1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Only For PC Use (MCE box) - Samsung/Toshiba/LG/?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Matthoulb, Aug 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Matthoulb

Matthoulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an MCE PC that i required an LCD TV for. Ideally the TV would work with the PC via DVI, but if the VGA is very good then that will be acceptable, and if the TV can accept it via HDMI that would be ok too :)

I'd like a TV that won't cause problems and be complicated to setup! and that will run with the PC at the correct resolution for the panel.

Xbox360 support would be good too :)

My current list is as follows, and in order of my conclusions so far:
    1. Samsung LE26R41BX (or BDX)
    2. LG 26LX2R
    3. Toshiba 27WL56

Samsung is top because i think the picture outperforms the others (from what i've seen, though i could be wrong!), it also looks good and is well priced. However, i hear there are problems with these, but i'm unsure as to whether this would affect me as i'll only use the PC with it.

LG is second as the picture is good, and the connections it offers are superior to the Samsung, BUT it doesn't look as good (side speakers) and has no freeview tuner (this doesn't really matter, but it's nice to have). It is also quite a bit more expensive, and i'm unsure as to whether this is justified.

Toshiba is 3rd as i don't think the picture is as good as the others, and it has no freeview tuner... that's about where my knowledge of the screen runs out!

Does anyone have any advice for me? or suggestions of what to look for? or is my list correct? and should i just go for the Samsung if i can find one?

A lot of questions from someone who is confused and slightly concered by the seemingly complex art of connecting a computer to an LCD TV and getting it to work well :D

2. DU02

DU02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 32" version of the Samsung and I'd be wary, its being a right pain in the arse about recognising a PC signal, haven't got it to work yet, even tried 2 different PCs etc etc there is another thread on it, so it seems i'm not the only one!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234261
    It does accept DVi via the HDMI input

3. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only advice I can offer is that if the set doesn't support VGA, make sure it does DVI-I so that it's analogue (VGA) compatible.

I personally use the LG, have my PC connected and use it all the time to watch WMV HD material, works lovely.

4. Matthoulb

Matthoulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which connection are you using on the LG? and do you have any photos ;)

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use DVI, but I tried the DVI-VGA cable that came with my TV to hook up my PC and it looked exactly the same from what I could see.

I'll see what I can do about pics.

6. Matthoulb

Matthoulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it run at the correct resolution? 1366 x 768 and not 1360 x 768?

Sorry about all the questions, but i want to get this right, and am getting quite confused by it all!

7. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah it seems to be 1360x768, 1280x768, 1280x720, 1152x648, and lower.

Thats said, I've not noticed it was only 1360x768 until now, I don't see the missing lines.