Question LCD or OLED / KS9000 vs EC9300 (not all is contrast ratio)

mga2009

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am buying a new 55" TV and I have the alternative to buy an OLED or an LED LCD. I live in South America, so not all models are available here...

My search, budget and available models come to these 2:

1-. Samsung KS9000 (EDGE LIT LCD)
2-. LG EC9300 (OLED)

I do know about the advantages on the contrast ratio of the OLED, and the perfect blacks they produce, but i am worried about some stuff:

-. The LG is a second generation oled, so I am quite conserned about the durability of the TV, and how it will perform in around 3-4 years. Do you have any feedback on this?
-. At my distance I think the "screen door" effect would be noticeable, what do you think?
-. Also, the distance suggest 4K will definetly be appreciable in comparisson to Full HD.

Some considerations:
-. My viewing distance is around 1.80mts
-. Room is quite dark.
-. Watch postition is dead centered so i don't care about viewing angles.
-. TV will be used mostly for movies thru an HTPC
-. Price between the 2 is almost the same, KS9000 is a little bit lower.
-. My last TV was a KDL-50W655b and I was quite happy with it.

Hope you can help me choose.

Indeed contrast is not everything. Once you get past a certain figure, movies and dark dramas and thing's will look plenty good enough and have enough impact. For most people.

thanks for your reply.

from what i read, its clear the ks9000 is a really good tv, and i will probably will be more than fine for me, but i dont what to regret not getting an oled IF the problems i posted are solveable.

Yes it's one of the top LED tv's. I think OLED is getting better. The 2016 tv's have improved. But imo they will be at their peak 2017/18. Also hopefully prices will drop by then to. A lot of people are not willing to throw down £3000 on a top OLED 2016 tv, even if they can afford to. That's how much the LG E6 is in the UK. It just seems to much for a tv! Personally i'm hoping the prices will fall to around £1700/1800 in the next couple of years.

Also have you checked out your version of us Avsforums. :D And look at Rtings website. Good tv reviews on that site, it's an American site.

I would say you need to search for a store and see them
Also read what others who have those TVs say about them on the forums: OLED

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I went to the store several times... and the conditions they have are less than acceptable...In regards of black and contrast, store are very illuminated, so it's difficult to appreciate the differences... and the content shown in OLED it seems to be low quality whereas the Samsung is spectacular, so side by side the KS9000 seems much better.

I would steer clear of the LG Oled, they have spectacular black level and for certain images such as dark skies, or night type images they look amazing,,, I had one for a short time before doing a u turn on O Led, I happen to have seen one that was used as a demo for 3 - 4 months, with mainly fixed images, when you viewed a full white screen you could read the image that had been there ! Not good when your paying such a premium for oled,

I would steer clear of the LG Oled, they have spectacular black level and for certain images such as dark skies, or night type images they look amazing,,, I had one for a short time before doing a u turn on O Led, I happen to have seen one that was used as a demo for 3 - 4 months, with mainly fixed images, when you viewed a full white screen you could read the image that had been there ! Not good when your paying such a premium for oled,

Yes, OLED and affected by "image retention" and potentially "image burn-out", but from what I've read that should not be a problem in normal use... I am more concerned on the the brightness of OLED tv after a few years of normal usage...

EC9300 have a peak of 95 cd/m2 Sustained on a full white screen... that's not very much... even loosing a little % after a few years will mean a super dim image...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom