ideally prefer the component input as a separate but since I'm not connecting my PC to the tv it makes no difference to me.
    Also, the stand is awesome, check it out.

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=3429

Good luck.

S

24. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  25. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    If you click on the link it will tell you

£323.99

26. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    so the alternatives are a grand more or not yet out? OK so now I'm being biased. :p
    What improvements in picture quality, connectivity choices (over a HD Panny or Pio Plasma) would be seen in say the 45" Sharp?
    Are they brighter or showing blacker blacks?

I notice that they (the large LCDs quoted) seem to have a few more pixels in each direction but not enough to get beyond 720p to 1080.

27. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It was a joke, I was in shock @ how dear they are.

:)

28. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

:oops: Sorry man I missed the point,

Nothing is cheap these days

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    about the same as a decent glass stanf rom any manufacturer! JVC Antonio berlini stand is very similar but nicer IMO

30. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been looking around a lot at the weekend and stumbled arcoss a review of the new Sharp 37" LCD (Sharp LC-37AD1E) which they seem to love

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4324

However this is a bit expensive for me and I don't actually want a tuner because everything will be watched via Tivo. But I also managed to find their new anologue tuner version for £2699 and wondered if anyone had seen any reviews of this (or if it's any different apart from the tuner box)? I especially like the four version as its speakers are detachable and on the sides - never been a fan of speakers underneath. Specs below;

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2400&c=451690&guid=&s=