lcd or plasma upto 42 inch

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gazzzza, Sep 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gazzzza

gazzzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    probably a well debated topic here,but i would just like some advice if possible please.
    looking for a new new tv between £700 and £1100 max.
    the question is do i go for lcd or plasma we are not dvd or sport mad(footy twice a week) but just watch a fair bit of general tv.
    we probably wont go over 42 inch.
    i did read some reports on slightly older models from sony and samsung but cant now find the threads as there are so many.
    i dont really want the newest and the greatest just a reliable top quality but slightly older than new model or is this a bad move.
    the problem with wanting the best is there is always another one next month and so on.
    i would just like some advice on what to go for and little bit on what the difference is between lcd and plasma.
    thanks gazzza.
    my apologies to the forum mods for double posting ie: here and plasma section with the same post just thought i might ge different responses.

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    For general SD tv you dont have to think about it!!You can get an excellent plasma tv!!For example the Panasonic 37PX70 or the 42PX70

3. TRON1

TRON1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wrong choice mate,the plasma forum will probably say plasma and the lcd forum lcd.if it was me though id say either panasonic/samsung/LG for the plasmas and sony/samsung/toshiba for the lcds.If your not much of a tv fan anyway buy a cheapie lcd or plasma under £600 theyll do decent job then take your missus on a mini break.failing that flip a coin.goodluck.

4. gazzzza

gazzzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for the quick reply.
    how do these 2 tvs compare sony kdl40w200 and the samsung m86 le40m86.
    i have read a few bits from threads on here am i looking in the right direction?

5. TRON1

TRON1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a mate of mine has the samsung and is happy with it,but the sony i couldnt comment on.id read the relevant threads and get a general feel of how people a feeling these sets,also read reviews a plenty.remember you cant please everyone,99 people can love a set but it takes only 1 to sow the seeds of doubt.

6. TheBiggestLie

TheBiggestLie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Heh. I'm stuck in exactly the same quandry :p

I'm deciding between the Samsung F86 and the Panny PZ70, seen lots of reviews for the Sammy and it looks really good (except for all the hardware issues?!) with useful tech like a USB port, but I haven't actually seen it in action. I've seen the Panny in action and it was okay, but haven't seen what the experts say and it also seems cut down feature wise :( Plus 494 watts power consumption? That's just ridiculous if true!!

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Also plasma flickers like CRT, and has screenburn. Pioneer flickering/flickering in "waves" and screnburn from news 24.

Plasma might have better picture but those two issues with plasma tech. are a big concern.

8. TheBiggestLie

TheBiggestLie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wasn't aware of the flickering issue, but thought that screenburn was almost a thing of the past? Outside of extreme usage anyhow. Have mainly been reading up on LCD's so not upto speed yet on Plasma :(

9. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Flicker is caused by PWM and it actually helps to reduce motion blur. So it’s an advantage.
    Anyway, the two biggest concerns are potential screen burn (but it’s not a problem after the break in period) and uneven pixel decay time (which leased to green/yellow trails).

10. gazzzza

gazzzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    now ive gone all confused again:eek:

11. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Have a quick readthough my guide, its all there.

12. gazzzza

gazzzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks i will have a read,im getting a bit lost already but i will get there.

13. gazzzza

gazzzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks for the links nielo,but WHOOSH thats all right out of my league.
    im not replying to sound disrespectful but i was lost pretty much straightaway.
    which really means i need the idiot version,sorry if this sounds ungrateful.
    gazzzza.

14. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318

If Plasma had "pixel on until instructed to change" would screenburn be a much wider issue, and resulting in less amount of time before it occurs?

I certainly didn't like the flickering from the Pioneer plasma- that was with 50hz, don't have much material in that, I'll try out 60hz sources instead.

15. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Modern plasmas don't hold the image for long period of time like LCDs. In fact, they now only holds the image for 4-6ms @ 50/60Hz, which is why there's a slight flicker. This actually helps to remove the previous image from the eye's retina.

Back in the day, plasmas used to have hold-time of 16ms, which caused really bad burn-ins and motion blur. But since the hold time now dropped to 4ms average, its not that bad anymore.

I am sure in few years, one of the manufacture will drop the hold-time even further to 1-2ms and increase the refresh rate to 100/120Hz. This would put the plasma right next to CRT in all department (maybe accept for dynamic range).

PS: Since I used my notebook to write this, I couldn't put everything. So If you need more info, feel free to ask.