LCD or LED..??

smokinbarrels

Standard Member
I'm thinking of upgrading my main TV (currently Samsung LE40M87BD LCD), but not sure what to go for. Have been and still am very happy with this TV (it will be relocated to another room)...just want to go bigger!!

I've always liked the design of the Sammy's, very aesthetic, as well IMHO a good picture.

LED's are obviously the latest technology, and are quite appealing. Have been looking at the Samsung UE46B7020 and LG 47SL9000 LED TV's online, but not yet seen either 'in the flesh'. Is the Sam worth the extra money..??

Or should I stick with LCD..??

Main uses are Sky HD/SD, PS3 & Blu Ray (oh and the kids Wii) in a quite bright room.

Budget is certainly no more than £1500..!!

Can anyone give any pointers..?? Thank yer..!!

Last edited:

mike7

Distinguished Member
Please read the first 'sticky' at the head of these threads (LED televisions - information about this fantastic, radically new technology)
The LED technology is not quite what it seems as it is just another way of illuminating a LCD screen.

They can give the appearance of a brighter picture. They fall into two catagories, edge lit and total backlit (which are the expensive ones). The jury is still out on what advantage they offer in picture quality. However they do offer slimmer screens. The downside on that is that sound suffers because of the smaller speakers. They do offer the advantage of consuming less power.

Last edited:

smokinbarrels

Standard Member
Thanks, I read through the entire thread (my eyes ache now...lol).

So now I know more about the LED side / back lit technology and that in general there is no vast difference in picture quality over standard LCD.

So........for use with Sky HD TV & PS3 Blu Ray and obviously SD terrestrial in a fairly bright room, between 46" and 50" and with a budget of not more than £1500 (preferably a little less) what should I be considering..??

Many thanks.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
the Sony KDL-46X4500.The LED backlight is direct type with local dimming and also is RGB instead of white.the best lcd still!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
white,but still even for little it isnt up to X4500

smokinbarrels

Standard Member
I'm struggling to find the Sony KDL-46X4500 within my budget limit of £1500, any ideas where I might find it at that price or less..??

I'm not limiting myself to LED LCD technology, I'm only considering it as its the latest technology.

If a 46" - 50" size 'standard' LCD would give me an allround better or equal package i.e. sound and picture, for similar or preferably less money, then I would definitely consider that too.

I really would like to have 3 or 4 models to look at, so any pointers welcome...:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom