1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD no good for footy watchers???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Not A Clue, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm split between buying an LCD vs Plasma (screenburn fear)

Made my mind up that it was an LCD then read in a magazine yesterday that footy on an LCD gives a very poor picture (blurring) compared to a plasma...

...this is what the "experts" say - can the man on the street really see the difference or are the experts just nit-picking ?

Given footy is all I watch on TV this is a major concern for me....pls help !

2. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

Iv'e been in the market for an LCD/Plasma and at present am waiting for the Hitachi 32LD7200 to come in stock. I had the same worries, so did lots of looking around and standing in shops watching. It seems that if you would have got an LCD last year then yes blurring may have been an issue, but now most top screen from JVC, Panasonic, Hitachi etc have very good response times and I must admit I have been pleased with what I have seen in stores in terms of blurring. There are of course other factors such as blacks on LCD's and screen burn on Plasmas that have to be considered but in most cases both of these are made out to be more than they are. A good trawl of the LCD and Plasma forums here will give you plenty to digest and the people here are mega helpful, but I would say that often football is poorly broadcast, and LCD or plasma technology doesn't really get on with it to well in that case. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Daz

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No reason that an LCD can't show footie. Just look for one that has a refresh rate at or lower than 16ms and you should be OK.

4. knightman

knightman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is eaxactly the question I have been trying to find an answer to in these forums, and I have yet to feel confident about it. I have a philips 32PF9986, and when the footy is playing you can see a very fine noise around the players- you have to look closely to see it, but it's there, not sure whether this is due to "mosquito effect" , "feathering", or what. I also notice it on the projector I have. I wouldbe interested wheter this appears on all LCD screens?

5. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my 20p's worth, I have a cheap LCD (check the Aldi thread) after about 10-15Hrs viewing the picture really settles down I watch a fair bit of sport, football in particular what i would say is, if the program is transmitted in high quality i.e. most Sky Sports games there is no blur at all if you have a game being transmitted from abroad on a channel like Sentanta sports or something like that there sometimes is a little blur, but generally the tv is very watchable and im very impressed with dvd playback etc.

6. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Go for one of the latest LCD panels what samsung, sharp, sony, panasonic, hitachi have recently released and you won`t have any probs with ghosting and with these all being HD ready you can safely upgrade to Sky HD next year and watch all premiership matches in glorious High definition :thumbsup:

7. saurabh123456

saurabh123456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an le40r51bx from samsung and no problems of blurring or 'ghosting' using sky digital. it all depends on your signal imho, the 'good' panels (Samsung, Philips and JVC) are all the same in picture quality.

8. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set up the 32" Samsung TV last night and was watching Liverpools Champions league match on ITV. The screen had only been on for an hour so not really fair reflection, but the picture was slightly blurry, and like posted above Sky's broadcasts seem to be crystal clear. Just ITV being crap I suppose. Can't wait to see HD sports!!!

9. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Still breaking in my 32" Samsung too, but I watched Match of the Day 2 last Sunday, some of the Liverpool game last night, and will watch all of Everton's game tonight (Come on you Blues!).

Anyway, I've not seen any problems whilst watching football. The image can be a tiny, tiny bit grainy, but I'm watching these on Freeview - I don't have Sky. I'm certain once I've tinkered with the settings a little more, and the TV has worn in a touch more, everything will be fine.

Seriously - there's no reason to worry about not being to enjoy football on an LCD, particularly if you're buying a new set. And, as has been pointed out, if you've got sky and you're getting Sky HD, you'll have no problems whatsoever.

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I have the TEVION 32" LCD (declared refresh 8ms gry to gry). When watching freeview football via set-top box I too get a slight halo affect around moving players. However if I watch football via the freeview tuner card on my PC, at 1366x768 DVI input, I do not get the halo affect. It may be down to the quality of the freeview box, mine's from Aldi apparately the sony freeview box has the best pq. Last time I checked, the cheapest price was at amazon.

This is "apparately" down to live TV feeds and the size of digital buffers. The background does not move as much as the players, so appears clearer with the limited bandwidth used on the moving players. I am sure somebody will correct me, or expand on my suggestion.

btw live action on the TEVION looks great (especially matches with wide screen feed) compared to my Phillip 14" (25ms) & 17" (16ms) LCD TV which are very poor and poor respectively.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    This is a digital compression artefact. What your LCDs are doing is showing you (perhaps more..) accurately what is being broadcast.