lcd or plasma help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by paulpj, Mar 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. paulpj

paulpj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys been searching for a bigger screen cos i already have a phillips 37 ins plasma , want a 40 -42 ins set been looking at plasma but also seen good deals on lcd .do any of you have experience with both lcd and plasma and if so what are your views , where i am in north wales plasma is prominent in all shops so viewing lcd of any size isnt easy unless you just want to see samsung but i want to compare a few naturally , my main use is daily tv thru sky and freeview with some dvd , glad of any feedback :thumbsup:

2. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not a good question to ask on an LCD forum and not a good question on ask on the Plasma forum. Best thing is to go into a shop that sells both and make up your mind. Find a Sevenoaks Hifi if you have one near you for an independent view.

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi

My advice would be if you plan on watching a lot of Sky Plasma is the way to go imo. It's simply more forgiving with compressed offair signals, and due to the slightly lower resolution, it doesn't have to do as much processing etc etc. and looks less artificial :)

If you plan on using a lot of games though LCD maybe more attractive due to not suffering one bit from image retention or screenburn. My personal preferance still goes to Plasma, although there are some cracking LCDs out there. The one I have I think is great - looks good with Freeview and very good with DVDs. I've compared HD on both my LCD and my HD Plasma and there's not much in it at all really, if anything. More pixels doesn't necessarily mean a better picture.

Demo both technologies, it's the best thing you can do :)

4. paulpj

paulpj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the point in having a forum if you cannot ask the question you want to ask , thankfully the other user has experience with both and kindly gave me a reply. as i said if my original message was read i do not have access to a large range of lcd screens CHAVYBOY!

5. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Paulpj

I think what chavvyboy meant was this:

You can certainly ask the question - LCD or Plasma. However, experience shows that the answer you get depends on which forum you ask it on. Ask on the Plasma forum, and they'll tell you that plasma is the brightest, shiniest and biggest. Ask here in the LCD forum, and they'll tell you that LCD wipes the floor with all comers, will last longer and the way of the future. If you go over to the Rear Projection forum, they will tell you that their sort of technology produces wonderful results, on huge screens and much more cheaply.

So, by deciding which forum to post the question in, you have decided yourself which answer your are going to get! True, but not very helpful!

However, even a person who has chosen LCD for themselves can give some useful advice - but it's not just a "Don't worry about it, <plasma/lcd> is the best TV."

Personal opinion? LCD is the future, but still seems to have problems if you want to watch football a lot (motion blur). I'm no sports fan, and am half-sold on rear projection - take a look in a local Comet/Currys etc (if you have one) and see what you think. LotR looks great, I think - but I don't go for the shiny plasma look. And now that everyone uses those wretched station-ident logos in the corner of the screen, plasma screen burn-in is going to be a real problem.

And it all seems to be complicated by the coming of HD. I understand that ordinary Sky is - as Stuart says - better on plasma. In the longer run, however, we'll all go over to HD and then you won't want to be stuck with a telly you bought because it does today's ordinary stuff a bit better.

Try browsing this forum and the plasma one for a while and get an idea of the issues. You will also end up bug-eyed and so confused that (like more than one person on these forums) you'll end up with the cheapest option of them all. Getting nothing new, either because you can't make up your mind, or because something really wonderful will be out in "just a few weeks/ months".

Good luck

db

6. borland

borland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sony stopped making Plasma this year. They give some interesting justification why in the What wide-screen TV magazine (look for the interview with the creator of Bravia series). A very interesting view but again – some people are quite happy with the plasma and would not swap it for anything else. The main points from the article –
    1. LCD TV have much better “colour space”
    2. High black level of plasma is appreciated only in relatively dark room so if you watch it in a day light – LCD is better
    3. Zillions of colours of Plasma screens are useless as human eyes can’t see the difference anyway
    4. lifetime, etc

Again this is what creator of Sony Bravia says and does not reflect my personal opinion. I have LCD and I am quiet happy.

7. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think Sony stopped making plasma longer than a year ago. The 50" model was actually sold in the states at least 2yrs ago. We just got the older models! The 42" a12u seemed to be out for only a few months. Odd. Anyway, they have new LCD's coming out, with 7th gen panels. Lets hope they do the business!

8. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Easy tiger :nono:

My advice was to go and demo them yourselves as you will get a bias answer one way or another on either forum if you ask that question. :rolleyes:

And thanks to Deeplyblue :smashin:

9. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    But in short it was pretty much because Sony never quite made a decent Plasma ;)

Paul, I think chavyboy was just being helpful - I myself recommended a demo of both. There are some differences to how the overall picture looks on Plasma and LCD and you need to see it for yourself before you buy, although going armed with knowledge from here is vital as well ;)