1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD novice and technophobe

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by steigy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. steigy

steigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    help
    Have only just joined the forum but have been reading the threads avidly as was keen to get on the lcd bandwagon. Took the plunge this morning and bought a Sharp 32ga4e. I know these are rare at present but found the last one on the island i live in, jersey.

I have set it up ok and followed settings guidelines in previous threads and am reasonably happy with the picture altough i still think modifications will be made.

I use a Pace digibox connected to input one only at present altough i have ordered a denon 1910 to make use of the dvi input which should be down next week.

My questions are sipmle and potentially stupid so apologies in advance.

1) My digibox is connected via scart cable. if i set settings on digibox to rgb and on the sharp i get sound but the screen goes blank. i am assuming it is because the scart cable is not rgb only. If i am correct i will have to buy a new rgb scart cable but then how do i get sound. I dont want an av receiver.

2) Follows the first question really. If i set up the denon 1910 via dvi, again how do i get sound.

I had assume dthat the set would come with co ax or optical options but there are none. i wuld appreciate a reply and advice on cables etc to purchase.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not a Sharp expert, but I can say the following...

Unless the TV is faulty, the only thing that'll cause your blank screen problem is indeed the Scart. If you turn the digibox back to PAL do you get audio and video? Anyway, get yourself a decent fully wired scart. This should provide full RGB video and stereo audio.

When you hook up your DVD player you will also need to connect a standard stereo phono cable between the phono outs on the DVD player and the phono ins on the TV.

No TV has Digital or Optical connections as these transmit 5:1 audio which is of no use with a stereo TV.

Why don't you want an AV reciever? With a classy TV it would enhance the whole viewing experience!

Jimmy

3. steigy

steigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks jimsan,

I do get audio and video with sky through current cable but when i switch to rgb it goes black. still hear the sound but no picture. as it works on pal settings it must be the cable.

As i said a bit of a technophobe so would be unsure how to set up amps etc. Setting up just the tv has been tough enough and even that isnt right yet. once i get the pictures sorted i will then study amps etc but for now just want to get the best possible picture

4. MorseKode

MorseKode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a guess... Does the scart input you're using on the TV definitely do RGB? There may be several scart sockets (not familiar with the model) and not all will necessarily do RGB.

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would pop out and buy a new fully wired Scart cable.

6. MegaTum

MegaTum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheap Scart cables are often only wired to run RGB in one direction. Try swapping the ends around (ie. plug the one currently in the sky box into the TV and vice-versa).

I would definately upgrade to a better cable though - you will notice a difference...

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you got the Scart cable connected to the correct output on the back of the Pace box ? If there are 2 Scarts, one of them may not send RGB. Try plugging the Scart into the other output.

Richie.

8. steigy

steigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fantastic. Popped into dealer today to get new scart and he gave me one to try before i buy. It worked a treat. then also turned around old scart that had used last night and now i am in business. picture is better and now eagerly awaiting denon 1910 to arrive to try out dvi input.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am now a fully fledged convert of the " I love my Sharp 32ga4e" appreciation society.