1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or DLP projector dilemma???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kirky-UK, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Kirky-UK

Kirky-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to decide which projector technology to best go with - LCD or DLP???. Taking into account budget/value for money and specs, I have short listed the models down to either a Sony Cineza VPL-HS3 or Sanyo PLV-Z2. I did look closely at the Sony VPL-VW12HT but felt £3000+ on a LCD could be a little high in comparison with a DLP model, despite being top of the range quality. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to demo the two types of projectors yet.....therefore I'm still caught in that cross road stage of which path I should follow. With regards to cost, if the best matched DLP projector against either of the other LCD's is around £2,500 - £3,000, is this price difference justifiable or would it be really down to personal choice?.

My primary playback material would be movie & music dvd's and although the earlier LCD's were plagued with greyish blacks (a pet hate of mine especially), I am led to believe that this problematic area has been addressed correctly on more recent models.

Many thanks in advance for your comments..,

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    A DLP pj like the HT1000 will be streets ahead of the two you mention in term of image quality (and especially black levels). However, you need to ensure you will not suffer from DLP side effects such as rainbows, eye strain, headaches or nausea.

If you do not then there should be no contest and no hesitation. Go demo these for yourself and you will see what I mean about the quality and potential side effects (or hopefully not the se).

HTH

3. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Infocus 5700 is smack bang in your price range. DLP with a 5 speed, 6 segment colour wheel for virtually no rainbows (apparently).

I haven't seen it, but reviews and comments seem very favourable.

Projector central review here.

HTH,
    Joel

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Kirky-UK

The only way you are ever going to decide between LCD & DLP is if you decide for yourself. I'm personnally firmly in the DLP camp, but know that many more are happy with the LCD units. To be honest I don't really think any of the high volume selling unit are bad, just different. Try and find a good dealer to demo both types and you'll probably get a good unit. Chances are you decision will be made up more by factors such as room restrictions, and connectivity.

Paul

5. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, Infocus 5700 is right there at you right price.

Rainbows non-existant, and I could see loads with "cheaper" DLP's.

Would be my choice if the Mrs had not seen Monsters Inc on a Plasma screen ...

6. davyb

davyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kirky, I was wondering did you get anywhere with your choice between the Sanyo plv-z2 or the sony vpl-hs3 as these are the two that i have narrowed down in my search for a new pj? Maybe you could help?

Davy.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    when i compared a Z1 to a H56 i decided that the H56 was not worth £2k more than a Z1 it was better but not £2k better so you realy need to demo

8. Kirky-UK

Kirky-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After checking out various web-sites and contacts, I received notification that the U.K division of Infocus has now ceased production on the screenplay 5700 model. Not sure how true this is considering the popularity of this projector???. I did manage to locate it on an American web-site - (digitaldtv.com ) priced at $4,099.00 (plus CA sales tax), however they are currently awaiting new supply to arrive and only ship to the state of California!.

As for the Sanyo PLV-Z2 model, very little to go on except that merchandise is expected to be available from around mid - late October. No price available in U.K at present. The U.S retail price is $2,995, however a couple of suppliers that I spoke with would both be selling it at a more modest $1,995!.

The Sony VPL-HS3 projector is also due for release approx mid - late October, however the specs are not quite as high profile against the Sanyo model. Dabs.com being one site that has it currently advertised at £1,159.99.

:)

9. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'd be very surprised if INFocus have discontinued the 5700, it's only just started shipping , and I met the IF rep, who said they'd just received 60 units approx 2 weeks ago.
    I bought one of these, and IMHO it blows away LCD. I previously had a Panasonic PTAE 100, and the difference is phenomenal.
    Sim2 Domino also looks great. Either look better to me than Optoma H56 or earlier Sims.

Good LUCK

Peter

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    As already advised - the 'rainbow' issue with DLP projectors has a HUGE negative impact on those who can see it. In worst cases it is actually nauseating.

You need to make this choice by first demoing, in a well equipped demo room (ie properly dark - large screen) DLP devices. And ensure that you take with you, your partner (or anyone else who will be sharing your cinema with you). And spend at least 30 minutes continuous watching.

Bear in mind that more recent DLPs use faster refresh rates to minimise the visibility of rainbows - so they aren't all equal. However, my eyes are so 'fast' that I have yet to see a DLP that I can remain comfortable with.

If you find that the rainbow effect is not visible TO YOU, then you can begin to choose which model. If, on the other hand, you have a bad experience (as I undoubtedly would) you can narrow your shortlist down to LCD only.

There isn't a power on this earth that can convey the effect the sequential colour scheme of a single chip DLP has on some people - to other people who don't detect it. And those other people will, quite rightly, recommend the product with which they are happy - and won't understand what the problem is.

You MUST see for yourself. Only you can establish whether it will be a problem for you.