1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Or DLP

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RyanK, Sep 20, 2005.

1. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have had my mind made up to go for LCD TV for some time but after seeing a DLP TV running a HD demo and seeing some picures of DLP i am thinking about going for DLP.

Which is better??? :lease: :suicide:

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    LCD by a mile. DLP has some serious issues with fast movement, and gets rather grainy in dark areas.

The "rainbow effect" isn't just fast movement though; you'll see it if you turn your head etc too. Here's a video trying to show it off: Rainbow Video.

The circle is completely stationary, but look at what happens to the edges as the camera is moved around - they split up into individual r/g/b sections, leaving a "rainbow" trail.

Some people apparently can't see them, but I can, and it's awful. They also have issues with "lag" - the picture is processed a few ms behind the audio on many sets and causes lip-sync issues. (and makes them useless for gaming)

3. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just the viewing angle issue put me off. I noticed in the showerooms that unless you were directly in front and at the right hight then it was not worth looking at. Agreed its a great pic but in the lounge when moving about or even reclining on the sofa instead of sitting would affect the pic.
    I went LCD and have not regretted it.

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I've owned both and the only thing that eventually put me off DLP was I found that I was susceptible to the so-called rainbow effect. I didn't, however, have any problems with grainy dark images or image lag and lip-synch was perfect, mind you I wasn't using an amp to output sound. The viewing angle isn't really a problem as in my experience it only effects the vertical height, viwing along the horizontal plane is no better or worse than LCD.

So if you don't have a problem with rainbows, test before you buy or get a good returns policy, I would say that you can't get a better 45"+ TV than a DLP rear-pro.

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm not quite sure why, but that video is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, back on topic, can you really compare the two? LCDs perform best in the 32" category, DLPs are pretty much all 45"+. Surely that's like saying, "I'm torn between a Ford Fiesta and a Toyota Land Cruiser. Which is better?"

You can't really compare because they're very different products, so you can't say which is 'better'. Decide on the screen size you want, then go for the technology that best suits it.

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Also just to clarify, the rainbow effect isn't really an issue with fast moveing images as such, it's more to do with how the eye and brain processes the DLP colour image. Some people can process the images faster and thus overcome the "trickery" single chip DLP TVs use to produce a colour image via the use of a spinning colour wheel.

7. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Matt_P pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding LCD vs DLP. If you want a display greater than 40", then DLP is the way to go (although the plasma boys may say otherwise :D ).

I played about with the Sammy SP50L7HX DLP this morning. A most impressive display. It's just so huge though. Mindyou, the wife likes it that way :D :D

8. davidac

davidac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you want a DLP for everday use I suggest you check how long the bulb is expected to last and the cost of a replacement, they work out very expensive for frequent use.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Most manufacturers are quoting 8,000, 10,000 hours and above for their latest sets, that's at least 3-5 years before you can think about having to change bulbs so It's not that expensive. There's a lot of myths and unfounded rumours floating about regarding DLP TVs, a good look in the DLP forum should sort out the fact from fiction.

10. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The viewing angle put me off DLP! LCD all the way! :thumbsup:

11. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    sadly DLP has a few too many worries for me. Bloody great picture though.

will have to go with LCD. no if only i could decide which one

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dlp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!