Question LCD or OLED for me?

Hungryforhd

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade to a 55" hdr capable TV from my current 1080p TV. I'm not sure which technology would be better for me, especially considering that my viewing habits are inconsistent. I can binge movies, TV shows and play games for a few hours per day one week and hardly watch or play anything during another week.

I view content during the day, at night with the lights on and off. Of course, I'm aware that oled is superior when viewing in the dark which is probably the main reason I'd consider it over an LCD. Either way I'd really like to experience 4k hdr content. Unfortunately, both types of technology are expensive options for me, so I'd have to do buy now pay later (without finance).

Based on my needs, what's the better option? What's the max I should expect to pay during the upcoming sales when prices will be reduced? And which companies will give me a 5/6 year warranty with bnpl for 12 months without charging interest?

Thanks.

I am looking at the LG CX 55 inch the XH900 or 95 65 inch from what I read through it seems oled tvs don't last long it puts me off and think the other Sony leds would last more years.
I want a tv to keep more than 5 years.
still have the 55 inch Sony listed in my sig.
but I also read the CX and the A8 are more reliable this time and the C9.

Have you considered getting a refurb?

If another XG9505 pops up on there for about £750 you aren't going to beat that for value for money for some time.

I can't really help with the financing part, but if you do instead decide on buying a new 2020 model you'd best wait to buy until Black Friday or later since prices are quite high right now.

Entry level models you can buy that are 'proper' HDR are TVs like the Samsung Q80T, but you may find the Sony XH9005 good enough with no expectations. To get the most striking HDR you're looking at either an OLED, or an LCD TV like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.

If its simply HDR performance for as little money as possible, consider the Hisense U8Q, it has its fair share of problems, but its the only TV that has HDR picture quality that is good at a small price.

As far as warranty goes:
TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd have the longest, a 7 year.
Richer Sounds next with 6 year if you join their VIP club.
John lewis/costco also offer 5 years.

I don't mind a good quality refurb that comes with several years warranty. Would you say that refurbs are only safe with LCD TVs?

Honestly, I just want something that's going to blow me away with the hdr experience. So I'm willing to be relatively flexible with the budget when the new models are cheaper, or if there's a good refurb. Would you say that there's a huge difference between a good LCD and oled in the dark?

Also, what do you mean about considering the hisense if it's simply about hdr? Are there are things which I need to take into account?

I don't mind a good quality refurb that comes with several years warranty. Would you say that refurbs are only safe with LCD TVs?
No, I think both are just as safe. You can pay extra for an additional warranty with one of the Sony refurbs, but I don't think they do financing. I just thought it may be a way for you to afford a capable HDR TV without going into debt. Sony's 2019 models that may appear there at a good price that are capable with HDR would be the Sony XG9505 LCD TV or the A8G/A9G OLEDs. Most 2020 stock isn't good value, those can be spotted since they either miss the G in their model name or include a H, for example the Sony A8 is a 2020 model, whilst the A8G is 2019.
Honestly, I just want something that's going to blow me away with the hdr experience. So I'm willing to be relatively flexible with the budget when the new models are cheaper, or if there's a good refurb. Would you say that there's a huge difference between a good LCD and oled in the dark?
Top tier HDR LCD TVs or OLEDs are capable of blowing you away, an LCD TV is more likely to be suited if you want to use HDR a lot during the day, whilst an OLED, at night.
Also, what do you mean about considering the hisense if it's simply about hdr? Are there are things which I need to take into account?
Take a read here: Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments the TV is remarkable value for the price, but there are problems currently if you intend on using the TVs built in tuner, or if you are sensitive to motion judder. Every TV has its issues, but I'd be more concerned with the Hisense if I was using the internal tuner/smart TV rather than external sources.

No, I think both are just as safe. You can pay extra for an additional warranty with one of the Sony refurbs, but I don't think they do financing. I just thought it may be a way for you to afford a capable HDR TV without going into debt. Sony's 2019 models that may appear there at a good price that are capable with HDR would be the Sony XG9505 LCD TV or the A8G/A9G OLEDs. Most 2020 stock isn't good value, those can be spotted since they either miss the G in their model name or include a H, for example the Sony A8 is a 2020 model, whilst the A8G is 2019.

Top tier HDR LCD TVs or OLEDs are capable of blowing you away, an LCD TV is more likely to be suited if you want to use HDR a lot during the day, whilst an OLED, at night.

Take a read here: Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments the TV is remarkable value for the price, but there are problems currently if you intend on using the TVs built in tuner, or if you are sensitive to motion judder. Every TV has its issues, but I'd be more concerned with the Hisense if I was using the internal tuner/smart TV rather than external sources.

I definitely view most of my content during the day as I prefer the room to be relatively bright. I've only found myself closing the curtains or turning the lights off when there's too much reflection that it negatively affects viewing. On top of that, I've read about blooming problems with LCD TVs if viewed during the dark. I'd like the option of viewing in the dark at night, but yeah it won't be the main way I watch content.

Is there a way to test if I'm sensitive to motion judder?

Is there a way to test if I'm sensitive to motion judder?
Not really.

Since you like viewing the TV when its not dark you'll get the most out of an LCD TV compared to an OLED. If you can't find 2019 stock target the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T. Prices on those are high right now, but if you buy black friday or at an xmas sale the prices should drop.

I don't know if my ips panel TV is a good way to measure sensitivity, but I've noticed problems with how the ball looks in a football match, especially with a lower quality stream. I don't know if it's just the source material or the TV too as I don't experience issues with motion in games, movies or when watching combat sports.

The low quality streams are often really low frame rate and aren't really a good test for the TV. There's not much the best TV in the world can do to polish those and make them look better.

If you watch a lot of football as streams in official apps, or on TV/external tuners like Sky or Virgin then you will better going with a Sony TV.

The low quality streams are often really low frame rate and aren't really a good test for the TV. There's not much the best TV in the world can do to polish those and make them look better.

If you watch a lot of football as streams in official apps, or on TV/external tuners like Sky or Virgin then you will better going with a Sony TV.

I don't watch football, but football has been watched on my TV by others. It's a Sony model. I just tried a 1080p match of the day video from YouTube with my TV in sports mode. I still don't like the motion, even with the high quality source. But I don't get that problem with movies or combat sports.

I just saw the video you shared. The problem with the motion is definitely noticeable in the scene with the ship in the clouds. Is that a permanent problem with the TV, or can it be fixed through a software update?

I don't watch football, but football has been watched on my TV by others. It's a Sony model. I just tried a 1080p match of the day video from YouTube with my TV in sports mode. I still don't like the motion, even with the high quality source. But I don't get that problem with movies or combat sports.
Not sure if Youtube do something to change the frame rate or not, but its probably not a good idea using Youtube to test motion either. Sports mode is a gimmick, always use movie mode, not sport.
I just saw the video you shared. The problem with the motion is definitely noticeable in the scene with the ship in the clouds. Is that a permanent problem with the TV, or can it be fixed through a software update?
I'd assume any problem like this will never be fixed, because its always safe to assume the worse. However there are reports of it being fixed in an update. The TV seems to have motion issues at specific times. If you buy the TV be sure to buy it from a reputable retailer so if you have a problem you can return it without any quibble - that's true for any TV though, since no TV is free of problems and no TV is perfect.

Not sure if Youtube do something to change the frame rate or not, but its probably not a good idea using Youtube to test motion either. Sports mode is a gimmick, always use movie mode, not sport.

I'd assume any problem like this will never be fixed, because its always safe to assume the worse. However there are reports of it being fixed in an update. The TV seems to have motion issues at specific times. If you buy the TV be sure to buy it from a reputable retailer so if you have a problem you can return it without any quibble - that's true for any TV though, since no TV is free of problems and no TV is perfect.

What makes sports mode a gimmick if other modes such as cinema or gaming genuinely make a difference to their content?

Btw, do you think that hdr on phones are a relatively good indication of what to expect for actual hdr? I was playing 4k hdr content on my phone and TV simultaneously and I find that my phone is more colourful and detailed. I'm using a p20 pro.

What makes sports mode a gimmick if other modes such as cinema or gaming genuinely make a difference to their content?
It just changes the picture mode to be more vivid and inaccurate.
With HDR, your display needs to have high contrast and a wide colour gamut. The display on your phone will be similar to a OLED today with HDR. LCD TVs by comparison need high peak brightness to create more contrast.

It just changes the picture mode to be more vivid and inaccurate.
With HDR, your display needs to have high contrast and a wide colour gamut. The display on your phone will be similar to a OLED today with HDR. LCD TVs by comparison need high peak brightness to create more contrast.

I see. So would a phone like the OnePlus 8 pro give a more accurate expectation of oled hdr on a much bigger screen?

I see. So would a phone like the OnePlus 8 pro give a more accurate expectation of oled hdr on a much bigger screen?
If you are using a phone that has HDR compatibility yes. No clue if the phones you've tested, or mention do.

You should also consider reviews, because not every display is similar. Generally an OLED TV can push around 700 nits peak brightness. If a phone is HDR compatible and can do that too, then yes, it will be similar but a bigger screen.

Makes sense. I spoke to centres direct and they said they'd allow returns for refurbs at no extra cost. Bnpl is also an option. Guess I'll try the xg9505 when it's back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom