1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD - no go, CRT is the choice, but what one?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by benn_jii, Aug 8, 2005.

1. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have followed these forums for about 7 weeks now, both for CRT and LCD.

I was that close to buying a 32" Panasonic for £1500 then reality hit me again!!

I only watch normal TV, dont even have Freeview yet (used to have Telewest - got rid of it - sick of paying for repeats!!!), i watch the odd DVD.

With standard definition TV, CRT's appear to still be the way to go - if you have the space for them.

Need a recommendation on a 32" WIDESCREEN please.. one with switchable 50/100Hz switching? and very good value.
    I`ve done the rounds at Currys etc.., the Tosh 32zp48p looks ok but the wife likes the slim line Samsung WS32Z308P - i have to agree - PQ looked okay to me, really slim (so its not confined to the livin room).

Read plenty on geometry issues on all widescreen sets but for the money less than £500 notes - very hard to resist i tells ya.

I`m actually going insane with making a decision :lease: i had a 24" Nokia 4:3 screen (rebadged Bush?) for the last 9 years!! - so i`m not that piccy.

any advice will be read and valued..

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48 but you may have to push your budget up a 'pinch'. Regards, yt.

3. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you wont get 50/100hz switching on any tv

4. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feed back :thumbsup:

Looks like i`m going down the Panasonic TX32PD50C route:

nice, simple, no nonsense TV

Will post a review, (from a non techie view point)..

Cheers :clap:

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I like the Panny so much so that I recently bought one :)

A word of warning it is bliddy heavy, more so than the 32" Tosh that's raved about on here.

There's a few quirks I've noticed that have been omitted/incorrect from the control software.

1) No auto detection of Component in.
    2) Only switches to an active scart i/p upon power up of the connected product.
    3) No auto volume control for channels/adverts.
    4) Auto detection of aspect ratio for 4:3 is wrong. 4:3 aspect ratio has to be set for detection to work correctly.

Personal hates:

AV *cycle* button omitted (uses 4 coloured selection buttons instead, which have to be activated for use)

No time clock function (useful for analogue viewing).

Positives:

Great black level but possibly not as good as the Tosh (32ZP48)
    Very clear and vibrant picture without being over bright (my old Sony suffered from a shiny glare which proved tiring overtime)
    DVD via progressive component looks tremendous but not quite as good as I was expecting (maybe a better lead will change things... something I will know in a few days)

6. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My Sony KV36FS76 can be switched from 100 Hz to 50Hz DRC to 100Hz DRC. Incidently 50Hz DRC is by far the best, stunning results.