1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or Plasma? Samsung LE40R51 or Panasonic TH42PV500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Caliente, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Caliente

Caliente

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Am new to this and would appreciate some help.

Having looked at 1,000's of TV's in the last few months and having developed square eyes, I have more or less narrowed my field to the LCD 40 inch Samsung LE40R51 or the Panasonic TH42PV500.

Can anyone help with my decision?

Many thanks

2. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty torn also - I have yet to see the Samsung with a decent feed let alone digital or hi-def - will wait until I see it in the flesh. The only comments I have heard is that large LCds are not as good as plasmas - but I need to see them in the flesh.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If it hasn't got a Freeview tuner then it would not interest me, despite the fact I have Sky. Why should manufacturers try to get away with incorporating old technology into technology of the future?

4. tugboatbill

tugboatbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, don't know if this helps but I live in Cornwall and was in London for a few days and popped into Harrods on Tuesday to look at JVC 37" LCD TV's. The Samsung LE40R51 is on display there and looked as good as, or better than, most TV's in the store (Plasma or LCD), except for the ones costing over £7,000. Unfortunately there were no JVC's to compare it with - another that looked good for the same money was the LG RZ37LP 1D. I was previously interested in buying a Panasonic before I read about the JVC 37" but now I think my choice will be between the Samsung and the JVC.

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I would go with an LCD over a Plasma any day.

Plasma has far too many issues right now. Here is a copy & paste of what I said in another topic:

Faust, I wouldn't make my purchase based on Freeview support. Some of the best LCDs out there don't have Freeview, and it's only £25-80 for a Freeview box which will almost certainly be better than the built in tuner. (the Sony VTX-D800U is better than anything else out there right now)

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had both technologies at home...and i really preferred the lcd :)

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Freeview and PQ are a contradiction in terms. So is sky for that matter much of the time.

If I was looking for a display based on getting the best PQ - which I imagine the OP is - worrying about whether it supported freeview or not would be the last of my concerns. You can easily add it later anyway.

And these sets are HD ready - so with HD sky around the corner, and HD DVDs on the way, current freeview tuners are even more of an irrelevance.

If you are so worried about the future of technology, well current freeview tuners in the coming HD world aint it.

8. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to see the Samsung playing Sky or HD - anyone been able to do this?

What I'm interested in is the contrast especially when viewed at an angle - given the position in my living room, an LCD is unlikely to be viewed head on.

9. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just purchased the Samsung LE40R51B and will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

I will give my feedback once I have it up and running.

Cheers
    T

10. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    How much and where from?

11. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    From Spectrum in Croydon. £1,650.00 inc VAT. Ask for Ray and tell him Trevor Sent you. :clap:

LOL

Get one there awesome.
    T

12. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you fitted it - what's it like - any chance of some pics?

13. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep I have fitted it although at the moment I am trying to get my HTPC working with the TV at the mo to try out the hi-def stuff ;).

I watched the Belgium GP yesterday and I must say the picture is awesome thru Sky+ and DVD is evenbetter still. The are a few channels of Sky that show some artifacting (hope that the right word :rolleyes:) but I think that is a bandwidth issue more than anything.

I am also going to get the HD950 Samsung DVD player this week. Does anybody have anythoughts on this one? Just really want a DVD player for upscalling my normal DVDs.

As for my PC not working - I have MCE2005 installed and no PC monitor (at present), I have connected the PC to the TV via Dsub 15 pin and it works great in safemode but not when it reboots normally. Even when I select a low resolution of 800x600 to picture is blank. I alsohave a Hauppage 150MCE but cannot connect the TV to this via S-video either! help :lease:

I will post pics tonight but it will not show hidef stuff.

Cheers
    T

14. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the Sammy 26" and the 950...upscaling players are arguably not worth it as they cant add detail that was not there in the 1st place and the screens in-built scaler will enlarge the image anyway. it comes down to a matter of which scaler is better? the one in your "relativley" cheap DVD Player or in your expensive TV?

My personal opionion of the 950 is that it is a very competent player with DivX! and plays almost anything you throe at it(i have mine in my bedroom with the sammy.My Denon gives a better pic through component that the sammy does through HDMI (All high quality cables used). I have tested on both the LE26R41BDX and my JVC LT-37DS6 in the living room.

hope this helps a little.

15. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply Caimbeul. Is the Sammy better at watching normal DVDs than say my Sony 935 DVD player - which doesn't upscale?

T

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    To be honest I couldnt really coment as I have not seen the Sony in action. You could always take your sony down to the store and demo them together.

Its certainly a very good player just not quite up there with the Denon but a great player non the less. I am certainly happy with it.

17. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How is your JVC LT-37DS6 with a HDMI feed????, I've heard they show a bit of picture noise though HDMI, Is this true coz it was thinking of getting one but this problem put me off a bit!

18. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,079
    Would also like to see some pics of the 40" Samsung up and running and would like to hear how you like the picture quality as well as sound ?