1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or Plasma that is the question??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would appreciate some unbiased guidance, but first I have one question - are LCD screen sizes measured the same way as widescreen CRT? The reason I pose that question is that I was looking in Comet yesterday at what was advertised as a 26" Panasonic LCD screen. Next to it was a 28" Panasonic widescreen CRT model, and for all the world they looked identical in size. Comet being Comet there was not one sales assistant I could ask, nor anything handy to measure it with - tried using my hands but not very successful. Now to the main part of my post - Plasma or LCD which is the future? I have heard different viewpoints on this subject, and would like to make an informed choice. We have professional Plasma screens at work, 42" Sony beasties, however, the service engineers told me that despite their cost, they only have quite a short shelf life, whereas LCD should last for at least twenty five years. However, the downside to LCD is pixel drop out I was informed? There never seems to be a perfect solution. Having Sky, the other thing that bothers me with Plasma is screen burn from caused by "screen dogs". All advice appreciated.

:confused:

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Plasmas tend to be bigger than LCDs. but plasmas also suffer from dead pixels
    LCDs have soft screens (my pal had one delivered with the base packed against the screen & the screen had a nice base shaped imprint on it)
    Plasma screens have at least 20,000 hours till they reach 50% at 5 hrs a day thats 10 years, but no-one really knows.
    My Panasonic PWD6 has been with me 10 days, and you do need to watch it in a much darker room than a CRT. But it's great and I don't think screen burn is something to worry about unless you have the same channel Logo on for days at a time.
    LCDs have a lot of plastic, and plastic has been known to discolour over a few years, I think I prefer my glass screen. LCDs are still a bit too new an item for me.

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Faust, I asked similar questions a couple of months ago. Check out the following thread (sorry can't seem to get a link to work - it keeps redirecting to the heathrow show thread). Just search in the forum for;

LCD or Plasma? Which LCD? Question on LCD Stands

I believe screen sizes are always calculated in the same way no matter if plasma, LCD or CRT.

LCD TVs will last twice as long as a Plasma's but a plasma will still last 10-15 years of normal use so unless you are using it as a display model and have it on all the time this shouldn't be an issue. Screen burn will be an issue if you leave the same image on the TV for an extended period but when watching TV normally and provided you change channels occasionally say to remove the sky one logo or run the Plasmas screen savers this shouldn't be an issue. It was suggested a while ago that the new panasonic PW7 was going to reduce the chances of screen burn down to that of a nornal CRT TV but haven't heard anything more since then. This is on sale next week so hopefully more will be posted shortly. In the end its all about price and picture quality and at the minute I think Plasma's win hands down. You can have a much bigger plasma with better picture quality than a smaller LCD at the same price.

Tony

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    The Plasma vs. LCD debate has been done to death over and over on this board and a search will frind you a wealth of opinion but no straight answer. Because there isn't one. Which do you prefer the look of?

Screen sizes - since no-one has answered this correctly:

1: It's a diagonal measure
    2: For LCD and Plasma its the diagonal of the usable part of the panel ie picture size.
    3: For CRT its the external dimension of the tube front - not the usable area. A 28 inch CRT produces a picture about 26 inch diagonal.

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I understand that under eu law, if the size is quoted in inches then it is the size of the tube (visible or not), if it quoted in centimetres, it is visible picture size

6. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is exactly the question I have been going through. I originally started down the LCD line, but moved to plasma as for me the the smearing you got on LCD annoyed me and I couldn't find one that didn't especially on analogue aerial feeds, but even digital broadcasts I found it. It was particularly noticeable when people were talking, it would look like their lips were disolving and reforming. A lot of people don't really notice it but it bothered me. I also found shimmer on panning shots. I think it is a processor speed thing?? I must have looked at just about all LCD models until I finally decided plasma as it dealt with that better. Don't get me wrong, on LCD playing DVD through a good set up was sensational on LCD but I only watch DVDs 10% of the time.

Having said that, I saw a Panasonic 32" LCD in John Lewis yesterday and it was amazing, it didn't seem to suffer from the same problems at first glance soo perhaps technology is moving on with that.

In the end I have opted for the Hitachi just yesterday. :)

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You were probably looking at the same Panasonic as I was in Comet. They were giving it pride of place, and as you say the picture quality was breathtaking, and was getting a lot of attention from the viewing public. I think it was call Veira or something like that. Did you buy the Hitachi on price point or for some other reason?

8. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust, It was price point that tipped the scale for me. John Lewis had reduced £300 to put it £5 under £2000, so I just had to have it and it included 5 years warranty which was very important to me for safety :) - I was not prepared to go over 2k and their offer proved irresistable for me, although I wasn't expecting to buy one that day. The reasons are copied below which I put in another post..

For those interested the reasons I went for this one were it has had good reviews in the magazines, purely personally I think it looks FANTASTIC which was an important factor for me, needed a swivel stand, liked the way a separate box keeps cable clutter down, the picture quality when I saw it in John Lewis looked good - I purposely watched an analogue signal and the PQ was some of the best I had seen very important as most of my viewing will be the regular channels (still in the process of trying to justify the extravagant purchase