1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or CRT???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Floyd2000, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Floyd2000

Floyd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I will be purchasing my first Widescreen TV in the next couple of months and cannot decide which to go for :confused: . I had been set on the Loewe Vitros 32" but now the prices of LCDs have come down, I am having secong thoughts. I have seen on these forums that Toshiba are releasing the 32WL48 Stasia later this month and this seems a very attracive alternative to the Loewe. I watch some football but mainly films. Could anybody give me their views as to which TV to go for?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    So difficult to answer this question (rather like LCD or Plasma). You really have to judge for yourself.

A good LCD will offer perfect geometry and stability, no convergence errors, and will be completely flicker free. Newer models will have a pixel "speed" more than adequate for any TV material, and will have good viewing angle and adequate contrast. They use less power than CRTs and don't suffer screen burn. Some exhibit a latent image retention problem but where it occurs, it's always slight and passing - not permanent. They are wholly immune from the effects of magnetic fields.

However, Loewe are one of the few manufacturers who make CRTs up to a standard where many of the typical problems of CRT are few, rare, or totally absent. A good CRT will have good (but probably not perfect) geometry and stability, a good viewing angle and more than enough contrast. They all by their nature are liable to screen burn (but really this is only an issue if they are woefully abused - the same channel with a bright logo and the set on full contrast for a very very long time). They are all also quite susceptible to magentic interference causing colour impurity - the larger the screen the greater the likelihood - from nearby unshielded speakers and/or central heating radiators and even the effects of the Earth's magnetic field.

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should get an LCD. I have a 21.3" Samsung LCD monitor, and watch most of my movies on it. The response time of 25ms, is considered slow today, yet you can only see ghosting if you really look for it whilst playing a fast game. I've never been able to see it in a movie, even though I've tried to.

The new Toshibas will be much faster, so image lag won't be a problem. Neither will screen burn, geometry, stability, etc.