1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or LCD+Scaler with £3-4k Budget

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nabs, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok I have a budget of £3-4 k,

Was thinking of a loewe spheros 32" or a 37" Xelos LCD.

I was wondering if instead it would be better to get a cheaper LCD add in a scaler for picture quality. If so what would people suggest.

By the way DVD player not amazing at present but waiting for Bluray or which ever wins the format wars - pioneer 656

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A year ago, Loewe assured me in an email that the Spheros/Xelos A series would accept 1366x768. The advantage of this is that the scaler would do the scaling to full native resolution. However, this is as yet unproven although I believe that someone has achieved this from a PC over the VGA input. I havel also verbally been told that 1366x768 was at both 50Hz and 60Hz.

The Spheros is a stonking display. It may be almost a year old but if you like a cinematic feel, it is second to none. The Xelos SL is electronically identical, but the Spheros has better optics.

However, there is a shadow regarding compatibility when used with HDMI and high end sources. Loewe are looking into this and until it is resolved, it will be hit and miss when using HDCP with equipment containing Silicon Image chipsets.

I have the 32" Xelos SL. My recommendation would be the 32" Spheros over the 37" Xelos.

My DVD player scales external sources too but only to 720p/1080i/1024x768p. Even when scaling to 720p and letting the Xelos scale to the final 768p, it is better than SD being scaled in the Xelos. I have yet to see a better picture on *any* display and a Spheros can only be better.

For your £4k, you may get both 32" Spheros and scaler if Empire Direct website is to be believed.

Alternative would be Spheros and no scaler but an upscaling DVD player and normal TV unscaled and when HD-DVD/blu-ray/Sky HD comes along, the scaler would be of less importance.

To me, a cheap LCD and a decent scaler would be sacrilidge.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    New Individual model coming in late Sept/early Oct - price unknown. 32 and 26 initially, 37, no doubt, early next year at some point.
    Sits betweeen the Xelos and Spheros - might be best to hang off until then before which gets your savings spent on it.
    I agree with what Ian has said - get the best disaply now, then add a scaler into the mix (if needed) later on. A scaler will still be useful to have in 2 years time, as SD will still be broadcast. There will be more HD by then as well, but not enough to make the scaler wholly redundant.

4. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The spheros seems to be the way to go then, maybe though it would be better to wait a little longer and see if the HDCP is sorted out.

Possibly then with a scaler - if the scaling is good in the loewe will a separate scaler be any better. I prob would go with the digital tv module to add to the spheros but then being a module would this not simply bypass the scaler or do you visualise the scaler between the separate box and the screen?

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Isn't the DTV a plug-in daughter board? If so, then I'd imagine it's output is routed through the scaler circuitry.
    Don't see why it shouldn't, if it's been designed to be the best at what it does rather than reserved only for DVDs to benefit from.